View Poll Results: Who do you think is holding up the 1.4 update?

Voters
959. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sprint

118 12.30%
  • Verizon

579 60.38%
  • Palm

262 27.32%
Page 14 of 175 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 24 64 114 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ddtphoto View Post
    I know I will get razzed for this but the safe thing to do is never apply the homebrew stuff. I never have and when these updates come out as well as with games apps etc... I never have had a problem. When people do have technical issues with the phone and software it seems to generally have something to do with homebrew issues. Plus since the openGL or whatever it was that happened and made the games amazing, I really don't see why these games and apps of the homebrew variety can't pursue the conventional outlet... but I realize some people just like to live on the edge
    Sorry ddtphoto, I disagree. I love everything about my Pre, but the best thing HAS to be VBA (Game Boy Advance emulator).
    I know I will get razzed for this but the safe thing to do is never apply the homebrew stuff. I never have and when these updates come out as well as with games apps etc... I never have had a problem. When people do have technical issues with the phone and software it seems to generally have something to do with homebrew issues. Plus since the openGL or whatever it was that happened and made the games amazing, I really don't see why these games and apps of the homebrew variety can't pursue the conventional outlet... but I realize some people just like to live on the edge
    Thanks.

I am not a "gamer" and have never played a game on a phone. I am interested in altering the icon "matrix" and increasing the ringer / alert volumes, etc. I think I will wait a while and just see how it goes as I get more used to the phone.
    I'm not sure what RAZZED means, but if it's like getting flamed then you're probably right.

I have over 120 Homebrew Apps and patches. I can honestly say that if you have common sense, READ, and follow instructions then there's a 99% chance that you won't have technical issues. And even if you somehow messed something up, all you have to do is plug your phone in and run one of two simple apps to have the phone like new again.

And,
    "I really don't see why these games and apps of the homebrew variety can't pursue the conventional outlet... "
    What's the conventional outlet the games and apps of the homebrew variety should pursue? I'm not even sure if you make any sense. Don't speak out of ignorance, lack of intelligence, or lack of experience, whatever your case may be.
    i think its next to the gap outlet...
    my phone runs smoother and faster with no patches on it so I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Can we agree to disagree? Because I think that's an opinion and definately not a proven fact.

My phone runs smoother, faster, and looks better WITH patches on it.
    OK, I keep seeing and hearing different things... Should I remove all my patches before the update? I do not have any themes, but I do have a wealth of incredibly awesome patches installed. I thought if I updated the Preware it would allow for patches to stay during the 1.4 update, but I read elsewhere that I should take them off...

What say ye, pre veterans?
    Quote Originally Posted by funktron2x View Post
    OK, I keep seeing and hearing different things... Should I remove all my patches before the update? I do not have any themes, but I do have a wealth of incredibly awesome patches installed. I thought if I updated the Preware it would allow for patches to stay during the 1.4 update, but I read elsewhere that I should take them off...

What say ye, pre veterans?
    You should be fine, to make sure go into preware and tap update feeds, any patches you have will say "update" if you haven't done so already. Last night all of the patches got a version bump which implemented aupt-3. When 1.4 does drop you will update to 1.4 and leave your patches on your phone.

I could go into much greater detail if you'd like or you could search for aupt-3 and there are a few threads discussing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    I'm not sure what RAZZED means, but if it's like getting flamed then you're probably right.

I have over 120 Homebrew Apps and patches. I can honestly say that if you have common sense, READ, and follow instructions then there's a 99% chance that you won't have technical issues. And even if you somehow messed something up, all you have to do is plug your phone in and run one of two simple apps to have the phone like new again.

And,

What's the conventional outlet the games and apps of the homebrew variety should pursue? I'm not even sure if you make any sense. Don't speak out of ignorance, lack of intelligence, or lack of experience, whatever your case may be.
    Take it easy, pretty sure when he said conventional outlet he meant the app catalog.
    I have many patches in my phone and I love everything they do.my phone runs very nicely,,fast,,no troubles at all.. I never even need to re start my phone more then twice a week.
    and yes I know restart is one word. For all you grammar police.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie View Post
    Take it easy, pretty sure when he said conventional outlet he meant the app catalog.
    Yeah well I'm pretty sure it's called "Homebrew" for a reason.

And where the apps and patches are distibuted won't change any of the issues caused by user error.
    Last edited by mjkjr; 02/16/2010 at 08:15 PM.
    You should be fine, to make sure go into preware and tap update feeds, any patches you have will say "update" if you haven't done so already. Last night all of the patches got a version bump which implemented aupt-3. When 1.4 does drop you will update to 1.4 and leave your patches on your phone.

I could go into much greater detail if you'd like or you could search for aupt-3 and there are a few threads discussing it.
    Sweet. That's all the confirmation I need. I have done all the updating to date and will continue to do so as it comes... Thanks!
    The only real issue I've had with the phone is that blasted Lose-Phone-Speaker-Mic when unplugging the headphones before stopping music... Thank god the trick found on these forums worked (plug in headphones. Call VM. Mute. Unmute. Hangup. Pull phones)... Other than that, it's been perfect, even with plenty of patches...
    Hey guys. Being as how the guys @ webosinternals have updated patches so that they wouldnt have to be deleted in the case of updates. Should they be removed for safe measure? Need some insight, please help

WELLLLL, i wrote this without reading the other posts, so nvm lol. I got my answer. But What about themes? I will probably remove my theme just in case anyways, but just thought i would ask. Shout out to all my peeps in the forums!

And,

It's just my opinion. I know homebrew stuff isn't going to break your phone. But for me the trade-off in terms of maintenance just isn't worth it. I've read the posts on homebrew and looked into it but decided that I didn't see anything worth all the trouble. I also think that's its safe to tell him that if he wants to install the homebrew stuff just for a matrix app then he should just wait until after the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Plus even though you don't risk permanently destroying something you do risk loosing data. I've seen a number of posts here to support this. I know you can back up but for me it's just not worth it. Before all the great games hit I seriously considered it just to play DOOM. I do like the looks of the music player on the homebrew page as well. But again I weigh the pros and cons and take a pass.
    I have the battlestar galactica theme installed. That in itself is worth installing homebrew
    It's just my opinion. I know homebrew stuff isn't going to break your phone. But for me the trade-off in terms of maintenance just isn't worth it. I've read the posts on homebrew and looked into it but decided that I didn't see anything worth all the trouble. I also think that's its safe to tell him that if he wants to install the homebrew stuff just for a matrix app then he should just wait until after the update.
    Some people love it and might not have the phone if it wasn't for homebrew while others could care less. I see your side though. I personally enjoy modifying things, breaking things, fixing things, etc...
    Computers are really my thing and now that technology has came so far that I actually can have a micro computer in my pocket I'm loving it.
    Plus even though you don't risk permanently destroying something you do risk loosing data. I've seen a number of posts here to support this. I know you can back up but for me it's just not worth it. Before all the great games hit I seriously considered it just to play DOOM. I do like the looks of the music player on the homebrew page as well. But again I weigh the pros and cons and take a pass.
    Maybe one day you'll take that leap of faith and find out everything you're missing out on.