1.    #1  
    First post and I'm asking for help,

I had some music and a couple movies on my Pre and they seemed to load fine via USB Drive mode. I took the movies off, re-encoded them from .avi to .mp4 and loaded them back on. The movies still didn't play right, so I removed them again and left them off for now. I also re-encoded my music that I had on there from .ogg to mp3 files because some of them weren't being recognized by the Pre.

After removing the ogg files and trying to load back on the mp3 files, my phone is reporting a very small amount of storage space left and my files are no where to be found on the device. Ubuntu shows only 1.6Gb available, and the phone itself reports 1.7 available. I've only got Pandora, Accuweather, Preader and Scoop installed on the phone and have erased all of my music and movies from the device via USB Drive mode.

I can't figure out what the issue is and I've been doing searches on these forums and on Google to no avail. Any ideas guys? If you need any more info, just ask. I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 x64 FWIW.
    Hrm. I think I have the answer, but I'm not sure since I saw you use Ubuntu. I would have thought Ubuntu would be smart enough to fix this problem, but I guess not.

In any case, in Windows USB devices have a stupid and annoying problem whereby if you simply delete stuff off the device, the files go into the recycle bin and are NOT purged from your device.

When you delete stuff off your pre, use SHIFT-Delete, rather than just Delete. This will delete and purge the file from the system. I suspect that if you plug in your device and then empty the trash you will free up some space. Does your Pre have a hidden folder in the root directory called .trash or something similar?

Have a look anyway. If all else fails, just backup what you want to keep and then select all and Shift-Delete (rm -rf) it. Then you can start afresh.

Of course it might be a separate issue, but try this first.
    Good luck!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Hrm. I think I have the answer, but I'm not sure since I saw you use Ubuntu. I would have thought Ubuntu would be smart enough to fix this problem, but I guess not.

In any case, in Windows USB devices have a stupid and annoying problem whereby if you simply delete stuff off the device, the files go into the recycle bin and are NOT purged from your device.

When you delete stuff off your pre, use SHIFT-Delete, rather than just Delete. This will delete and purge the file from the system. I suspect that if you plug in your device and then empty the trash you will free up some space. Does your Pre have a hidden folder in the root directory called .trash or something similar?

Have a look anyway. If all else fails, just backup what you want to keep and then select all and Shift-Delete (rm -rf) it. Then you can start afresh.

Of course it might be a separate issue, but try this first.
    Good luck!
    SqyArc, I appreciate your input. I tried digging around my pre via Gnome and that's how I've been moving files between the device. I had also tried poking around the Pre via BASH but I didn't see anything suspect. I didn't have anything on the device that I didn't already have on my PC so I ended up doing a complete erase of the device.

Upon restarting the phone, I was pleased that my Palm Profile was automatically restored from backup and all I had to do was sign into a couple Google services and Facebook, . Easy enough, right?

I'd still like to know for next time but not it's less urgent.

As for the Linux thing, when deleting files from the command line, you're correct in that there's no recycle bin or trash bin or similar. Gnome, on the other hand, is a different story. So if I'm understanding what you're saying, my Pre has a recycle bin-type folder that actually stores files I "delete" using my computer when it's connected in USB Drive mode? Or is it that my devices still show up as taking space on the Pre when they're actually in my PC's recycle bin?
    The former - your Pre has a recycle bin type folder that files are moved to when deleted - but that folder is managed by Gnome's native trash bin.

If you're running the latest software Gnome is supposed to detect that you still have trash before you 'Safely Remove' & popup saying Stop! Empty the trash! But it doesn't always work like that.