1.    #1  
    Yes, this is a very stupid question, but I can't figure this out. I received an email with an attached photo. I'm looking at my inbox now, and under Today there's the name of the sender, the subject line, the time sent, and an image of a paper clip.

According to the Help app, by tapping the paper clip icon, I should be able to download the attachment. Does this mean the attachment downloads to the Pre, but depending on the type of attachment, I have to then use another app to view it? Ie, if someone sends me a PDF, I tap the paper clip, download the attachment, then launch PDF View in order to see the attachment? Or, if someone sends me a report, I tap the paper clip, download the attachment, then launch Doc View to see it? Or if someone sends me a photo, I tap the paper clip, download the photo, then launch Photos in order to see it.

Is that anywhere near close?

Because, going back to my in box, the name of the attachment doesn't show up. Just the paper clip to show that there is an attachment. And when I tap the paper clip, the entire email message opens up, with no attachment name or paper clip in view any more. I checked the Photo Roll, and the photo that was sent to me is not in there or anywhere. Any advice would be most appreciated.
    Last edited by animemom; 03/10/2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Forgot to describe what happens when I try to view the attachment
    --------------------

Palm Pilot Pro > Palm IIIx > Palm V >
    Palm VII > Treo 755p > Palm Pre!

... and they're all still floating around
    my house somewhere, too...

--------------------
    Get into the email first. Then tap the icon to download it. After the download is complete, tap the downloaded file. If needed, the appropriate app launches by itself for you to view it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Get into the email first. Then tap the icon to download it. After the download is complete, tap the downloaded file. If needed, the appropriate app launches by itself for you to view it.
    The problem, though, is once I tap the email listed in the In Box, the email opens up... and there is no longer a paper clip icon with it. The only time the paper clip shows up is in the listing.

Here's what I mean. In my In Box right now are two emails, both with paper clips showing just to the right of the sender's name. I tap the first email listed, and the paper clip disappears. There's absolutely nothing to tap. All I get is the actual body of the email, but no attachment. But if I gesture to go back to the In Box, this very email is shown with a paper clip attachment.

I've just typed up another email on my laptop, and I'm attaching a photo to it. Okay, photo is attached, a little text typed in, and I've clicked Send. Now, over on the Pre, I've tapped that button with the two circling arrows to go get my latest mail. Good! The email I just sent is there, with the paper clip icon to show that there's an attachment.

At this point, you'd think that the photo I attached has made it to my Pre. So... I'm tapping that latest email arrival open. And there is the text I typed in, but there is no paper clip anywhere to be seen, and no name of the attachment either. From top to bottom, there is my name with my photo, since I'm the sender. Then the date and time. Then the TO: line with my email address, then the subject line, then a blank space, and then the body of the text. Nothing in the open email indicates that there is an attachment.

Help!
    --------------------

--------------------
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I am having this same issue with one of my e-mails that I receive on a daily basis. Most every e-mail I get that has an attachment opens just fine. BUT this one e-mail I get daily that has a PDF file attached shows a paperclip while it is in my inbox but as soon as I tap on it to open the paperclip disappears and there is no file to open. Very frustrating. The attachment opens just fine on my PC but not on my Pre.
  5.    #5  
    Even more weirdness. I just hooked the Pre up to my laptop as a USB drive, and there are the attachments I couldn't open, under .attachments (this folder is invisible) -> mms -> (folder with big long string of numbers as a name) -> JPG

So how is it I can find the JPGs I've attached when I go into USB mode and poke around, but not when I'm in the simple Email app?
    --------------------

--------------------
  6.    #6  
    Anyone have any advice? I tried going to Live Chat with Palm for this, but the applet that is supposed to download to enable Live Chat didn't work, so I still don't have any fixes for this.
    --------------------

--------------------
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Wish I had an answer. I've had the same issue occasionally... I'll even see the progress bar slide as the file downloads, and then, nothing. In this case I'm using the stock email app, update "as items arrive" and a gmail account.

I recommend you list a few more specifics about your type of email, size of attachment, etc. maybe if the forum gurus see enough info they can get you an answer. There are identified issues with gmail contacts, I don't know if there are also attachment issues.
  8.    #8  
    The attachment is a JPG, 123 KB in size. I use my laptop email system - Eudora - to send it to my Pre. The account I receive it with on the Pre is a business account (eg, animemom@nameofbusiness.com). I haven't tried sending an attachment to my Gmail account, but I will to see if the same issue happens. I can receive with my business account fine, if the photo is dropped and dragged. No success with regular attached files yet.

No response over in the Palm forums, either. I hope someone can tell me something about why this happens!
    --------------------

--------------------
  9.    #9  
    The lovely folks at Palm Support kept me on the phone for 40 minutes, sending emails back and forth and setting up a temporary prehelpdesk@ email on my phone, just to come up with the suggestion that the accounts sending email to my phone have signatures that interfere with the receipt of attached files, and all I have to do is tell people not to use signatures when emailing me on the Pre.

Of course I went, deleted my signature from an email, attached a JPG, then sent it to my pre. Big surprise -- even with the signature deleted, I still can't view attachments. Big load of help that was.
    --------------------

--------------------
    I am able to download the file but I don't have a viewer to open a jpg file...what does the camera save as??? Is there a simple jpg file viewer like PrePIx or something out there and what was that hidden folder? I am pretty sure that has a bunch of crap in now. I can't believe there is nothing included in the email app to handle picture attachments. I get that there is no PPT viewer it isn't a winmobile phone but a jpg? I am quite sure I have missed something here but can't figure out what...thanks in advance if anyone knows something to help