Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Umm... because the hardware was not designed to run that fast. That's why Palm has LunaSysManager set to run at 500 MHz and 600 MHz in games.

Even running at 600 MHz day-in and day-out was said to cause the chips to have an average expected lifespan of 30 days or so. I can only imagine how long it'll take more people to fry their phones at 800 MHz. But of course, anything's possible... and all your Pres will run at 800 MHz until the end of time...

If you want NO problems, you shouldn't even be using Preware and other homebrew... but at least that can only possibly cause "significant damage" to the software. Only a patch like this that tweaks the hardware can possibly damage the phone for good.
    I've had the 600 patch for about three months now, and part of that time was with the 800 also....
    You, my good sir, are against all that is good for Pre. Without homebrew, the Pre would have failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by abiezerf View Post
    I've had the 600 patch for about three months now, and part of that time was with the 800 also....
    You, my good sir, are against all that is good for Pre. Without homebrew, the Pre would have failed.
    What makes you think I'm against homebrew?

In a nutshell, I said... "If you aren't willing to take risks on a production device, use the phone how Palm distributed it to you."

Of course I would advocate that people use homebrew in 99.99% of circumstances, but they need to be prepared for things that Palm cannot help them with [and they need to be prepared to read in order to prevent breakage during an update]. I also would NOT advocate using anything above the 600 Luna patch unless you're truly willing to replace the hardware within the next month or so.

NOTE: I did not say anything WILL break. I said:
    BE PREPARED!! IF YOU'RE NOT WILLING TO FIX THE BREAKAGE WITH A SMILE ON YOUR FACE, STICK TO STOCK.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    BE PREPARED!! IF YOU'RE NOT WILLING TO FIX THE BREAKAGE WITH A SMILE ON YOUR FACE, STICK TO STOCK.
    That's the reason I entered the testing team for 720/800

Managed to get 1.4 on a Telcel Pre, and used Marco's 800Mhz Kernel.

Battery hurts a bit, but at least my Pre runs solid as a rock! For the time being, that is. Maybe I'll stick to 720 later and keep it running there

Homebrew is the best that could have happened to Palm, and Kudos to them to have let us keep it.

As for the "overclocking" patches, we were told that there would be no responsibilities if the devoce would ever break, and we all accepted that. They're our devices and we can do whatever we like with them. We paid for them
    well if your out there Marco I'm in for more pre slammin jammin speed testing ha!!!
    I ran both the 800&720 patches and came to the conclusion that the 720 was better in that I had almost no glitches at all and the OS ran like a dream !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I was not in on the initial testing, but I would like to be in on round 2 if there is one. I had all variants of the prior overclocking patches in the past and they worked great for the most part. Got a new Pre recently because of the stuck in headset mode issue. I am willing to get some good data with the 720/800mhz if Marco had the time to resurrect it all for the 1.4 OS.
    800mhz didn't kill it! turns out my phone is fine... Must have been a software problem. I would love to go back to 800mhz if it comes to 1.4.
    I was a tester also. If 720/800 comes back around please count me back in as well.
    caj2008 you seem to be in better spirits today.
    [QUOTE=caj2008;2271542]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Any particular reason for this statement? If any patch which will definitely cause significant damage to my phone, i want to know about it [/QUO

Overclocking patches will shorten the lifetime of a phone. If 200 for a new phone doesn't matter, go for it
    200?? were you on sprint with TEP?
    I agree! The 720/800 were EXTREMELY effective in 1.3.5.

Apparently gsm works great w/ these (i wish i had gsm) but I can attest to the fact that the 720/800 WILL NOT play nice w/ cdma running 1.4

Hopefully marco will get back on this! I now am one of the guys saying how slow the Pre seems, after the 800mhz patch Im spoiled! lol
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Had an expert look at my phone...totally fried cpu like bacon. I knew the risks.
    but this was because you installed it on 1.4 right?
    it really does stink to be on a phone thas this slow but i think over time i will get used to it ... i can only hope ....
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    it really does stink to be on a phone thas this slow but i think over time i will get used to it ... i can only hope ....
    I think that part what's holding back webos is this slow processor! After using the 800mhz patch I saw how smooth and fast WebOS could be.
    I will start a thread on the results from 720 and 800 MHz patch on OS1.3.5.1 soon. Keep posted. I owe this effort to the alpha testers who worked hard. This won't take too much time and we can just show a screenshot of data. Just wait a few days so I can look at the statistics. I won't be doing any new tests (time issues) and I really believe the Pre lifetime is shortened (maybe the C40 will be better)

caj2008
    can you give a link to where the stats on the c40 are please ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Hopefully the c40 wont even need a cpu patch... though more speed is nice when it comes to anything.

caj, did you see any pre's at the place you went? there were none where I went. How long did they tell you for a replacement on insurance?
    Actually 100 with warranty but I could not wait
    Actually, free with warranty (which everybody is still under) and $100 with insurance. :P

Just be warned, you only get three insurance claims before they drop you. Then it's $500+ for a replacement phone!!

600 MHz patch on 1.4 did me in how embarrassing
    Wow... I was gonna install the 600 on 1.4, but now I'm thinking that's not the best idea.
    can you say snapdragon !!!!!!!! ha!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    600 MHz patch on 1.4 did me in how embarrassing
    Lets have a quick electronics lesson if we can. Heat is the enemy, especially with smd (surface mount devices) components. Resistors, capacitors, transistors, chipsets, ...all are affected by heat. Heat brings around end of life far sooner than one would typically expect under normal operating circumstances.

The problem with SMD components is they cannot dissipate heat like their ancient brothers ie carbon wound resistors. There simply isnt the surface area to allow this. And what you typically see is out-of-spec resultants rather than actual component failures. In other words if you are relying on a resistor to provide over-current protection to say...oh..a CPU...that particular protection may be compromised.

So i doubt it was actually the 600 MHz patch that fried your CPU, but rather a component, or other components, that weakened or failed due to the excess heat that allowed the CPU to actually fail.

We all knew the risks when we undertook the Alpha testing and it may seem as though some of the fears may be justified. But it seems as though people want increased performance (and rightfully so) but it may not be purely a matter of what the CPU can and can't handle.

Just words to the wise
    Mmmmmmmmmm, forbidden donut.....
    I took it to my buddy who tested the components and he told me it looked like I overclocked it (he has seen it before) with other phones. I did not tell him anything...you be the judge
    i dont doubt that, we all know overclocking generates excess heat. Its not only the CPU that suffers is what I'm getting at
    I'm just trying to add a little reality check here as people scream for the 800 MHz patch to be re-released. We all want better performance and try anything without first weighing the consequences. The boost in performance was unquestioned and appreciated.

My biggest concern is that we dont truly know the CPU temp reading. The temp in the battery app was purely the battery and nothing else. Nobody really knows what the CPU temp was unless somebody stuck a thermocouple on it to see what it was running at. Depending on placement the CPU could have reached temps far higher. Also we need to consider the Droid overclocking and what that really means. We really dont know how they dissipate the heat...the could have a heat sink on the CPU that allows higher temps. The droid is big enough to allow something in that regards.

And I do appreciate the irony of my signature
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast