Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well it seems that testing for the 720/800mhz kernel patches has concluded and support for them has been dropped. I was part of the Alpha testing group (fun while it lasted) and had the 800mhz installed and never had issues on 1.3.5.1. However, I haven't had the guts to install it on 1.4, just wanted to see if any of the other alpha testers had bitten the bullet.
    doesn't work.

I installed it on to the 1.4 and it breaks EVDO data

the EV would eventually work, but always error out and give a 'please enable network' menu prior to evry data connection.

if you have wifi on always thoug, it will work

the bug does not affect wifi.

PS- I submitted this info to unipschyo as well
  3.    #3  
    That sucks, running the phone at 500 is torture now that I know how fast this phone can be.

p.s.
    did removing the patch fix the problem or are you now stuck without EVDO?
    remoed patch fixed problem
    I don't think Unixpsycho has the kernals needed for 1.4 so personally I would not try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    That sucks, running the phone at 500 is torture now that I know how fast this phone can be.
    Umm... why don't you run it at 600 then?
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Umm... why don't you run it at 600 then?
    because 800 is ALOT smoother
    I agree. 800 is way faster. I tried installing it on 1.4 an my phone was going super slow! All connections kept breaking. If someone would like to continue this research, please tell us! I would gladly team up with anyone to bring this over to 1.4.
    I think 800mhz might have fried my phone... i stayed with 1.3.5.1 and kept 800 running and this morning it became unusable with critical memory errors. I doctored and the problem was still there and just as bad. A sprint service guy is tryin to fix it right now
    Weird, I have it running on 1.4 with no issues apart from the smoothest Pre experience ever, and a nice hit in battery drain

I wasn't aware the support got dropped, the email said that one of the two devels would drop, but hoping that the other one would continue working on it

It must be differences in the CPU batches, mine is a GSM Telcel Pre, bought on Dec. 12 and it runs beautifully.
    I had a few private messages from forum members, and it is believed that GSM radio is not affected by the Data Bug..

From the other poster, GSM Pres work OKAY with 800mhz, however for CDMA Sprint and Verizon users, EVDO is broken

Good for you GSM folks
    I was an alpha tester as well. After I was done with my testing, and 1.4 dropped I moved onto the 600 mhz patch and everything is awesome.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I liked the 720MHz, but 800 didn't seem to be enough of a difference to me to justify the increase risk of problems. It seems we were running up against a memory/cache limit with the speed, since running at 800 would speed up some things, but others, like scrolling long lists, would still lag.

For now, I'm back to chugging along at 600MHz on 1.4. The source for 1.4 is up now (or should be soon), so I bet Marco will start working with that. I'm sure he's busy, though, so I don't want to pressure him.
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Weird, I have it running on 1.4 with no issues apart from the smoothest Pre experience ever, and a nice hit in battery drain

It must be differences in the CPU batches, mine is a GSM Telcel Pre, bought on Dec. 12 and it runs beautifully.
    Heh... give it another week, or even FOUR.

I'd be surprised if even one person could actually make it a whole month with the 800 patch.
    800Mhz working fine on my GSM Palm Pre.

Most Apps loading in and ~2 Seconds, and its damn fast now, can't really complain speed wise now.

However my battery *seems* to have taken a significant hit. Will update with Battery Monitor test results in due course.
    The 800 patch doesn't break the Pre. It doesn't even heat it up out of the ordinary. We learned that after EXTENSIVE testing. That is why this project is so important. If you are out there Marco, I hope you are reading this.
    Heh... give it another week, or even FOUR.

I'd be surprised if even one person could actually make it a whole month with the 800 patch.
    Any particular reason for this statement? If any patch which will definitely cause significant damage to my phone, i want to know about it
  18.    #18  
    I ran the 800mhz patch for about 4 days on 1.3.5.1 and never had any problems at all! And yes Marco, if you decide to continue working on this, you can count me in to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Any particular reason for this statement? If any patch which will definitely cause significant damage to my phone, i want to know about it
    Umm... because the hardware was not designed to run that fast. That's why Palm has LunaSysManager set to run at 500 MHz and 600 MHz in games.

Even running at 600 MHz day-in and day-out was said to cause the chips to have an average expected lifespan of 30 days or so. I can only imagine how long it'll take more people to fry their phones at 800 MHz. But of course, anything's possible... and all your Pres will run at 800 MHz until the end of time...

If you want NO problems, you shouldn't even be using Preware and other homebrew... but at least that can only possibly cause "significant damage" to the software. Only a patch like this that tweaks the hardware can possibly damage the phone for good.

Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    I ran the 800mhz patch for about 4 days on 1.3.5.1 and never had any problems at all! And yes Marco, if you decide to continue working on this, you can count me in to help.
    How long did caj run the 800 MHz patch before his phone fried?
  20.    #20  
    Umm... because the hardware was not designed to run that fast. That's why Palm has LunaSysManager set to run at 500 MHz and 600 MHz in games.

Even running at 600 MHz day-in and day-out was said to cause the chips to have an average expected lifespan of 30 days or so. I can only imagine how long it'll take more people to fry their phones at 800 MHz. But of course, anything's possible... and all your Pres will run at 800 MHz until the end of time...

If you want NO problems, you shouldn't even be using Preware and other homebrew... but at least that can only possibly cause "significant damage" to the software. Only a patch like this that tweaks the hardware can possibly damage the phone for good.

How long did caj run his 800 MHz patch before his phone fried?
    yeah, if I remember correctly he ran it on 1.4!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast