Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has any one made an attempt to or installed Fire-fox on the pre, or if not would any one happen to know if that would be beneficial or even a good idea. Right now I'm looking into this, I hope I don't screw anything up. If any one has a suggestion or tip it would be much appreciated.
    its not out for the pre so no
  3.    #3  
    I'm not sure what you meen when you say that firefox isn't out yet for the pre. I was under the impression that webos ran on a gnu/linux platform. Does that mean that the pre's o.s. Is derived from gnu? I was wondering, what would happen if I were to use a wget-apt type miror to download firefox?
    Not much...

Firefox Mobile(Fennec) is currently being developed for different phone OSs. Nokia's Maemo was first, Android is probably next. I'm not sure when WebOS will get it, but probably eventually...
    Hummm this could be cool I do like Firefox but i only use it because my work can't block the sites i go to when I use it... ;-)
    well firefox would kinda have no practical use for the pre it would take extra encoding for the flash thats coming out, eventually
    I saw a dude with it on his pre I think it was on youtube
    if I can find I will post it I'm on my pre
    ah you beat me . I was gonna say go to google and type ( firefox on palm pre ) and it's the second one.. I'm on my pre thow... Good lookin TOMI666
    Quote Originally Posted by balderson View Post
    Not much...

Firefox Mobile(Fennec) is currently being developed for different phone OSs. Nokia's Maemo was first, Android is probably next. I'm not sure when WebOS will get it, but probably eventually...
    Over at PPCGeeks.com it says that Mozilla stopped development of Firefox mobile for Windows Mobile.

PPCGeeks.com Mozilla Stops Development of Firefox for Windows Mobile

I wonder what this means for the future of an official Pre version of Firefox?
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I have the X version of Firefox on my Pre and honestly it doesn't do much that the built in browser can't do. Also, at least on a stock 500mhz device, it's sloowwww. I've only used it once for a real world scenerio and that was to load a coupon at a restaurant that wouldn't load in the pre browser. It took forever to get it all loaded up. When all was said and done the coupon had actually loaded in the pre browser, just had to give it a little more time. All in all OpenOffice actually runs better on the Pre than Firefox.

- phil_bw -
    i want opera
    Pre browser is better than opera.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    I have the X version of Firefox on my Pre and honestly it doesn't do much that the built in browser can't do. Also, at least on a stock 500mhz device, it's sloowwww. I've only used it once for a real world scenerio and that was to load a coupon at a restaurant that wouldn't load in the pre browser. It took forever to get it all loaded up. When all was said and done the coupon had actually loaded in the pre browser, just had to give it a little more time. All in all OpenOffice actually runs better on the Pre than Firefox.
    I also have the X version of Firefox and OpenOffice running on my Pre Plus. The extra RAM makes both apps usable in terms of speed, but the screen size is painful when dealing with apps that were intended to run on desktop computers. The only reason that I would use Firefox over the built-in browser was if I needed to print that coupon, since I also set up CUPS under X so that I had network printing capabilities.....
    @vreihen :

Can you explain how you are using OpenOffice on your PRE, and how you got it there? I mean are you actually able to have a reasonable word processer type of app to do basic text editing and NOT having to deal with the painfully teeny unusable screen of say using nano via a terminal window?

This to me is one of the PAINFULLY missing features of Pre a basic way to create documents..

Thanks
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    @vreihen :

Can you explain how you are using OpenOffice on your PRE, and how you got it there? I mean are you actually able to have a reasonable word processer type of app to do basic text editing and NOT having to deal with the painfully teeny unusable screen of say using nano via a terminal window?
    I am running it in a Debian chroot environment on the Pre Plus, under the X server that the webos-internals folks released a few months ago. Building the Debian chroot file system requires a Linux desktop computer to re-size the virtual disk image, and the whole installation/configuration process is currently not something that I'd suggest that anyone try without a solid Linux background at this time. With that said, the webos-internals folks have promised to simplify the process so that anyone can install the Debian chroot and X, but they have not released anything yet other than their initial research and proof-of-concept that I'm using. I just hope that they haven't been discouraged by the poor performance of this environment on an original Pre, since it was slow due to lack of RAM but performs acceptably on a Pre Plus. (Actually, OpenOffice loads faster on my Pre Plus than it does on my IBM X60 notebook!) http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ver-xterm.html

As I wrote above, the screen size is painful when dealing with apps that were intended to run on desktop computers. The webos-internals folks are supposedly also working on making the X server support a larger virtual desktop, so that you can scroll through the running X application's screen just like the Pre's web browser can scroll around a web page. Pinch to zoom would be nice, but I doubt that will happen.

When you load Firefox under this environment, 40% of the Pre's tiny screen is covered by toolbars in landscape mode. In portrait mode, the screen is too narrow to even display the full toolbars. OpenOffice writer is also best viewed in landscape mode, which is fun when the phone has a portrait keyboard. Dialog windows like File | Open are bigger than the screen, and with no scrollbars on them are impossible to navigate to hit the OK button at the bottom. You can almost make out the screen layout in this blurry picture that I posted last month:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-pre-plus.html

The short answer to your question is that you can have a *full* word processor app on your Pre, along with a spreadsheet and presentation editor as well. However, as it sits today, the screen resolution and size issues hinder the usability just like our experience with nano in a terminal window. I'm sure that the webos-internals folks will release final versions of X and the Debian chroot environment that overcome these problems in the next few months, so I recommend waiting to see what happens and keeping an eye on the webos-internals vendor forum here for details.....
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Just to give you some details on a few time lines. First off I'm actually involved in a few of these projects. I'm working to setup a debian img file that's pre-sized and has all of the basics already installed (openoffice, vnc, rdp, pidgin, etc). I can honestly see this happening late this month, early next. Other members of webos-internals are working on a different filesystem approach that would allow installation all from Preware. This method will replace my method but will probably be farther down the road before you see it.

On the usability front I am working on configuring the fvwm window manager to be very mobile friendly. As far as I've found fvwm is the only usable window manager that allows for "virtual" desktop space. This allows for panning around much larger window as well as chasing down dialog boxes that go off the screen. This project is currently about half done, it's very usable but I'd like to polish it up and size some things differently. If you'd like to try it in it's current state the config files are on the webos-internals git repo under x11/fvwm-f3. Just clone that directory and copy it's contents (including hidden files) to your .fvwm directory in your home directory. If that doesn't make sense just wait for the prepackaged setup, it'll be included.

- phil_bw -
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Google's your biatch...

[url= Blog Archive Firefox running on the Palm Pre (mostly)[/url]
    Everything is suppose to be comin but it's not here yet!! I guess this not going to happen
    How about Chrome?
    Is this proyect Dead?
    Nokia 1100 - Alcatel OT156A - Motorola C650 - Motorola v220i - Motorola V555 - The Great Motorola V360 - The Amazing Treo 650 - Treo 750 - Original Palm Pre (1.4.5) - Palm Pre2 (2.1) + Touchpad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast