View Poll Results: Has this guide made your EVDO Connection faster?

Voters
537. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! This has made my EVDO connection way faster!

124 23.09%
  • Small speed increase.

114 21.23%
  • No, I don't really notice a difference.

91 16.95%
  • I'm waiting for more results from others before I try it.

182 33.89%
  • This made my EVDO connection worse!

26 4.84%
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Is the MSL unique for each phone, or is there one for all Sprint phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    Indiana is the closest to me from the list on that website..but does the lack of Michigan on that list mean that it doesn't have a tower? (or whatever)
    No just means where the data server is i believe, so then just choose the address in indiana whichever is closest to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by freyes View Post
    Is the MSL unique for each phone, or is there one for all Sprint phones?
    It's unique to your phone..
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    I believe Sprint uses Centers for the whole country, so there might be around 10 of them that cover a whole area for data. But, there are many cell towers. I dont know how it works exactly but choose the closest one near you.
    I believe the home server thing doesn't really matter, what i noticed is the secondary home agent was already set to nyc which im near, i think if you leave it the way it is its fine, the 255.255 setting probably finds the server and uses it. will try to change it and tell you guys what happens.
    My 3g is terrible. I will get three or four bars and my speed is still about 320-350, even with the changes. Anybody know what could be causing this?
    I just changed it back to default home agent, and its seems the same ran the speed tests getting around the same results, so i think the home agent doesn't need to be changed

If you notice the secondary home agent is probably already set to the nearest place near you. and the first one like i said tries to find the best one.

I will test later if someone wants to test this too, i will update once i redo tests
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
    I believe the home server thing doesn't really matter, what i noticed is the secondary home agent was already set to nyc which im near, i think if you leave it the way it is its fine, the 255.255 setting probably finds the server and uses it. will try to change it and tell you guys what happens.
    Yeah...I did it, used the closest HA from the list on that website...like yours, my secondary was already set to it..

Before patch: 920.598
    After patch: a little over 400..then it recommended I do the 1 MB test..
    which I did: 876.232

Seems mine worked better before the patch.

Am I missing something?
    I would not recommend changing the Sprint HA IP address assignment, ESPECIALLY if you travel. The "255.255.255.255" tells the network to assign you the closest Home Agent (RFC4433). The secondary HA is just a backup setting if the first connection attempt fails.

If you hard code the nearest HA per the EVDO Forums.. let's say NY and then travel to California.... your traffic has to travel across the country.

Just $.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    Yeah...I did it, used the closest HA from the list on that website...like yours, my secondary was already set to it..

Before patch: 920.598
    After patch: a little over 400..then it recommended I do the 1 MB test..
    which I did: 876.232

Seems mine worked better before the patch.

Am I missing something?

I give up. I changed my settings back the way they were for the HA (I left the Buffer at 20)...and it went down to about 720..

Then for chits and giggles I did the 1 MB test and got 959.233.

What the difference?
    Sprint Pre, running test at 500kb test file on mobilespeedtest.com, with only the buffer changed to 20. All test run from same spot with full bars. Ran 6 times with and without buffer changed and averaged.

Without Buffer Change: (506 - 1136) Average 818

With Buffer Change: (496 - 1379) Average 786

So far not looking good for me, will play with other options, maybe.
    Last edited by pjjohn73; 03/18/2010 at 03:08 PM.
    I have to assume this is going to vary based on where you are...how close you are to the nearest HA...where you are specifically-inside a bldg, in a tunnel, in a field...etc..
    I wrote the original guide. I have indeed found new home agent addresses that are pingable (they didn't exist over a year ago), but I haven't tested them yet. See this thread for new untested addresses.

Sprint ##DATA tuning (changing Home Agent) : EVDOforums.com

I'll be testing them soon and will update with location.

Edit: So far none of the new ones I've tested are usable home agents. They are pingable, but not working as home agents. Anyone else get any of the untested IP addresses to work?
    Last edited by xenophonite; 03/18/2010 at 03:31 PM.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Brimston it depends on the connection, the 3g connection is not constant all the time its all over the place. i ran about 10 tests everytime i ran it i would get different results ranging from 552 to 958
    i am going to mess around with buffer times to see the best settings
    ^Changing the home agent is not likely to consistently increase performance but it can in some cases. It's really just changing the route path, not the cell site you are connection to. The load on the tower you are using will have more impact than changing the home agent. But changing home agent is worth a shot as one route path may be more congested than another route path. If the cell site itself is loaded, it won't matter.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    awesome, this worked like a charm for me and my EVDO feels way faster. I hope that the "saves battery life" part (from changing the slot index) works out, too. We'll see. Thanks!!
    wow i just got 1270 with a buffer size of 3 still testing.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    For me this adjustment actually seems like it might make things worse. I just conducted 5 series of tests using different primary home agents. For each series I ran 10 individual speed tests at mobilespeedtest.com using the 2MB file. I started with the default settings (buffer 7 and primary address of 255.255.255.255). Then I began changing the primary addresses one at a time; each time rerunning all of the speed tests again. I also calculated the average speed and standard deviation to come up with an expected range for each setting. My results are below and at a minimum they show how hard it is to tell if any settings make a big difference because of the large variances in speed from test to test. As you can see, my best average and expected range came with the default settings.

I'm going to doctor my phone and see if this fixes the issues. Maybe some of the patches I have are slowing it down. If this doesn't fix it I am going to take it to a sprint store and see what they say. This thing shouldn't be too slow to stream youtube.