Page 84 of 96 FirstFirst ... 34 747980818283848586878889 94 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 1902
    Well I am trying an experiment to fix my battery drain. I have uninstalled almost all of my apps, and reinstalled them fresh. The idea is that some of the apps may be misbehaving badly with the WebOS 1.4 installed on them. With the apps dumped and reinstalled freshly maybe it helps. Initially it seems to be helping a lot. I will watch it over the next couple of work days and see if it is just my imagination or not.

Edit: This seemed to help some. I had about 10% more batter at the end of my work day, but still not as good as it should be.
    Last edited by pjjohn73; 03/09/2010 at 12:06 AM.
    This is a very annoying bug. I've found that my Palm Pre photo roll counter is not adding the new photos I'm doing since it hit 1618 a few days ago. If this isn't bad enough, some of the old photos are being replaced or deleted, I don't know exactly, with the new ones... Anyone else?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Just realized that the glitch some people are seeing where it
    drops you into the first time setup screen when you launch email,
    and the other glitch where some people are not receiving phone calls
    at all, is due to the same bug. The background email and phone apps
    are being randomly killed off.

Normally when you first start the Pre (or any time you restart Luna)
    it fires up a few background Luna apps silently. They include phone
    and email apps.
    Without phone app you do not receive phone calls (I tested it).
    Without email app you do not receive new emails (also tested it).
    What I'm seeing in 1.4 is that sometimes one or the other or both
    of these apps just randomly disappear any time throughout the day.
    That produces two other noticeable side effects.
    If the background phone app is missing when you try to launch it manually
    to make a phone call, it will just hang as a card. Dismiss that card
    and relaunch, and it works fine (including ability to receive calls again).
    If the email app is missing when you try to launch it directly, it'll
    drop you into the first time setup screen. Close it, and the
    email app continues in the background allowing you to receive new emails again.

I suspect that these dying apps are somehow related to the
    memory corruption bug in the Luna libs that has been mentioned a couple
    times earlier in this thread and others. It's stepping on random stuff
    and killing it.

Initially I was pretty up on 1.4 due to the new video app, and overall
    rendering performance improvements but the glitchy and broken stuff is
    piling up fast. Here's what I've experienced personally.
    - Email app dies randomly so I don't receive new emails.
    - Phone app dies randomly so I don't receive new calls.
    - Lock screen eventually stops showing background image and just shows whatever screen I was last on
    - I randomly see duplicate top search options in universal search
    - Web browser history is often randomly shortened to only 1-2 pages while
    I'm browsing, so if I try to go back from the page I'm on (including and
    especially anywhere on Precentral), it takes me straight back to
    bookmarks screen. Makes it hard to get around the forums when you're
    often starting over from scratch
    - Camera app is now very sluggish to start and shot to shot, making it pretty worthless as a "catch the moment" app.
    - Video part of camera app is unreliable and produces working vids only half the time.
    - Phone sometimes fails to switch from Wifi to EVDO on its own and data services just stop until you toggle airplane mode on and off.

ian
    Hi all.

Forgive me if this is posted somewhere in the last 50 pages, but here is my issue:

My bluetooth never worked flawlessly in my BMW, but now that the new update is installed, it doesn't work at all. My BMW service rep says that they are no longer compatible and I need to buy a new BMW to keep up with the technology (haha).

Anyone else having this problem? It's driving me crazy.
    Here in the UK; I'm seeing that my phone (whilst stationary) keeps switching between 3G, E, G and "SOS calls only" in reasonably quick succession. This is totally new behaviour since 1.4.0

if it moves from G to 3G whilst typing an SMS, the SMS text will turn light grey and a little yellow warning sign appears. Often, copying and pasting the SMS into a new SMS then works OK.

I've also had the phone application die in the background and have been getting lots of voicemails whilst the phone has been sitting on the desk when before it would just ring.

appalling quality software.
    Here in New York city I am also having the same issues. My pre keeps switching from Ev to R to nothing, then back to Ev. Still not sure what is causing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInMKE View Post
    When I upgraded my phone to 1.4, which had been having all sorts of audio problems, I ran into the volume icon issue. That actually helped me convince the Sprint store to give me a replacement refurb.

So then I upgraded the refurb to 1.4, which broke Sprint Navigation in the same way as yours, as well as Sprint TV.

So I took my replacement refurb into the Sprint store. After a couple of hours, they give up and give me a brand new Pre.

I take that home, upgrade it to 1.4, and run into the exact same issues with Sprint Navigation and Sprint TV.

What the hell?
    Well, I called Sprint about my Sprint TV problem... I told him that I updated to 1.4... we tried a hard reset, wiped the phone clean and reactivated the phone. It still does the same thing. He did some research, and said that the 7000 error is usually an issue regarding the network - mainly something that happens in Roaming areas... I'm not roaming, though. We waited a few hours and he called me back to see if anything improved... it hadn't.

After some more research, he called this sprint tv problem a "known issue with 1.4". He said I could try swapping phones... But if other people are having this problem too then I doubt that'd work.

Just filling everyone in that has the phone with Sprint...
    I have some of these issues as well...and it concerns me that after 1.4 was in the works this long there are this many issues. How were they not able to produce one of these bugs and stop and say hey...maybe we should fix this first. There is no way they released this update thinking it was virtually flawless. I'm all for 1.4 but with as annoying as my phone has become I would've waited longer this is just ridiculous.
    ***?!? I woke up one morning to find my Palm Pre nagging me to update to WebOS 1.4.0. When I did I discovered that it had wiped out my user accounts. The root account scripts and cron job are gone, as is everything associated with my non-su account. Does Palm have no understanding of how the underlying OS, user accounts, or updates to an existing system are supposed to work?
    Called Sprint for tech support on OS1.4 update issues (ringtones wouldn't play), and they told me to REMOVE BATTERY. Duh. It worked.
    Lol. Awesome.
    I just installed patches and preware and all that other stuff and I'm not sure if the microphone on my headset stopped working before that. (I don't call people much) before I remove all the patches I wanted to see if anyone else was having problems with the microphone in the headphones that came with the pre after the 1.4 update.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WTorres View Post
    Called Sprint for tech support on OS1.4 update issues (ringtones wouldn't play), and they told me to REMOVE BATTERY. Duh. It worked.
    i removed my battery and the ringtones still wont play in the sounds settings thing. Did i do something wrong? When i go to select a ringtone it will not play the preview so i dont know what it sounds like till i call my phone. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by irisch5 View Post
    Hi all.

Forgive me if this is posted somewhere in the last 50 pages, but here is my issue:

My bluetooth never worked flawlessly in my BMW, but now that the new update is installed, it doesn't work at all. My BMW service rep says that they are no longer compatible and I need to buy a new BMW to keep up with the technology (haha).

Anyone else having this problem? It's driving me crazy.
    Go over to this thread regarding these issues:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...r-1-4-a-5.html
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bkline View Post
    ***?!? I woke up one morning to find my Palm Pre nagging me to update to WebOS 1.4.0. When I did I discovered that it had wiped out my user accounts. The root account scripts and cron job are gone, as is everything associated with my non-su account. Does Palm have no understanding of how the underlying OS, user accounts, or updates to an existing system are supposed to work?
    Every update has done this. Presumably it's cleaning up
    /etc/passwd or some such. I always have to recreate my non-root user
    after each update. The home dir is still there /var/home/myuser so
    I just keep backups of all my scripts and such there, and recreate my
    user from terminal app (had to use Terminus this time because Terminal
    is broken).

ian
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    It seems the actually 3g/1x internet connection is on demand now. I've noticed some pages will load part way, then it's like the internet gives up and think the page is loaded. This is gettin pretty annoying, it's happening on some sites more than others.

Has anyone else experienced this or know of a work-around / patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Every update has done this. Presumably it's cleaning up
    /etc/passwd or some such. I always have to recreate my non-root user
    after each update. The home dir is still there /var/home/myuser so
    I just keep backups of all my scripts and such there, and recreate my
    user from terminal app (had to use Terminus this time because Terminal
    is broken).

ian
    Thanks. It was refusing my ssh logins, which triggered panic. What could they possibly have been thinking? I've never seen a Unix/Linux system for which SOP for patches was to wipe out the user accounts!
    Great. I know I've done it without warranty. But I assumed there would be a way to reset it? Wasn't there a message telling that?

It started that I couldn't unlock my SIM and could not phone, of course. A little bit of a nasty feature after patching, hence it a mobile phone to make er ... phone calls? Tried to reset it several ways and I am ending up with a new setting app for the phone where nothing is going to work!

Please, please, please ... I will never try to use homebrew in my life, but please how to I reset the Pre to get it back working?
    rangnar
    Great. I know I've done it without warranty. But I assumed there would be a way to reset it? Wasn't there a message telling that?

It started that I couldn't unlock my SIM and could not phone, of course. A little bit of a nasty feature after patching, hence it a mobile phone to make er ... phone calls? Tried to reset it several ways and I am ending up with a new setting app for the phone where nothing is going to work!

Please, please, please ... I will never try to use homebrew in my life, but please how to I reset the Pre to get it back working?

You have to use homebrew. webos doctor i think its called. If you use webos quick install there is a button that lets you revert your phone back to as you bought it. But everything is erased which considering your options isnt a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInMKE View Post
    When I upgraded my phone to 1.4, which had been having all sorts of audio problems, I ran into the volume icon issue. That actually helped me convince the Sprint store to give me a replacement refurb.

So then I upgraded the refurb to 1.4, which broke Sprint Navigation in the same way as yours, as well as Sprint TV.

So I took my replacement refurb into the Sprint store. After a couple of hours, they give up and give me a brand new Pre.

I take that home, upgrade it to 1.4, and run into the exact same issues with Sprint Navigation and Sprint TV.

What the hell?
    I took my phone in to the Sprint store, again, and asked that they WebOS Doctor it to 1.4, which they did. Now Sprint Navigation works, Sprint TV works, and I can play previews of ring tones in the Sounds and Ringtones application.