Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    I can go all day on my Pre calling, checking email and texting and still have 60% to 70% battery left. My ipod last about 5 hours of continuous play.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpa View Post
    That's not true, I have both phones and have push on the iPhone and it outlasts the Pre battery by hours. Push only murderizes battery on iPhone when you have jailbroken and unlocked, and that was mainly on old firmwares before the push fix.
    The time when I notice it most is through the music apps. On iPhone I can have iPod on all day and I will lose approx 20% of battery, Pre I can have it on for 3 hours until the battery is dead. When my Pre is at home I leave it charging almost all the time otherwise, even through NO use by evening time it would have 10% battery left, it really is poor. So poor in fact I had to buy a second battery with better capacity.
    Sorry but there is something sucking the battery life on your pre cuz that is not normal. I run pandora at work every other day and get about 10% drain per half hour over 3g with the stock battery. That's about 5 hrs battery life while streaming audio so your 3 hours on just the music app is not normal. Maybe something is running in the background a lot when you think your phone is idle or you have a bad signal.

Honestly, as much as I like webos, I wouldn't put up with the horrible battery life you guys are getting because the smartphone battery life is bad enough. Find the battery drainer, kill it and enjoy your pre. Since everyone's case is different, the general solution is to single out what you think the culprit may be by turning it off and seeing if that made a difference. Repeat as necessary. I normally leave web, preware and pandora open (paused), along with gps always on and don't have high drain problems. I also have two tasks apps and two weather apps running in background but like my email, they don't update often enough to kill my battery.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ouchstone.html
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    wait... Let me get this straight. You have an extended life battery and are using your touchstone back??? Can you provide a link to how other pre users can achieve this? Thanks!
    ....maybe buy an extended battery...
    Quote Originally Posted by yaboimasemase View Post
    ....maybe buy an extended battery...
    this is the only phone i've ever had where a spare would be useful :S
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Deamon and Spare thanks for the tips, however like i posted before i removed both gmail and exchange accounts during my testing and did not saw a big difference on battery life, i wish my pre was defected but i cannot prove that until i replace the unit that i have, i try every patch out there even played around with smartflex 500 and cpu scaling and still was not getting a full day.

Don`t get me wrong they where days when it was a quiet day like weekends and i was able to get a full day without a problem but thats like not making calls at all and not sms or email at all, i wish i could go back to my pre because the blackberry os looks like windows 98 compare to WEB OS.

Thanks everyone for the tips.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lokitoorg View Post
    Deamon and Spare thanks for the tips, however like i posted before i removed both gmail and exchange accounts during my testing and did not saw a big difference on battery life, i wish my pre was defected but i cannot prove that until i replace the unit that i have, i try every patch out there even played around with smartflex 500 and cpu scaling and still was not getting a full day.

Don`t get me wrong they where days when it was a quiet day like weekends and i was able to get a full day without a problem but thats like not making calls at all and not sms or email at all, i wish i could go back to my pre because the blackberry os looks like windows 98 compare to WEB OS.

Thanks everyone for the tips.
    Didn't you get down to 2.6% drain per hour? What happened?
    [QUOTE=2ForTheRoad;2290475][URL]
    I have extended life batt. And touch stone back. There is 2 kinds,one that is same size as original and then there is the big one that you need a different back. This is in response to guy you would like to know how someone can have exstended life batt. And ts cover.
    I took my pre off the charger at 7am this morning, its now 8:25. I took one call from my wife that lasted less then 2 minutes. No email, no texts, no gps, no streaming music, and Im at 79% battery in an hour and a half. If it acts like it did this past weekend it will be completely dead before noon. And thats if I dont use it at all. Battery monitor is showing 16.5% drain and 4.6 hours left. Which is better then it showed over the weekend. It was showing 29.6% drain AFTER a reset. In the time it took me to type this post im down to 77%.
    It appears everyone's solution is different based on all the cell/network environment. I've used wifi on since my Pre purchase in August (needed to wait till end of contract). I got decent battery time because I normally have 4-5 bars at home. Sprint coverage at work was crappy and roaming didn't help so I used a TS to get thru the day. Since 1.4 I had trouble lasting a day at home so I let the phone die and then did a complete charge, then did it again. Helped but only went from 11+ to about 9% per hour. I then tried shutting off wifi and now I appear to have even better battery time than before 1.4.
    As a side note, I have a 2nd Pre and tested using the wifi connection to start up Preware and using Sprint data on my normal Pre (both configured the same except the 2nd Pre has no Sprint connection) to start Preware and both got to the main screen within 1 second of each other so maybe I don't really need wifi. On the other hand maybe 1.4 changed wifi or my wifi doesn't like my router. Who knows!
    install a patch so you can disable the gps and keep your brightness under 60%, it helps alot.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Didn't you get down to 2.6% drain per hour? What happened?

Yeah id did but that was if the phone is on standby , what happened was on Friday i had a really busy day and need to do conference call with co-workers and we had a couple servers that went down here at work and the phone just die on me really fast and at that moment i did not have any email configure on the phone, i have to say i have really crappy signal here at work but i had the iPhone before and with moderate use and using exchange and gmail i always got some battery left when getting home from work same location same email but then again am not here to compare or bash the pre.

I just don`t understand why some people get so much better battery life than my unit, i would say if someone would tell me they get 1 or 2 more hours thats fine, but when i see some guys here say they take their phone off the charger and using email and doing pandora and still they have 60% even 70% left by end of their day.

I wish Palm would read and pay attention to the users in this forum just like the SEIDO guys do , i had done every tweak you can think off and was not able to obtain a normal usage on my unit.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Normal active usage (phone and/or data) in an area of poor coverage will
    always result in very poor battery life and it's a problem not unique to the Pre.
    I've been in locations that sucked the battery down to zero in less than 2 hours.

One trick I found that helps sometimes in those marginal areas is to
    force the phone to roam. Often there's a roaming signal that's stronger
    than Sprints and that reduces the power consumption of the cell radio.

If you've got your standby drain down to less than 3%/hr then your phone
    is basically fine. It's always going to be much higher while you're using it
    and nobody has ever claimed otherwise. When people say they're "really
    active" that doesn't usually include conference calls on speakerphone and such.

ian
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Roam trick sounds good. I was just going to suggest putting phone into 1x when you need battery life more than download speed. You'll still get your calls, text, email and surf, just slower and if it's mostly a text based site like mobile precentral, it's still fast.

But it sounds like att simply has a better signal where you work and that makes the difference in the battery life.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Roam trick sounds good. I was just going to suggest putting phone into 1x when you need battery life more than download speed. You'll still get your calls, text, email and surf, just slower and if it's mostly a text based site like mobile precentral, it's still fast.

But it sounds like att simply has a better signal where you work and that makes the difference in the battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by lokitoorg View Post
    That`s correct, unless your phone is going to 1X and ev all the time, you can also disable EVDO at your job like i do and just turned back on before you leave,
    add a contact with any name you like and the phone number should be ##3836#

I took my phone off the charger today at 5:30am, right now am down to 60% left.
    I've been looking everywhere for this--Thanks a million
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post

The only issue with forcing it to roam and leaving data on is that sometimes calls will go directly to voicemail if data is running when the call comes in. If you are expecting an important call, it might be good to turn data off until the call comes in.
    I would suggest to anyone experiencing severe battery drain to monitor their data usage over a few days time. I have a pretty lengthy story regarding my battery drain problems that have been going on since before the 1.4 update came out. It all started around the beginning of January.

I have been an avid user of Preware since I can remember. I usually only have about 5 patches installed and a theme. This has never caused issues in the past. I have my gmail account set to "As Items Arrive" and receive about an email or two every hour. I rarely make phone calls (about 200 minutes of talk time a month) and typically the phone sits on my desk next to me all day. I don't use IM. All GPS/Location settings off, etc. I work from home and am connected to my WiFi network with full signal ALL day and night. One evening I went to bed with the phone around 70% battery and didn't plug it in (not uncommon). I woke up with a dead phone. I didn't think much of it at first, but it was the beginning of my battery nightmare.

Over the next few weeks in January, my battery would lose between 10-20% per hour just sitting on my desk. Resets, a partial and full erase didn't fix it. Uninstalling patches/themes didn't help. I finally broke down and did a WebOS Doctor wipe and restored from my palm profile WITHOUT installing Preware or any patches/themes. My horrible battery life persisted. I went into the Sprint store and asked them to take a look at the phone, explaining the issue. They tested the phone's battery by placing a 15 minute phone call and reviewing the amount drained. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Still, they decided to replace the battery, but were out - I'd have to come back in a week (after they called me to confirm they were in stock). A week went by and I hadn't heard from them. I decided to delete the backup on my Palm profile, do a WebOS Doctor wipe and reload my Profile fresh, without restoring anything I'd previously saved. I reconfigured everything, sync'd my contacts, but didn't add my Gmail account, nor did I add Preware or any patches/themes. Still, 10-20% battery drain per hour while idling.

It was at this point I logged into Sprint.com to pay my bill and noticed that my data usage for the month was much higher than normal. Comparing it to my previous months, this is what it looks like. Keep in mind, my phone usage has NOT changed. I normally have ONE app on the phone aside from Preware (when it's installed) and that's Scrabble. I don't stream video, don't listen to music.

Nov 28-Dec 27, 2009 - 180,730 Kb (~180 mb)
    Dec 28-Jan 27, 2010 - 879,098 Kb (~880 mb)
    Jan 28-Feb 27, 2010 - 1,964,129 Kb (~2 gb)
    Feb 28-Mar 16, 2010 - 1,063,170 Kb (~1 gb) -- current usage after 16 days

As you can see, the jump from December's usage to January's usage is almost 5 times as much. February's usage is even worse, at almost 2 GIGS of data. This month (March), I'm on track for another 2 GB. Just over 2 weeks on my billing cycle and I'm already over the 1 GB mark. Keep in mind that I spend 95% of my time at my house, connected to my WiFi. I realize prior to patch 1.4 that the phone would use EVDO when sleeping, even when it was supposed to use WiFi, but it still got me thinking.

Back to the Sprint store I went. I told them about the constant data usage and said it was likely the culprit of my battery drain. I had already wiped my phone using WebOS Doctor several times AND not restored from a Palm Profile backup, so I wasn't sure what else I could really do. A small test of mine discovered that the battery was actually draining faster when "idling" on an EVDO connection than it did when I was using the phone and EVDO was interrupted. They looked everything over, made sure my phone was up to date (1.4 at this point) and replaced the battery. Said they couldn't "replicate" the problem and there was nothing else they could do.

Another week or so went by without any battery life improvement, even with a fresh new battery. I decided to do another WebOS Doctor wipe, but create a new Palm Profile from scratch. I installed nothing, setup no email accounts or IM accounts. I sync'd my contacts and gave it a day or two. My battery life returned to normal. I was finally getting about 1% battery drain per hour while idling. I added my push gmail account back into the mix and had no issues for several days.

Unfortunately, I love my Preware patches and themes too much to NOT use them. I installed Preware and these patches:
    15 px font (shrinks text message font size)
    Timestamps - Clean (adds timestamps to individual text messages)
    Battery Icon as Percent (changes battery icon to actual battery percent)
    5x5 icons (changes launcher to 5x5 icons instead of 3x3)
    Reply/Forward Multi-Mod Black Font (Not sure of the exact name of this one - changes your reply/forward email font to black 11px font)
    The theme I used was Buuf something or other.

Everything was fine for several more days. Suddenly, all my email accounts disappeared. When I tried to readd them, it'd sit there "Signing in" until I gave up (at least a half hour). I assumed it was due to one of the patches, so I began uninstalling them one by one then restarting the phone to see if I could narrow it down. After uninstalling every patch, the theme, Preware and the Package Service Manager, I STILL did not have working email accounts. I did a Full Erase and reloaded my Palm Profile, then reconfigured everything again (did not restore from backup). My email accounts were back, but so were my battery issues. ANOTHER WebOS Doctor wipe and reload of my new (previously working) Palm Profile didn't help. I was back to where I started.

My only choice was to create a third Palm Profile (running out of email addresses) and not install Preware or any patches/themes. I did this about a week ago, prior to going on vacation. Things were great while traveling, I had normal battery life, even when using Gmail set to As Items Arrive. The very last day of my trip, my email accounts vanished again. I used WOSQI to run these commands (found in another thread) to get my gmail back up and running:
    rm -rf /var/luna/data/emails
    rm -rf /var/luna/data/attachments
    reboot

Sadly, even tho my accounts were back, my batterly life is, once again, back to 10-20%. A full erase didn't help. I don't really want to do another WebOS Doctor wipe, nor do I want to create a fourth Palm Profile. Sprint doesn't want to replace the phone. I'm pretty much out of ideas as to what I can do to get a normally functioning phone for anything longer than a few weeks. It'd also be helpful if I could delete my other Palm Profiles.

Sorry for the long read, but that's my two month experience with the "11% battery per hour".
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizzums View Post
    I would suggest to anyone experiencing severe battery drain to monitor their data usage over a few days time. I have a pretty lengthy story regarding my battery drain problems that have been going on since before the 1.4 update came out. It all started around the beginning of January.

I have been an avid user of Preware since I can remember. I usually only have about 5 patches installed and a theme. This has never caused issues in the past. I have my gmail account set to "As Items Arrive" and receive about an email or two every hour. I rarely make phone calls (about 200 minutes of talk time a month) and typically the phone sits on my desk next to me all day. I don't use IM. All GPS/Location settings off, etc. I work from home and am connected to my WiFi network with full signal ALL day and night. One evening I went to bed with the phone around 70% battery and didn't plug it in (not uncommon). I woke up with a dead phone. I didn't think much of it at first, but it was the beginning of my battery nightmare.

Over the next few weeks in January, my battery would lose between 10-20% per hour just sitting on my desk. Resets, a partial and full erase didn't fix it. Uninstalling patches/themes didn't help. I finally broke down and did a WebOS Doctor wipe and restored from my palm profile WITHOUT installing Preware or any patches/themes. My horrible battery life persisted. I went into the Sprint store and asked them to take a look at the phone, explaining the issue. They tested the phone's battery by placing a 15 minute phone call and reviewing the amount drained. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Still, they decided to replace the battery, but were out - I'd have to come back in a week (after they called me to confirm they were in stock). A week went by and I hadn't heard from them. I decided to delete the backup on my Palm profile, do a WebOS Doctor wipe and reload my Profile fresh, without restoring anything I'd previously saved. I reconfigured everything, sync'd my contacts, but didn't add my Gmail account, nor did I add Preware or any patches/themes. Still, 10-20% battery drain per hour while idling.

It was at this point I logged into Sprint.com to pay my bill and noticed that my data usage for the month was much higher than normal. Comparing it to my previous months, this is what it looks like. Keep in mind, my phone usage has NOT changed. I normally have ONE app on the phone aside from Preware (when it's installed) and that's Scrabble. I don't stream video, don't listen to music.

Nov 28-Dec 27, 2009 - 180,730 Kb (~180 mb)
    Dec 28-Jan 27, 2010 - 879,098 Kb (~880 mb)
    Jan 28-Feb 27, 2010 - 1,964,129 Kb (~2 gb)
    Feb 28-Mar 16, 2010 - 1,063,170 Kb (~1 gb) -- current usage after 16 days

As you can see, the jump from December's usage to January's usage is almost 5 times as much. February's usage is even worse, at almost 2 GIGS of data. This month (March), I'm on track for another 2 GB. Just over 2 weeks on my billing cycle and I'm already over the 1 GB mark. Keep in mind that I spend 95% of my time at my house, connected to my WiFi. I realize prior to patch 1.4 that the phone would use EVDO when sleeping, even when it was supposed to use WiFi, but it still got me thinking.

Back to the Sprint store I went. I told them about the constant data usage and said it was likely the culprit of my battery drain. I had already wiped my phone using WebOS Doctor several times AND not restored from a Palm Profile backup, so I wasn't sure what else I could really do. A small test of mine discovered that the battery was actually draining faster when "idling" on an EVDO connection than it did when I was using the phone and EVDO was interrupted. They looked everything over, made sure my phone was up to date (1.4 at this point) and replaced the battery. Said they couldn't "replicate" the problem and there was nothing else they could do.

Another week or so went by without any battery life improvement, even with a fresh new battery. I decided to do another WebOS Doctor wipe, but create a new Palm Profile from scratch. I installed nothing, setup no email accounts or IM accounts. I sync'd my contacts and gave it a day or two. My battery life returned to normal. I was finally getting about 1% battery drain per hour while idling. I added my push gmail account back into the mix and had no issues for several days.

Unfortunately, I love my Preware patches and themes too much to NOT use them. I installed Preware and these patches:
    15 px font (shrinks text message font size)
    Timestamps - Clean (adds timestamps to individual text messages)
    Battery Icon as Percent (changes battery icon to actual battery percent)
    5x5 icons (changes launcher to 5x5 icons instead of 3x3)
    Reply/Forward Multi-Mod Black Font (Not sure of the exact name of this one - changes your reply/forward email font to black 11px font)
    The theme I used was Buuf something or other.

Everything was fine for several more days. Suddenly, all my email accounts disappeared. When I tried to readd them, it'd sit there "Signing in" until I gave up (at least a half hour). I assumed it was due to one of the patches, so I began uninstalling them one by one then restarting the phone to see if I could narrow it down. After uninstalling every patch, the theme, Preware and the Package Service Manager, I STILL did not have working email accounts. I did a Full Erase and reloaded my Palm Profile, then reconfigured everything again (did not restore from backup). My email accounts were back, but so were my battery issues. ANOTHER WebOS Doctor wipe and reload of my new (previously working) Palm Profile didn't help. I was back to where I started.

My only choice was to create a third Palm Profile (running out of email addresses) and not install Preware or any patches/themes. I did this about a week ago, prior to going on vacation. Things were great while traveling, I had normal battery life, even when using Gmail set to As Items Arrive. The very last day of my trip, my email accounts vanished again. I used WOSQI to run these commands (found in another thread) to get my gmail back up and running:
    rm -rf /var/luna/data/emails
    rm -rf /var/luna/data/attachments
    reboot

Sadly, even tho my accounts were back, my batterly life is, once again, back to 10-20%. A full erase didn't help. I don't really want to do another WebOS Doctor wipe, nor do I want to create a fourth Palm Profile. Sprint doesn't want to replace the phone. I'm pretty much out of ideas as to what I can do to get a normally functioning phone for anything longer than a few weeks. It'd also be helpful if I could delete my other Palm Profiles.

Sorry for the long read, but that's my two month experience with the "11% battery per hour".
    Wow, sorry for your troubles man. Your phone is definitely borked and you can't even get a new one. Since evdo is part of the trouble and you're on wifi mostly, force your phone into 1x by dialing ##evdo# and selecting 1x only. Your gmail login problem is even more mysterious but try taking it off as item arrives to every half hour or so. I don't know what else to do. Hope you can get a replacement. Maybe try contacting Palm support?
    I've had the usual ups and downs with battery life, but had fallen into a predictable drainage pattern until this weekend when I put a bunch of Preware patches on and am now suddenly seeing 11-15%/hr. battery drain rates. While constantly web surfing on wifi the other night, it dropped 20% of its charge in ONE HOUR with screen brightness at 20%. I've had heavy usage days, but never that much even with using the EVDO radio.

I haven't installed any overclocking or power management patches - mostly cosmetic things. Here's my list:

* 3000 Autoreplace Words
    * 4x4 Icons v3
    * Ad Blocker
    * Allow Browser in Low Mem
    * AM-PM Indicator in Top Bar
    * Battery Icon and Percent
    * Call Duration in Call Log
    * Change Number of Bookmarks on Startpage
    * Close on hangup
    * Copy URL to Clipboard
    * Device Menu Ultramix
    * Enable Dialpad Vibration
    * Enable Landscape Email
    * Hide NASCAR App
    * Hide Quick Launch Bar in Launcher Only
    * Ignore A, AN, The
    * Match State to Area Code
    * More Default Snooze Times
    * SMS Icon for Mobile Tagged Numbers Only
    * Unthrottle Download Manager
    * Virtual Keyboard

I've got a bunch of Homebrew apps, but they were there before this sudden drop and none are performance-modifying apps.

I've got Brightness at 17%; WiFi/Bluetooth/Data Connection on; GPS off; turned Google background info off, but it'd always been on before; Gmail notifies me whenever mail comes in (can't really turn that down and it improved battery performance before). I got 5 bars at home, 4-5 at work, and 1-2 at my girlfriend's, but after 9 months with the Pre, I'm familiar with what's nominal battery drain and what's in the *** Zone and this is definitely the latter.

The only previous time I've seen something like this happen was last September when I downloaded from the App Catalog a Lights Out game and a concert finder. I was in need of a charger after 7-8 hours when I can normally make it from 7 am to 11 pm without hitting the red zone. After I deleted those two apps, battery life returned to normal. I have no idea what they would've been doing to cause the drain, but they appear to have been the culprits.

I LOVE to little tweaks Preware has given me - Landscape email FTW! - but I can't have the battery dying like this. Right now, it's dropped to 84% after two hours in its case and being on for the time it took to look at my Preware list. Battery Monitor is reporting -9.48%/hr drainage.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast