View Poll Results: Who do you think is holding up the 1.4 update?

Voters
959. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sprint

    118 12.30%
  • Verizon

    579 60.38%
  • Palm

    262 27.32%
Page 59 of 175 FirstFirst ... 9 495455565758596061626364 69 109 159 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 3481
  1. #1161  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The most common cause of this is using an old version of WebOS Quick Install - you should be using version 3.01 ...

    The second most common cause is if the Package Manager Service was not installed properly. Reinstall it with WebOS Quick install 3.01 ...

    -- Rod
    Thanks Rod, but I have used WebOS Quick Install 3.01 from the day it came out. However my preware install may have predated the release of 3.01.

    I deleted and reinstalled both Package Manager and Preware and have the correct versions, so my problem is solved, but should Preware not have been aware of the updates?

    Thanks

    Andrew
  2. #1162  
    Quote Originally Posted by aharmsworth View Post
    Thanks Rod, but I have used WebOS Quick Install 3.01 from the day it came out. However my preware install may have predated the release of 3.01.

    I deleted and reinstalled both Package Manager and Preware and have the correct versions, so my problem is solved, but should Preware not have been aware of the updates?

    Thanks

    Andrew
    Yes, the most common cause of Preware not being aware of updates is the webos-internals feed configuration file (which is generated by the post-install script according to your device type) not being generated correctly, usually by using an old version of WebOS Quick Install, or by using fileCoaster or PreLoad (neither of which can install advanced homebrew).

    We should have got you to check the URL for webos-internals in your Manage Feeds page first.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3. #1163  
    something is going on with the updater! Could the update be hitting tonight!?!?
  4. #1164  
    Quote Originally Posted by showmrock View Post
    something is going on with the updater! Could the update be hitting tonight!?!?
    Dunno what you're talkin about, my update app is the same.
  5. #1165  
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    Dunno what you're talkin about, my update app is the same.
    it went back to normal....but for a 5 to 10 min gap it was just spinning and I had a good strong connection and even reset the phone....finally went back to it's usual though
  6. #1166  
    12 midnight pac time is my cutoff....hope to see it tomorrow morning
  7. #1167  
    I have a question. A few pages back, someone mentioned a "server fire" that we are all probably causing at Palm by checking for the update so much. I'm wondering if anyone knows where the real servers are that hold this OTA information. Would it be the carriers or Palm Inc itself?
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

    Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
  8. #1168  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoove09 View Post
    I have a question. A few pages back, someone mentioned a "server fire" that we are all probably causing at Palm by checking for the update so much. I'm wondering if anyone knows where the real servers are that hold this OTA information. Would it be the carriers or Palm Inc itself?
    Palms servers host the updates. Altho its kinda funny to think about, the traffic the servers sees while we all constantly hit the check for updates button is nothing in comparison to when the update actually hits (a couple bytes of info vs. usually several to hundreds of megabytes). We can hit check for updates all we want, the only damage we're doing is to our own batteries... ;-)
  9. kridder0's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #1169  
    Quote Originally Posted by z28marols1 View Post
    Palms servers host the updates. Altho its kinda funny to think about, the traffic the servers sees while we all constantly hit the check for updates button is nothing in comparison to when the update actually hits (a couple bytes of info vs. usually several to hundreds of megabytes). We can hit check for updates all we want, the only damage we're doing is to our own batteries... ;-)
  10. kridder0's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #1170  
    Quote Originally Posted by kridder0 View Post
    I am keeping my Pre plugged into the computer beside me so I can hit the "update" button constantly!
  11. #1171  
    I had a nightmare last night that 1.4 wasn't want we wanted it to be and that the video was terrible and laggy. I hope it was only a dream and not true.. For palms sake at least
  12. kridder0's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #1172  
    Is there REALLY an update coming?
  13. #1173  
    Quote Originally Posted by kridder0 View Post
    Is there REALLY an update coming?
    Nope there is no update. In face palm told me today they are closing down and wont support their devices anymore.

    Seriously just wait till Thursday.

    -Toaster
  14. #1174  
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    Nope there is no update. In face palm told me today they are closing down and wont support their devices anymore.

    Seriously just wait till Thursday.

    -Toaster
    for a second there i thought you werent lying!
    had the vapours for awhile too!
  15. kridder0's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #1175  
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    for a second there i thought you werent lying!
    had the vapours for awhile too!
    Whew!

    With all the pessimistic press today, I was actually beginning to be worried...


    Seriously, if the pessimists would SHUT UP, the economy would rebound a lot faster!
  16. #1176  
    this probably means absolutely nothing and i may just be wishfully thinking but sprints support website is apparently down for maintenance this morning, the same place where you find software update news for all the phones. Could they possibly be adding the change log for 1.4? Probably not, most likely its just another scheduled maintenance, but hey why not throw it out there.
  17. #1177  
    Quote Originally Posted by z28marols1 View Post
    Palms servers host the updates. Altho its kinda funny to think about, the traffic the servers sees while we all constantly hit the check for updates button is nothing in comparison to when the update actually hits (a couple bytes of info vs. usually several to hundreds of megabytes). We can hit check for updates all we want, the only damage we're doing is to our own batteries... ;-)
    Good explanation, but it raises a few questions (which some of you may have already debugged to ascertain the answers for):
    1. Do they have servers a multiple locations (for disaster recovery purposes) or do we loose our access to Palm profiles and updates if somebody nukes Palm's office?
    2. Can we operate our devices without a profile? (I'm assuming the answer to this second question is, yes, we can, but it might be inconvenient. We could loose our backups so ideally we should have our own backup strategy if we need to "survive" such a scenario.

    Regarding the updates themselves, if the load is significant, many ISPs would cache the updates rather than always hitting Palm's servers. Companies like Akamai (called "content delivery networks" or CDNs) can automatically do this sort of caching for companies who buy this sort of service. Most software vendors (especially OS and virus protection) rely in these sorts of companies to be able to provide server capacity for software that needs to be delivered in spurts of peak activity. Palm most likely has some sort of agreement like this, but limits the number of users they push at once because they have an agreed upon peak usage that if exceeded, will still be served, but it will cost them "plenty" at the end of the month. Ecommerce sites don't mind paying the "plenty" when needed because that's still cheaper than loosing the sale. Software vendors don't have the same economic benefit so they need to limit the rate or buy more capacity as their revenue model allows.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  18. #1178  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryno8819 View Post
    this probably means absolutely nothing and i may just be wishfully thinking but sprints support website is apparently down for maintenance this morning, the same place where you find software update news for all the phones. Could they possibly be adding the change log for 1.4? Probably not, most likely its just another scheduled maintenance, but hey why not throw it out there.
    Seems fine when I checked it.
    --Inspector Gadget

    "Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

    Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  19. #1179  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Seems fine when I checked it.
    it mustve just come back up because about 25 minutes ago it said they were adding functionality and features to the support website
  20. rogerv.88's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #1180  
    it's also down for me. This is the message they have.



    We’re working to add features and functionality to this area of the site so we can continue to bring you a great Support experience.

    Thanks for your patience – we’ll be back online soon. In the meantime, try our other site sections at Cell Phones, Mobile Phones, and Wireless Calling Plans from Sprint

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions