Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Last I checked, the latest 550 and 600Mhz mod was made stable by
    removing the power saving features. Has that limitation been
    sorted out, or this one just going to run that much faster all the time?

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Rod,
    Read my thread (2nd signature thread) please.
    No one has had no bricking issues with the newer simple 550 and 600 simple patches we released over the past month or so. These are constructed differently than the powersave and cpu scaling patches (not our work. We are two determined people trying to raise the bar wo compromising safety. Many alpha testers have been utilized with only one minor complaint which I am sure is unrelated. There is an easy install and uninstall procedure and a boot is forced in the writeup. This new patch is more complex and will involve a closed alpha 720 kerenel mod test for the Pre and people are being carefully screened. These patches will not be submitted to Preware if a single person has to visit the Dr (which hasn't happened yet). We are trying to raise the bar...
    Excellent. It really looks like you guys are handling this properly and safely.

Kudos to you guys for taking these issues into account from the start.

(I've updated my original post accordingly)

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    yes i want to try this out ! how noticeable is the speed difference in the boot and program loading of 3d games?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    so any comments out there on this patch ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Yeah, I'm currently running at 600MHz (command line) and I haven't had any issues whatsoever. I can definitely see an increase in responsiveness and overall speed as well. I'd like to know how much faster the Pre is with this modification! Care to post a YouTube video?
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    im down, this could be interesting!
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I couldn't resist.. PM Sent..
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I went past this thread originally because I thought this was going to be a bunch of "I bricked my pre" stories. But you've changed my mind. PM sent. <3 bug reports.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Quote Originally Posted by The_lane View Post
    I went past this thread originally because I thought this was going to be a bunch of "I bricked my pre" stories. But you've changed my mind. PM sent. <3 bug reports.
    bug report??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    any signifcant changes in speed from 500mhz to 600mhz and then 600mhz to 720mhz? and also will this cause apps to run faster? like vba?
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon bailey View Post
    any signifcant changes in speed from 500mhz to 600mhz and then 600mhz to 720mhz? and also will this cause apps to run faster? like vba?
    from 500 to 720 i would think it would be a considerable increase in speed of the overall os
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    PM has been sent
    pm sent
  14. computecam
    So Tempting.....

I would Like to see the results though.

According to my calculations the Processor in the Pre Running at 720 MHz is a little faster than a 500 MHz Pentium 3 (In terms of MIPS).
    in all fairness i dont know if 500 to 600 is all that noticable, 720 sounds like a good place to start...by this i mean not pushin processing too hard w/o knowing what all we could damage, and should def show noticeable...caj lemmi kno if i can help
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Is the alpha testing being held back due to 600Mhz issues within the other thread? Personally, I think that the stability issues with reboots and whatnot should not stop testing of the 720Mhz kernel patch from beginning. After all, the purpose of alpha and even beta testing is to increase stability and spot any bugs.

Additionally, in regards to the OP I believe that "<200 posts," isn't necessarily a good measure of experience, similar to a "long time listener, first time caller," for a radio program.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I've been using the 600MHz patch since day one and there hasn't been any stability issues for me. I've hardly noticed a greater battery drain, if any. I'm betting 720MHz could boost performance for intense apps like 3d gaming, VisualBoy Advance, etc. I'd love to try this out.
    Can we hear feedback the other Alpha users? This sounds very interesting.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    fingers crossed on being picked
    I'll have a extra Pre that i will be able to test this with. Once I get it I'll PM you for test purposes
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast