Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Fixed.

Didn't see this post a couple of pages back.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2270436
    I just installed the patch having never heard of it until today. My phone is noticeably faster. I know it goes without saying but yes Im running 1.4

EDIT: And running fine as well.
    Last edited by supertzar1; 03/07/2010 at 04:33 AM. Reason: more info
    i set this up yesterday and i can definitely see a difference in speed. not earth shattering but worth it in my opinion. i've had no problems at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    550 and 600 MHz...my thoughts

I have known done hundreds of tests on OS1.4 and OS1.3.5.1 using the 600 MHz patch using two different Pre's. I installed the 600 MHz patch too soon after the OS1.4 update (needs 1-2 days to stabilize) and after I ran extreme extensive cpu tests. The combination of the two did in my Pre. I can assure you the 550 and 600 MHz patches are safe on all OS's if you allow your OS install to stabilize first (1-2 days without patch). Two other people bricked there Pre's but one installed the LunaSysMgr from the old update over the new (didnt uninstall patch before update) and the other also put his system under stress (nonequilibrium conditions). In my opinion, under equilibrium conditions (equilibrate for 1-2 days and make sure uninstall before update), the worst thing that can happen is a frozen screen which can be undone by my Pre Unbrick Procedure (signature thread 1)-if it has poor cpu build. To actually damage the cpu in my opinion requires more extreme measures which I have intentionally done. Hence, in my final opinion over time I have determined that these patches are not dangerous. I have now put 3 Pre's to its limits and only damaged one cpu (my fault). My current Pre has been running at 800 MHz for all programs for well over a week now with no visible signs of damage (passes all tests). Will report more on long term stability at 800 MHz in due course...I am willing to destroy another one for you guys!!
    great to have you back. r u running the 800 on 1.4? thanks
    cool
    works great
    im glad i got it to work
    what else are you all doing with the new speed
    two more post
    one more..sorry you all had to have a certain amount to obtain link..lol
    Anyone wanna hit me up with the patch via pm or something?
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    What happen to the Luna600 patch? I did a search but I still can't find it. I have it saved on my computer at work but I don't go back till Wed.
    Running for 3 days under 1.4 w/ no problems.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    In my opinion, the best time to install the 550 and 600 patches is best after 1-2 days running on OS1.4. The system has had a chance to best equilibrate on your phone and I believe there is less risk. Did you notice the the OS appears a bit unstable particularly during the first day (for reasons clear). This was noticed by others as well. This could be be additional strain on the system if the patch is installed (working theory). I pulled the links for a few hours primarily for the purpose of lowering the potential of issues with iffy hardware not being properly equilibrated. I believe it is possible my phone frakked from since OS1.4 wasnt properly equilibrated (or that it was its time hardware wise). I do believe these patches are safe for the majority.
    caj2008, I respect your opinion, but I don't believe that there is any "equilibrating" to be done. In theory, computers (hardware) have no memory of what they did yesterday. If you tell the system to run with a clock of 600MHz instead of 500, it doesn't boot up "knowing" that it's overclocked. I also don't think that iffy hardware is the issue, unless your patch is doing more than changing the values in LunaSysMgr. If the phone can play an SDL game, it can run everything else at 600MHz without a problem.

While changing things like clock speeds is obviously outside the scope of a warranty, it's theoretically no different (but in practice much less stressful) than playing a game such as Need For Speed for a couple of hours. I have always put my phones up to 600MHz soon after updating, but I've also done it by hand and I have a good understanding of what I'm doing.

Again, this is just how I feel, and I respect and appreciate all that you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by completethought View Post
    What happen to the Luna600 patch? I did a search but I still can't find it. I have it saved on my computer at work but I don't go back till Wed.
    send me your email i will send it to you
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by FuManChuu View Post
    Anyone wanna hit me up with the patch via pm or something?
    same send email
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Thank you I like this form of debate. It is just a theory to be tested in order to see if deployment of the patch can be improved. I posted because I would like to see debate on this issue (maybe I could have posted it better?) I have since figured the reason of my Pre frakking was not due to the patch, but due to excessive (extreme) heat buildup due to the loading of 3Gb of apps prior to installation of the 600 MHz patch. I practically replicated the results with another Pre at 500 MHz. You can frakk a Pre at 500 MHz due to heat buildup. BTW-I only had reports of issues with 2 other users installing the OS immediately when the patch appears to have shown no issues. You are correct that is speculative, but I was just sharing an opinion. Perhaps it is just an anomaly and hardware specs was the issue. Why no additional reports since then? Most people are OS 1.4 now and are still installing the patch with no issues. Why does the OS1.4 (I saw this) appear to take some time to stabilize? I think that would have an impact on poorly designed electrical components possible. For people with robust hardware, I doubt this would be an issue, but perhaps with people having iffy hardware?

FYI-The patches are being reposted on the original website to be reopened soon. If you have the patch please forward it until I get the site up again.
    Very good questions, that I share! Why/how things seem to normalize after some time is a good question. I'm also curious about those super high temps you saw when installing apps. I've never seen my Pre go over 33-34C, even when running games @ 800MHz. The next time you're wiping your phone, it would be interesting to turn on dev mode while the apps are installing and use top to see what's chewing up so much CPU. I'm sure the update process is most of it, but I've also found that when my phone seems slow or laggy, java is usually misbehaving. Just more speculation.
    I have been running it since 3/1. It runs great. I am having 6 - 8 Luna locks/shut- downs per day. It did this since 1.4 was installed prior to the patch. My Pre was Dr'ed the day it came out, hoping to solve the bugs, and when I installed Preware after Dr'ing I installed the patch.

I also have this running on a second Pre with no issues at all, and a friend is running it on two Pre's since the 3rd. He reports his are less buggy. He did equalize, I did not. Thank you everyone!
    Running great on both my and my wife's release day pre's. The only thing I noticed is that this morning, both our phones would not wake up. Hit the power button and nothing. My wife's woke up after about 10 seconds, and mine required a battery pull.
    caj, I have 4 3D games, do you think I have a slightly damaged CPU, or do you think my issues are all 1.4 related? The other 3 Pre's have none. All are heavily patched. Were you saying that them running less buggy was consistent or which part?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast