View Poll Results: Who do you think is holding up the 1.4 update?

Voters
959. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sprint

118 12.30%
  • Verizon

579 60.38%
  • Palm

262 27.32%
Page 63 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1353585960616263646566676873113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 3481
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoove09 View Post
    Well, I myself am a stock webOS user. I don't really understand homebrew and patches and I have nightmares about messing something up with the internals by not installing or uninstalling those things right. I would LOVE it if Palm added some of the patches to an update as options. Here's a question for the tech-junkies out there. How hard would it be to incorporate the patches you write for the pre into an application where they can be can be turned on and off whenever I feel like changing things?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre1 View Post
    good idea. i think they should name it preware.
    That's a clever name, LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre1 View Post
    good idea. i think they should name it preware.
    Snap - I was just about to post exactly the same thing

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Snap - I was just about to post exactly the same thing

-- Rod
    They beat me to it too. Who ever came up with that Preware idea is brilliant
    Soon.... very soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by mracacia View Post
    Soon.... very soon!
    That sounded ominous
    very easy to install a patch,,you press a button,,that's it,,you can't screw that up,,my cat can do that for gods sake.thankyou preware guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    very easy to install a patch,,you press a button,,that's it,,you can't screw that up,,my cat can do that for gods sake.thankyou preware guys.
    Is it that simple to uninstall, too?

I keep seeing that you should uninstall before an update, etc.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Is it that simple to uninstall, too?

I keep seeing that you should uninstall before an update, etc.
    That is no longer true!

All thanks to the new automatic update technology (AUPT) recently added to the latest version of Preware.

It is just stupid simple to do now.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    That is no longer true!

All thanks to the new automatic update technology (AUPT) recently added to the latest version of Preware.

It is just stupid simple to do now.
    "stupid simple" is EXACTLY what I need. lol

I think I will wait until after this update. 1) its very close (we hope) 2) I will see how the AUPT works by observing other poster's experiences.

Thank you
    How hard would it be to incorporate the patches you write for the pre into an application where they can be can be turned on and off whenever I feel like changing things?
    It's called PreWare.
    Not exactly what you're asking for, but basically, that's what it does.

You use it to install the HomeBrew apps and patches. When you don't want them, you use it to uninstall. Once it's on your Pre, it really is as easy as pressing software buttons to install, update, or remove.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    1 more day
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    lmao!!:d
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

I'll check it out but I'd still rather see something official from Palm on this. Again, if I have to put my Pre in dev mode to do it, I probably won't.
    I guess you have a choice then. Cause based on the history so far, you won't see any of this stuff from Palm any time soon.

You put your Pre in dev mode once, install Preware, then take it out of dev mode forever more (I'm not sure why people are scared of dev mode anyway - all it does is allow novacomd access over the USB port), and then you enjoy however little or lot of homebrew apps and patches that you like.

Or you never put your Pre in dev mode, and can simply ignore any mention of homebrew, themes or patches forever more. It'll sure save you a lot of time reading posts on PreCentral

The choice is really yours. Since no-one gets paid if you use Preware or homebrew or not, then no-one other than you is losing anything if you choose not to partake.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I hope PALM shows us a little love for being patient and releases the update today
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I guess you have a choice then. Cause based on the history so far, you won't see any of this stuff from Palm any time soon.

You put your Pre in dev mode once, install Preware, then take it out of dev mode forever more (I'm not sure why people are scared of dev mode anyway - all it does is allow novacomd access over the USB port), and then you enjoy however little or lot of homebrew apps and patches that you like.

Or you never put your Pre in dev mode, and can simply ignore any mention of homebrew, themes or patches forever more. It'll sure save you a lot of time reading posts on PreCentral

The choice is really yours. Since no-one gets paid if you use Preware or homebrew or not, then no-one other than you is losing anything if you choose not to partake.

-- Rod
    Speaking of dev mode, is it bad to leave it on?
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    Speaking of dev mode, is it bad to leave it on?
    I second that question! I used to turn it off and on every time I installed something with Quick Install (back in my noob days) but then i just left it on and its been on since... From what Rod said earlier about it just enabling novacomd access i doubt it does anything harmful.

BUT it would be good to get the experts answer on this! Thanks!
    Could it possibly make our phones more prone to getting viruses like a jailbroken iPhone? Could a virus get on and somehow run novacomd from computers or from the phone directly if dev mode is on? Did i kinda give evil people ideas on how to target Palm Pres? Should I stop talking? Should i post this post? Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    I second that question! I used to turn it off and on every time I installed something with Quick Install (back in my noob days) but then i just left it on and its been on since... From what Rod said earlier about it just enabling novacomd access i doubt it does anything harmful.

BUT it would be good to get the experts answer on this! Thanks!
    Could it possibly make our phones more prone to getting viruses like a jailbroken iPhone? Could a virus get on and somehow run novacomd from computers or from the phone directly if dev mode is on? Did i kinda give evil people ideas on how to target Palm Pres? Should I stop talking? Should i post this post? Yes.
    With my phones, the Meta-Doctor enabled dev mode before the phone is flashed, and it never leaves dev mode again.

We are not aware of any way in which dev mode makes your phone more vulnerable to outside attack. If someone has physical access to use the USB port, then they have the physical access to turn dev mode on by the keyboard too.

The iPhone folks failed because they installed an SSH daemon with a known password. In our Preware installs of OpenSSH, we don't allow passwords at all, and force you to use the more secure SSH key authentication method.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Haha, now anyway I can use my superior phone to give iPhone people viruses? j/k lol

Thats all great to know though, I actually feel better now because ever since I heard about the iPhone viruses in the jailbroken phones it had been on my mind on and off

Thank you again
    1 more day!! or maybe even tonight
    --Marvin
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Hey guys, should we pick a Palm building to burn down if 1.4 doesn't hit in February, or do they only have one building....?