Page 79 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2969747576777879808182838489 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 1902
    Anyone else on Bell find that their GPS has stopped working since the 1.4 update?
    Quote Originally Posted by methos123 View Post
    I can no longer universal search for a contact, and also have lost my email accounts. Is anyone else having this problem?

This is VERY annoying. I have to open the contacts card and then type the name just to call someone! This coming from just sliding the phone up and typing the first 2 letters and bamm. argggg!
    you have to do a partial erase restart...same thing happnd to me
    my music volume indicator will NOT STOP SCREWING ME OVER! I can't hit the center button with the slider out and it randomly goes off a lot as well whenever the slider is open

anyone else having this issue, AFTER 1.4? I did NOT see this once pre 1.4 update.
    i cant media sync to itunes!!!,..or anywhere. any ideas??
    Quote Originally Posted by cmethuggin View Post
    i cant media sync to itunes!!!,..or anywhere. any ideas??
    Media Sync can be enabled in the pull down menu inside of the Device Info app, however... it has been broke with iTunes for quite sometime. [an example of how ridiculous Apple really is]
    Has anyone found a fix/solution to the Email app occasionaly loading the setup screen first that you have to hit Done to? Like many others, I have periods where I don't get any new email notifications and then when I open up the emial app, I run into this again. I did a fresh 1.4 webos doctor on this phone and still run into this same problem. It's clearly a bug and an annoying one!
    I also have the email issue after 1.4 where my email accounts disappear, and I cannot load them back in until I doctor the phone. Then I lose them again when I try to add Preware or any patches back on my phone. I have left posts in several threads around here, and it appears that there are very few people in our predicament. I am still looking for answers if anyone can help. Thanks.
    I can't expand my files(make them larger with thumb & forefinger...not sure if expand is proper word for it...:-p)?)! Was able 2 b4 the 1.4 update but can't anymore...very frustrating!
    howdy esteemed.. updated to webos 1.4....trying to reload patches and tweaks... webos install loaded correctly and got apps happening ..but cannot launch the tweaks area.. says it needs to load GNU and other , say yes, says wait while it loads, yes....... nothing
    have reinstalled wedos quick install and same thing .. what gives?
    ..running win7
    hello esteemed... i cant make webos quick install open the tweaks ..new OS ..win7 64..
    new palm pre... (6th one)...new webos 1.4
    new install of webos quick install 1.3
    apps catalog worked fine
    opening tweaks asks to load 2 programs ,yes, install, yes.... nothing
    reloaded new copy of quick install and same thing ..cant get tweaks page to open ... any help?
    This took some time to track down, and it killed my app. I'm not sure what the original encoding I used was for some html templates (used for row rendering in a List widget), but the update to 1.4 has my users howling that it's broken. It took forever to figure out what was going on, but eventually, once I resaved the row template as ASCII only (not UTF-8 or 16) it started showing up correctly.

Hope that saves people some time.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Has anyone found a fix/solution to the Email app occasionaly loading the setup screen first that you have to hit Done to? Like many others, I have periods where I don't get any new email notifications and then when I open up the emial app, I run into this again. I did a fresh 1.4 webos doctor on this phone and still run into this same problem. It's clearly a bug and an annoying one!
    A real fix? No.
    A total hack.. yes, but you have to be comfortable editing a file.
    See my discussion late in this thread.
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-mail-app.html

If there's anyone here who's reverted back to 1.3.5 or earlier, I'd ask you to please run a quick test for me with regard to this issue. Go into JSTop, kill any instance of email app you see, and then launch email app and see if it goes to initial accounts setup screen,
    or straight into your folder list.
    In 1.4 this setup screen appears any time you launch email when it is
    not already in memory. Email app is normally launched automatically
    in the background at boot (it's usually the very *first* app launched
    in fact) so when you see this symptom it means email app has
    terminated for some reason. Don't know if 1.4 is doing it itself
    to free up memory or if it's crashing due to a bug. It not running also
    explains why you stop getting email notifications.

ian
    Everything loads so slow. Today, my camera wouldn't even work. I had to reboot the phone and then it was still hesitant.

Also, my battery is SUPER HOT! What the F!?

Zooming in/out in web browser hangs up.

My phone is completely stock, with no patches or hacks, so it isn't anything that I've messed with.

I hope a 1.4.1 comes out soon!

-matt mc

EDIT: NOW E-MAIL STOPPED WORKING. P.O.S.
    Last edited by mmcclusk2; 03/05/2010 at 01:40 PM.
    Bell 1.4

Killed GPS - As per BELL Tech Support (March 5th it could be 30m to 4hrs before this is resolved) <--- going on Bell's schedule that would be 1 week

Battery life is BAD - used my phone for minimal email - 2phones calls and got an address online... 6:00 AM fully charged by 10:00 am with this use I was down to %49 (regular battery)

Could be a bug but haven't confirmed %100

If you are on a call and use your TOUCHSTONE and recieve another call - once you have 1 on Hold and 1 Active call and your screen goes black I was unable to go into my phone menu's until both calls ended ( wouldn't let me past my lock screen )
    Quote Originally Posted by izkeepsitreal View Post
    Bell 1.4

Killed GPS - As per BELL Tech Support (March 5th it could be 30m to 4hrs before this is resolved) <--- going on Bell's schedule that would be 1 week

Battery life is BAD - used my phone for minimal email - 2phones calls and got an address online... 6:00 AM fully charged by 10:00 am with this use I was down to %49 (regular battery)

Could be a bug but haven't confirmed %100

If you are on a call and use your TOUCHSTONE and recieve another call - once you have 1 on Hold and 1 Active call and your screen goes black I was unable to go into my phone menu's until both calls ended ( wouldn't let me past my lock screen )
    I haven't had the battery life issues. in fact, on tuesday, I spent an hour at the gym listening to slacker over 3G, while spending about 20 min reading RSS feeds while on the bike. My battery dropped about 45%. Yesterday, after 1.4, with the *exact* same usage scenario, my battery only dropped about 35%. So my battery life experience is actually slightly better so far.

Glad they are working on the GPS though. when they went to 1.3.5.1 GPS was touch and go for about 2 weeks. Hopefully it's fixed sooner than that this time.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I have a weary, grim smile on my face. the smile is not because I have satisfaction-- well, not by a long shot yet...

My tale is long, but I will keep it brief, lest I indulge myself in being overly dramatic.

I had successfully updated to webOS v1.4 at least a week ago (as best I recall). Now, I did have some nasty patch issues, that I could NOT for the life of me find a reference to describing quite my issue anywhere here on PreCentral, try as I may (gawd is the search function a PITA to figure out and master... I long for a real wiki for this support stuff, and a sitewide Google search to access it) so after spending a very long time researching EPR and Doctor and patch removal via PreWare and AUPT and all that, I decided to proceed with the upgrade...

Now, here is what my patch issue/s were:

I have NO IDEA how these 5 nasty patches decided to **** all over my device, but they somehow got themselves into a situation where they could not be updated, neither could they be uninstalled by ANY means I could locate here, short of running a webOS Doctor routine to do a brain transplant on my device. Well, hell, I could ALWAYS do that, so...
    Offending patches:
    (& hell, don't ask me the actual real names for these--they're long gone now - this is from a Post-It note)
    *additional days to sync mail 1.3.5-12
    *additional shortcut keys 1.3.5-16
    *gesture area click context menu 1.3.5-16
    *new task Auto details 1.3.5-16
    *Snooze duration selection 1.3.5-16
    AND
    my Virtual Keyboard got all hosed up in the same way at some point- can't install, can't reinstall, can't update, can't do anything. Grrrr.

So, that was that.

I went into webOS QuickInstall java app, and ran EPR to see if it would yank out those sticking patches. No luck. It did remove all the other patches, naturally.

Then I went into PreWare (again--I'd tried before a few times) and tried that again. No luck again. Couldn't get them to budge-- errror errors errors, etc.

So, WTH, I downloaded v1.4 and installed. It was done in about 50 minutes.
    It ran about the same speed, near as I could tell --- after all, unlike nearly ALL OF YOU, I have a helluva lot more than 200 or 500, or even 1000 contacts-- I have 6800 contacts on my Pre (and they were on my Treo 755P before that) which I have collected since my original Palm Pilot 5000... so, uh, mine runs a bit slower than y'all's Pre to begin with.

Now, things were working pretty well. Everything seemed to work fine, in fact. Until yesterday that is.

Yesterday, i noticed that there were app updates available for 41 of my 95 installed apps. "oh! I should update those!" I said to myself, and went to tap Update All Applications, happy as you please. I set the Pre down and made coffee.

I came back 15 minutes late to find the device flashing a Palm logo. "uh oh"
    Long story short, I spent the next five hours chasing steady Palm logo, flashing Palm Logos, 'fake boot ups' (the screen would appear, but not acknowledge ANY touches at all-- my screen background was there, the quicklaunch was there, but NO touch was recognized at all... and ever turning it OFF seemed to be acknowledged about 20 seconds later. It was in mollasses.) So, around and around I went until I found this page on fixing what is considered a bricked Pre, by Caj2008. I followed the directions (though I will whip him later for NOT INCLUDING A LINK TO THE WEBOS DOCTOR v1.4 NEW VERSION ON HIS PAGE. grrr) and I had a Pre smiling back at me about 1 hour later. shiny and new, running some late model OS like 1.3.X somethink or other. (restraint) Mind you, I HAD downloaded WebOS QuickInstall v 3.0.2 on the 28th, and it DID download the 'latest version' of the Doctor on that date... so who the hell knew (not me) that it was not the version 1.4! (grrr)

I put in my profile info, put in my various authentications for accounts and the long path to being 'back in business' was begun (it can take a full day for my calendar (8 years) and contacts to all arrive on the device, after all. (Hey, I'm the perfect "Edge Case", but do you think they called ME to beta test? NoooOOOO...)

Not to worry, the device had an Update app, so I ran it. It found webOS v1.4 was waiting (again) in the wings to hop aboard, and I gave it the Go.

Another hour or so later, that was done.

Now, I had my 5 pages of applications no longer spread across all five pages I'd created with the launcher page patch... Rather, I had two completely empty pages, and all my previously loaded apps on the first page, greyed out, and with a black dot at 2 o'clock on top of them. ***??

Also, no matter what I did, I could NOT get them to update. I continued/continue now to get a message that I need to 'free up memory' in order to install new applications, and I suspect this is why the apps will not update. I don't know, I'm a putz. I went through and DELETED all the apps from the first launcher page using Orange+Tap and I STILL have ONE app that shows up in the MyLibrary screen but has NO icon (just a square drawn with a line around it) and when I tap it, it shows an error message-- so, basically, it seems ONE app is now 'stuck' and I don't know what it is. grr) So, ...

a) How do I remove an unnamed, hidden application?

b) If anyone knows why a Palm Pre with 2.9GB of memory would tell me when I try to load an application that it has NO memory at all, ...

... please send me a solution link, or a set of steps to take.

I also know, from using USB mode, that some 1.2-1.3GB of space on the USB partition appears to be 'missing' now-- only 6.8 GB or so is shown as available, and about 4GB is filled with apps, leaving my 2.9 GB. But I used to have 4GB available. Where did it go?

Did the OS download take up this space? Can I remove the download?

HELP?!!!

Mike with no apps and very sad and frustrated
    Last edited by MCompeau; 03/05/2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff...
    __
    Michael Compeau
    Red Zen Marketing . posterous . com
    I just received this SMS:

"From 900070003867

-- Free msg form VZW: Palm webOS has been upgraded and will be delivered to phone within 10 days. For details go to:
    support.vzw.com/system_update/pre_plus.html"

If they hadn't misspelled "from" I'd not worry at all. But I have to...maybe that's part of the reason the first update didn't go, lol.

I remember that shortening year2000 to Y2K was part of what caused stuff to go awry in the first place, LOL.

Then again considering their Palm's) recent financial ratings it's in their best interest. Either way, they are listening! yay!

I just hope Sprint, Bell, et. al. do the same so everyone can share
    I only have the email problem (once in a while) that others have mentioned. However, before the install of Webos 1.4, I was having a problem with a palm app that would not download from Palm. There was no name to this app, and I could not delete it. It was now impossible to download or update palm apps from their app store. So I decided to do a hard reset of my phone. I erased all apps and data.
    First, I backed up my phone. Then I cleared my phone, erasing all apps and data. Then I restored my phone. The mystery app went away. I think it was a free game app called Asphalt 5 free.

Once my phone was restored, I notices all of my palm apps were reloaded. I had already made a list of all my patches, palm apps and home brew apps, so I could restore anything that was now missing. I only had to restore a few patches and apps. The next day the Webos update appeared. I downloaded it through WIFI, and had no problems. I placed my phone on the touchstone charger and waited until the phone updated. Since then, other than having to resign into several apps (user or email and password), I have not had any problems. I did get the latest webos Quick install and preware. Then I downloaded most of my patches. Like I said, only the e-mail bug has popped up two times. Other than that, no problems. Maybe it was because I was starting with a very recently cleaned out phone. No one else in my family had any problems. We have 4 pres in my household.
    Have the same issue that with 6.8 GB left space I can't download any apps cause have no free space?????

Had 1.4. already 3 times doctored back to 1.3.5 and back to 1.4.

It is frustrating and I get less loyal to this phone. I spent too much time just for a simple update...
    Since the update my screen has been blacking out randomly for a few seconds and unresponsive to tapping or holding the power button. It's not actually shutting off and it seems to recognize the button press as when the screen pops back on it will be on the restart screen.

Anyone else have this issue?