Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    I'm not so sure about 1.4... but the biggest battery drain on the Pre is SCROLLING.

So, if you're scrolling between launcher pages, up and down launcher pages... scrolling in the browser... scrolling in all your apps....

Basically, if you're using the phone, 11% an hour is probly pretty typical from what I've seen. If you just have the phone in your pocket, doing lite email checking or whatever and making a 3 minute phone call or so.... then yea, 3% sounds pretty typical too.

You have to have consistent test cases across the board. Play with the browser for an hour straight with 1.3.5.1 and then 1.4... and then we'll have better estimate of if there is better or worse battery drain.
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    yeah my pre battery life is pretty stupid right now. somebody at palm needs to get over there in China and see what the deal is with the new battery technology and fix this shizzle. I would get the chucky seidio extended batteries if they worked with the touchstone without modding. sigh***** sad panda :-(
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orizzle View Post
    I would get the chucky seidio extended batteries if they worked with the touchstone without modding. sigh***** sad panda :-(
    x2 -- sad panda, indeed.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Ok guys i been doing some testing and i think i found my problem, sadly the problem is my gmail account, i removed the account and only left the contacts and calendar but no email, like usual i took the phone off the charger at 5:30am and did my commute from NJ to NY , Ap news, Pandora, some txt messages, am here at work and my signal does not help me either and to my surprise the phone is at 77%.

Been running battery monitor and i had never seen this results i have 28 hours left of battery and is only using 2.6% per hour. am going to leave some cards open and see how well it handles.

Now if any of you guys had this problem like me where i have try every patch and had turned off every settings (gps, location, backup, screen low, ect) and still had to carry a charger around you can try this, however i work in IT and i need my email for work and that may be the case for most folks, but for my next test am going to get an exchange account from mail2web and try to see if the phone drain the battery using exchange like using gmail.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I am also getting about 11% an hour drain, pretty similar to 3.5.2. I have all location services off, waiting for the switch to 2G patch to become available for 1.4, as that helped a lot, but the phone is becoming untenable for me. Like Lokitoorg above I actually need my phone for work, I'm on the road all day and need my emails and it's my only communication tool... that's why I bought it. I ran out of battery at 5pm today. I have 3 email accounts set up to 'as they arrive', made about 15 minutes of phone calls and about 20 minutes web browsing. This was over an 8 hour period. Not really good enough.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Had to go back to my old blackberry tour, last week was very busy and my phone die on me at 3pm, i chatted with a sprint employee online all to then about my problem but they refuse to replace my unit and told me to call palm for warranty, now am just waiting for the HTC SUPERSONIC to be release at the end of this moth on sprint.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    try turning off push email, push can be a big drain
    my idle drain is great now i left my phone off the charger for about 5 hours at 92% i woke up and it was at 89% i started using it and when i use it i use heavy: tweed, facebook, texting, email(4 accounts) all at once and maybe a few other apps too, totally killed my battery but thats to be expected, my concern is when im not using it so overall im happy and keep my charger with me
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    try turning off push email, push can be a big drain
    Exactly. This advice comes up in *every* battery thread, and most
    people it applies to, seem to just totally ignore it until they eventually
    "discover" it themselves.

"As items arrive" = "push email" and it basically tries to keep a connection
    open to the mail server continuously so it can see the moment new stuff
    arrives. For a lot of people (maybe even all) this equates to much
    higher battery drain.

If you have high drain, *and* you have push email accounts,
    then switch your push accounts to polling at at least 15 minute polling
    interval, and your drain should go down. I run two polling email accounts
    at 30 minutes, with Wifi on, even when it's sleeping, and my Pre
    runs less than 1.5%/hr battery drain on standby. I can and have
    acheived 60 hours of standby with this configuration, so unless you
    can match that, ignore my advice at your own peril.

When you're active, the drain will always be at least 10-15%/hr
    but you can reduce it a bit by keeping the screen brightness low
    and using Wifi instead of EVDO when it's available.

As for the new Wifi sleep option. This is what happened.
    Prior to 1.3.5 the Pre would shut the Wifi radio off the moment you
    put the phone to sleep. This meant that all background data services
    like Email, sync, backup, updates etc, would use the EVDO radio which
    is slower and uses more battery.
    In 1.3.5 they enabled a mode whereby the Wifi radio stays enabled all
    the time, even when the phone is sleeping, but is supposed to
    go into its own low power sleep mode when the phone sleeps.
    Background data services then use Wifi which is usually much more
    efficient than EVDO. For many of us, this new scheme works perfectly.
    If you're not having a problem with Wifi on even when it sleeps, then
    don't turn that option off.

The problem is *some* people on *some* Wifi networks can't get
    their Wifi radios to go to sleep. It stays active 100% of the time
    which pulls a lot more juice. Wifi is more efficient, but is a waste
    if it's on but not being used for anything 99% of the time.
    Palm couldn't figure out how to fix whatever is causing that problem
    so they simply added an option in 1.4 to allow you to revert to
    pre-1.3.5 behavior with that new toggle. Put the phone to sleep, it
    turns the Wifi radio off.

BTW, someone above asked why they always see 200-300mA draw in
    Battery Monitor's detail screen. It's because you're looking while
    the phone is awake and active. Try this. Start Battery Monitor
    and immediately put the phone to sleep. Come back *after* 60 seconds
    wake it up and go to battery stats. That value will have been
    captured at the 60 second mark while it was sleeping and
    that's your idle current draw. Mine idles at 3-5mA at home
    with a strong Wifi signal. Pandora streams at 120mA. Other audio
    streams run at about 200mA. When the phone is active, screen on,
    300+ is normal.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post

higher battery drain.

If you have high drain, *and* you have push email accounts,
    then switch your push accounts to polling at at least 15 minute polling
    interval, and your drain should go down. I run two polling email accounts
    at 30 minutes, with Wifi on, even when it's sleeping, and my Pre
    runs less than 1.5%/hr battery drain on standby. I can and have
    acheived 60 hours of standby with this configuration, so unless you
    can match that, ignore my advice at your own peril.

When you're active, the drain will always be at least 10-15%/hr
    but you can reduce it a bit by keeping the screen brightness low
    and using Wifi instead of EVDO when it's available.

As for the new Wifi sleep option. This is what happened.
    Prior to 1.3.5 the Pre would shut the Wifi radio off the moment you
    put the phone to sleep. This meant that all background data services
    like Email, sync, backup, updates etc, would use the EVDO radio which
    is slower and uses more battery.
    In 1.3.5 they enabled a mode whereby the Wifi radio stays enabled all
    the time, even when the phone is sleeping, but is supposed to
    go into its own low power sleep mode when the phone sleeps.
    Background data services then use Wifi which is usually much more
    efficient than EVDO. For many of us, this new scheme works perfectly.
    If you're not having a problem with Wifi on even when it sleeps, then
    don't turn that option off.

The problem is *some* people on *some* Wifi networks can't get
    their Wifi radios to go to sleep. It stays active 100% of the time
    which pulls a lot more juice. Wifi is more efficient, but is a waste
    if it's on but not being used for anything 99% of the time.
    Palm couldn't figure out how to fix whatever is causing that problem
    so they simply added an option in 1.4 to allow you to revert to
    pre-1.3.5 behavior with that new toggle. Put the phone to sleep, it
    turns the Wifi radio off.

BTW, someone above asked why they always see 200-300mA draw in
    Battery Monitor's detail screen. It's because you're looking while
    the phone is awake and active. Try this. Start Battery Monitor
    and immediately put the phone to sleep. Come back *after* 60 seconds
    wake it up and go to battery stats. That value will have been
    captured at the 60 second mark while it was sleeping and
    that's your idle current draw. Mine idles at 3-5mA at home
    with a strong Wifi signal. Pandora streams at 120mA. Other audio
    streams run at about 200mA. When the phone is active, screen on,
    300+ is normal.

ian
    I have my gmail set to push and my battery drain is about 1.5% per hour when idle. The secret is that I don't get many emails -- maybe 5 or so a day. If you get a lot of email, taking it off push will help save battery.
    Not being funny but why should we have to go around turning off wifi, 3g, GPS just to get a normal battery life, you don't have to do this on any other smartphone. The Pre battery is abysmal, I bought a 3rd party one twice the strength and that is doing me, but to turn off features that you shouldn't have to is silly.
    Absolutely mental Depeche Mode fan since 1988, iPhone themer, app UI design, PM me for anything graphics-wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post

higher battery drain.
    I think that this was heavily discussed when the Pre first came out, and folks claimed that "as items arrive" was determined to be less than periodic polling. It's noted in the "Extending Battery Life Tips and Tricks" stickied thread.

Just speaking for myself, I have my home and work gmail accounts set to "as items arrive", and get a drain of approximately 2% per hour with minimal activity.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    ever since 1.3.5 my battery life has been terrible. i've done everything suggested. i'm signed out of IM,turned off gps, wifi, bluetooth and lowered screen brightness etc. No push email on. I tried the disable backup suggestion. I also made sure that I have the latest PRL update.

Today I turned off using google for locations services and I also removed some contact and email accounts (were set to manual) like yahoo from syncing. I hope that helps because I don't know what else to do. I typically go through at least 2 batteries a day. And I have pretty decent signal. Right now I have 4 bars.

About 20 mins after disabling location services and removing those contact accounts Battery monitor right now for the first time in months is showing a standby drain of 2.52%. This is making me very optimistic. Yesterday in the SAME location my standby drain was at minimum 12%. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will slowly try to add features back and see how they affect my battery.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    these are the same battery saving tips you see on apples site. If you're doing the exact same things on a pre and an iphone, you'll get similar battery life with normal phones. Google 'iphone battery push' and see all the complaints yourself. Palms battery saving tips also agree with ian and bevcraw. Palm Support : My battery drains quickly
    Quote Originally Posted by orizzle View Post
    yeah my pre battery life is pretty stupid right now. somebody at palm needs to get over there in China and see what the deal is with the new battery technology and fix this shizzle. I would get the chucky seidio extended batteries if they worked with the touchstone without modding. sigh***** sad panda :-(
    Go for the extended battery, the mod is pretty easy. I never soldered before, I used wires instead of extending the pegs. Thin wire can be attached to the phone side by slipping thru the clip and twist it really tight. Then solder the wire and cover with liquid electrical tape. There are good teaching tutorials on the web for soldering, just Google it. It was easier then I thought and I LOVE having my extended batter AND my Touchstone back.
    wait... Let me get this straight. You have an extended life battery and are using your touchstone back??? Can you provide a link to how other pre users can achieve this? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I think that this was heavily discussed when the Pre first came out, and folks claimed that "as items arrive" was determined to be less than periodic polling. It's noted in the "Extending Battery Life Tips and Tricks" stickied thread.
    And yet I've nearly lost count of the number of people who after trying
    literally everything else unsuccessfully, switch to polling and discover that
    their battery drain decreases dramatically. I've yet to see anyone
    go from polling to push and see the same large improvement. Not once.

Just speaking for myself, I have my home and work gmail accounts set to "as items arrive", and get a drain of approximately 2% per hour with minimal activity.
    Good to know it works for some people, but I know for a fact that it
    causes problems for many many others.

ian
    yeah about 10% an hour is what i get :S this means i can't use it for a proper day
    I was around .6% an hour at idle with wifi on, email set to check every 30 min and GPS set to off (apps turn it on when needed) with a power saving patch, but I had to remove it due to my screen freezing. Checking my Pre power consumption with the Battery Monitor app and usage was up to 1.1% per hour at idle for 8 hours without the powersaving patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    these are the same battery saving tips you see on apples site. If you're doing the exact same things on a pre and an iphone, you'll get similar battery life with normal phones. Google 'iphone battery push' and see all the complaints yourself. Palms battery saving tips also agree with ian and bevcraw. Palm Support : My battery drains quickly
    That's not true, I have both phones and have push on the iPhone and it outlasts the Pre battery by hours. Push only murderizes battery on iPhone when you have jailbroken and unlocked, and that was mainly on old firmwares before the push fix.
    The time when I notice it most is through the music apps. On iPhone I can have iPod on all day and I will lose approx 20% of battery, Pre I can have it on for 3 hours until the battery is dead. When my Pre is at home I leave it charging almost all the time otherwise, even through NO use by evening time it would have 10% battery left, it really is poor. So poor in fact I had to buy a second battery with better capacity.
    Absolutely mental Depeche Mode fan since 1988, iPhone themer, app UI design, PM me for anything graphics-wise.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast