View Poll Results: Who do you think is holding up the 1.4 update?

Voters
959. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sprint

118 12.30%
  • Verizon

579 60.38%
  • Palm

262 27.32%
Page 60 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1050555657585960616263646570110160 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 3481
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Good explanation, but it raises a few questions (which some of you may have already debugged to ascertain the answers for):
    1. Do they have servers a multiple locations (for disaster recovery purposes) or do we loose our access to Palm profiles and updates if somebody nukes Palm's office?
    2. Can we operate our devices without a profile? (I'm assuming the answer to this second question is, yes, we can, but it might be inconvenient. We could loose our backups so ideally we should have our own backup strategy if we need to "survive" such a scenario.

Regarding the updates themselves, if the load is significant, many ISPs would cache the updates rather than always hitting Palm's servers. Companies like Akamai (called "content delivery networks" or CDNs) can automatically do this sort of caching for companies who buy this sort of service. Most software vendors (especially OS and virus protection) rely in these sorts of companies to be able to provide server capacity for software that needs to be delivered in spurts of peak activity. Palm most likely has some sort of agreement like this, but limits the number of users they push at once because they have an agreed upon peak usage that if exceeded, will still be served, but it will cost them "plenty" at the end of the month. Ecommerce sites don't mind paying the "plenty" when needed because that's still cheaper than loosing the sale. Software vendors don't have the same economic benefit so they need to limit the rate or buy more capacity as their revenue model allows.
    Most CDNs (such as Amazon's Cloudfront) charge customers based on the amount of data that they transfer as well as the total number of requests. They do not charge more for bursts of traffic within a given time period as their entire purpose is to help companies deal with large bursts of unpredictable traffic.

Palm uses Amazon's AWS services for the Palm Profile backups I believe. They also have an agreement with a CDN which you can see when you download the WebOS Doctor.

So to answer your questions: Yes, Palm has our data in several locations -- there isn't a single point of hardware failure. You cannot set up a new WebOS device without a Palm Profile, but your phone would continue to work even if the servers hosting the Palm Profile went down temporarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post

Seriously just wait till Thursday.

-Toaster

Is this a definite???
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknight07607 View Post
    Is this a definite???
    It's a rumor
    a Verizon tipster contacted this site and told them the date is the 25th.
    It sucks that you don't know who to believe.
    This thread should just be closed and we get the update when we get it......
    I'm pretty confident this is the date.
    After all, it's possible Verizon was the cause postponing the 15th rumor.
    Hearing a rumor from Verizon is like the jackpot. Haha.
    It sucks that you don't know who to believe.
    This thread should just be closed and we get the update when we get it......

If this thread were closed, we would have 15 more just like in less than an hour. hahaha

I would prefer to keep all the lunacy in one place.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    If this thread were closed, we would have 15 more just like in less than an hour. hahaha

Amen!
    Haha.

LOL
    +1
    Valid point
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

I resemble that remark!
    Quote Originally Posted by kridder0 View Post
    I resemble that remark!

You resemble That remark?!?!?

LMAO

Don't you mean you RESENT that remark

sshhh
    That's between us.
    Don't tell anyone
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    You resemble That remark?!?!?

LMAO

Don't you mean you RESENT that remark

sshhh
    That's between us.
    Don't tell anyone

No, I meant resemble. I'm a lunatic!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    +1

In addition, there would be 25 threads asking if 1.4 was out. OP said this thread would be closed when 1.4 launches.

Every time I refresh this page I cross my fingers to see the red "Closed" instead of gray Reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    I'm pretty confident this is the date.
    After all, it's possible Verizon was the cause postponing the 15th rumor.
    Hearing a rumor from Verizon is like the jackpot. Haha.
    I sure hope so...I have my 3rd Pre being delivered today, due to a broken power button..*sigh*...and while I'm hoping it comes with 4.1, I have my doubts. I'd hate to have to sit for too long with an uncustomized Pre..lol
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    I sure hope so...I have my 3rd Pre being delivered today, due to a broken power button..*sigh*...and while I'm hoping it comes with 4.1, I have my doubts. I'd hate to have to sit for too long with an uncustomized Pre..lol
    If you managed to get webOS 4.1, I think you'd be a god among men around here.

I think you meant 1.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmodiar View Post
    If you managed to get webOS 4.1, I think you'd be a god among men around here.

I think you meant 1.4
    lol..oh yeah..I'm getting ahead of myself..

..although if I posted a screen of 1.4 that would prolly make me the cool kid on the block too..hehe

lol..4.1...yeah...comes with cable television and a back massager..
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    are we going to kill kittens to build up for the release again ?
    My Pre has been sluggish for the past couple of days. I'm hoping it's because of the downloading in the background.

Just in case, I'm keeping it plugged in much more than normal
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    are we going to kill kittens to build up for the release again ?
    I kill one every day just to make sure the webOS gods stay happy.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Today I have noticed that i am not getting the fake you have app updates message when you check for webos update. Not sure why just an observation.