View Poll Results: Who do you think is holding up the 1.4 update?

Voters
959. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sprint

118 12.30%
  • Verizon

579 60.38%
  • Palm

262 27.32%
Page 2 of 175 FirstFirst 1234567 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    can someone explain why palm wouldn't announce the release time and date on their website? why the secrecy for a stupid update? [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted]
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    when is it coming? Damn it...i have been waiting all day....i keep pressing updates icon all day long...thank god it was a holiday...
    Ditto.
    just to give you heads up guys just talked to a tech over the palm support and this is what he said
    7:22 PM Examining network configuration...
    7:23 PM Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app59.logmeinrescue.com...
    7:23 PM Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    7:23 PM Support session established with Barney.

7:23 PM Jairo Zamarripa: hey barney how you doing
    7:24 PM Jairo Zamarripa: just wondering is your update 1.4.0 is that going to be release today?
    7:24 PM Barney: Hello Jairo.
    7:24 PM Barney: Thank you for contacting Palm. My name is Barney.
    7:24 PM Jairo Zamarripa: hi barney good evening
    7:25 PM Barney: Well, we do not have any information from our Product Management or from the Engineering Team.

7:25 PM Barney: However, whenever we have an information, we will have that update posted on our Official blog at The Official Palm Blog.
    7:25 PM Barney: Changes such as this are delivered automatically by our over-the-air update system.
    7:25 PM Jairo Zamarripa: oh alright thank you so much for that information
    7:25 PM Barney: Your understanding is greatly appreciated!
    7:25 PM Barney: You’re welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with?
    7:25 PM Jairo Zamarripa: no sir that will be it thank you so
    I understand that we are not required to uninstall patches for the update. However, are the themes safe or should re uninstall those before updating?
    palm clearly knows the hype around webos 1.4 coming out today... they have a duty to either: 1) refute the rumors, say it could be coming in the next week, or even a "we hope to have it out by the end of february"; or 2) release it today.

any action other than those two will serve no purpose except to anger the avid palm fans who have been nothing but loyal to the company.

really sad to see it go down that way, but i buy palm because i like the product and ALSO because i like the company and what they do... if they let us all down today, i'll really lose a lot of respect for the whole platform. it's unprofessional really.
    According to both palm and sprint customer service, 1.4 won't be coming out for 2 weeks or more.
    Quote Originally Posted by h3artl3ss View Post
    I understand that we are not required to uninstall patches for the update. However, are the themes safe or should re uninstall those before updating?
    Uninstall themes before you update.
    you should uninstall them
    I have to admit that the initial "leaked" post HERE got me believing that there would be an update today as well, and I'm very sad that we've been let down. I really think Palm should have said SOMETHING about the supposed leak date to either confirm or deny it, but apparently they just kept mum. I was hoping for some love from Palm for Valentine's, but it's sad that we got none. And this brings me to the point of good PRPRPR. $That$ $is$ $something$ $that$ $Apple$ $has$ $mastered$ $and$ $it$'$s$ $something$ $that$ $Palm$ $needs$ $to$ $learn$. $They$ $could$ $have$ $turned$ $V$-$Day$ $into$ $a$ $major$ $winning$ $occasion$, $but$ $instead$ $we$ $are$ $left$ $with$ $an$ $empty$ $feeling$ $in$ $our$ $stomachs$.

It's true that they never promised anything on the 15th, but when there are supposed "leaks" out there, they should either come out and deny it, or even better, try to meet the demand! Come on Palm, I held out over 6 months to get the Pre on Verizon. When the videos of Pre's video recording features are floating on Youtube for a long time now, it really hurts to make us wait longer.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    1.4!!!!! I think I nearly drained my battery today trying using the update app =P
    I hope 1.4 makes it so i can group my contacts
    1. Don't need 50% of the people on facebook on my phone cause i will probably never write to them ever again.

2. I can't stand flicking 20 times to search for people. for the people that have just emails and no phone numbers i want them to be in a drop down menu or something like i had on my Treo 680.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lucabus View Post
    palm clearly knows the hype around webos 1.4 coming out today... they have a duty to either: 1) refute the rumors, say it could be coming in the next week, or even a "we hope to have it out by the end of february"; or 2) release it today.

any action other than those two will serve no purpose except to anger the avid palm fans who have been nothing but loyal to the company.

really sad to see it go down that way, but i buy palm because i like the product and ALSO because i like the company and what they do... if they let us all down today, i'll really lose a lot of respect for the whole platform. it's unprofessional really.
    In all honesty Palm "owes" you nothing. They "owed" you what you paid for when you bought your Pre/Pixi. It's like the person who buys something and then complains 6-weeks later when a newer, updated version comes out. Palm should be complimented for continual development and evolution of the WebOS platform at no additional charge for the end user. They are offering updates, for FREE, that normally you'd have to pay for or outright buy a new phone. I am with everyone else here, excited and anticipating 1.4, but to say you're "owed" an update is quite ridiculous.
    Running Homebrew on my Pre, Wii, PSP and DS. The DS ruined the rhyming that was going on there...sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    We can tell you for a fact there is fun in store for you...soon.
    Sounds like we are in for a treat. That is if you are suggesting 1.4 is coming out soon.

-Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmoons View Post
    I have to admit that the initial "leaked" post HERE got me believing that there would be an update today as well, and I'm very sad that we've been let down. I really think Palm should have said SOMETHING about the supposed leak date to either confirm or deny it, but apparently they just kept mum. I was hoping for some love from Palm for Valentine's, but it's sad that we got none. And this brings me to the point of good PRPRPR. $That$ $is$ $something$ $that$ $Apple$ $has$ $mastered$ $and$ $it$'$s$ $something$ $that$ $Palm$ $needs$ $to$ $learn$. $They$ $could$ $have$ $turned$ $V$-$Day$ $into$ $a$ $major$ $winning$ $occasion$, $but$ $instead$ $we$ $are$ $left$ $with$ $an$ $empty$ $feeling$ $in$ $our$ $stomachs$.

It's true that they never promised anything on the 15th, but when there are supposed "leaks" out there, they should either come out and deny it, or even better, try to meet the demand! Come on Palm, I held out over 6 months to get the Pre on Verizon. When the videos of Pre's video recording features are floating on Youtube for a long time now, it really hurts to make us wait longer.

Word!
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I hope they put the speaker back into 'stereo'. This mono thing is getting on my last nerve.. .
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgaryk View Post
    In all honesty Palm "owes" you nothing. They "owed" you what you paid for when you bought your Pre/Pixi. It's like the person who buys something and then complains 6-weeks later when a newer, updated version comes out. Palm should be complimented for continual development and evolution of the WebOS platform at no additional charge for the end user. They are offering updates, for FREE, that normally you'd have to pay for or outright buy a new phone. I am with everyone else here, excited and anticipating 1.4, but to say you're "owed" an update is quite ridiculous.
    Palm isn't giving you "Free" updates, you paid a premium for your phone, that included Palm's software services (i.e., Palm backup, OTA updates, etc.). I'm an average smartphone user. I use it for business. I like Palm, I believe(d) in Palm. But honestly, Palm needs to learn a little P.R. -- and yes, they do owe it to their most loyal fans to refute rumors that are just outright false. They absolutely do. Otherwise, they lose fans -- and let's be honest, Palm can't afford to lose ANY fans right now... they're losing money left and right.

So, when it comes time for my upgrade in a few months, I'll personally be seriously reconsidering a Palm phone... and it all goes back to an awfully sad, and easily fixable P.R. situation. This is what separates the Googles and Apples of the world from Palm. They just can't compete.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgaryk View Post
    Palm owes you over the air updates because that was one of the major features that was touted when you bought the phone. They never said how many or when, but damn it they owe pre owners over the air updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by mairboy View Post
    I hope 1.4 makes it so i can group my contacts
    2. I can't stand flicking 20 times to search for people. for the people that have just emails and no phone numbers i want them to be in a drop down menu or something like i had on my Treo 680.
    But that is what universal search is for, just start typing their name -- no flicking needed!
    Your right, They don't owe us anything but updates are always free and they will always be free. but it's actually in their interest to update their platform or no one would use their phones. You don't see Microsoft asking for money for all the update you get with Vista.
    Quote Originally Posted by lucabus View Post
    if they let us all down today, i'll really lose a lot of respect for the whole platform.
    Just until the update comes out. Palm never told you it was coming out today. A thread on a forum did. And as soon as it does come out, you'll bask in its awesomeness, and forget you ever complained about its release.