03/08/2010, 04:15 AM
Just realized that the glitch some people are seeing where it
drops you into the first time setup screen when you launch email,
and the other glitch where some people are not receiving phone calls
at all, is due to the same bug. The background email and phone apps
are being randomly killed off.
Normally when you first start the Pre (or any time you restart Luna)
it fires up a few background Luna apps silently. They include phone
and email apps.
Without phone app you do not receive phone calls (I tested it).
Without email app you do not receive new emails (also tested it).
What I'm seeing in 1.4 is that sometimes one or the other or both
of these apps just randomly disappear any time throughout the day.
That produces two other noticeable side effects.
If the background phone app is missing when you try to launch it manually
to make a phone call, it will just hang as a card. Dismiss that card
and relaunch, and it works fine (including ability to receive calls again).
If the email app is missing when you try to launch it directly, it'll
drop you into the first time setup screen. Close it, and the
email app continues in the background allowing you to receive new emails again.
I suspect that these dying apps are somehow related to the
memory corruption bug in the Luna libs that has been mentioned a couple
times earlier in this thread and others. It's stepping on random stuff
and killing it.
Initially I was pretty up on 1.4 due to the new video app, and overall
rendering performance improvements but the glitchy and broken stuff is
piling up fast. Here's what I've experienced personally.
- Email app dies randomly so I don't receive new emails.
- Phone app dies randomly so I don't receive new calls.
- Lock screen eventually stops showing background image and just shows whatever screen I was last on
- I randomly see duplicate top search options in universal search
- Web browser history is often randomly shortened to only 1-2 pages while
I'm browsing, so if I try to go back from the page I'm on (including and
especially anywhere on Precentral), it takes me straight back to
bookmarks screen. Makes it hard to get around the forums when you're
often starting over from scratch
- Camera app is now very sluggish to start and shot to shot, making it pretty worthless as a "catch the moment" app.
- Video part of camera app is unreliable and produces working vids only half the time.
- Phone sometimes fails to switch from Wifi to EVDO on its own and data services just stop until you toggle airplane mode on and off.