Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A week to 10 days ago my Palm Pre started losing time most of the time. Sometimes it slips several minutes per hour and sometimes it loses 45 minutes in 2 hours. The problem first occured overnight when the alarm woke me 45 minutes late for work. It usually doesn't lose time while sitting on the Touchstone charger (but sometimes does). I can find no pattern to the problem and don't know of anything I did to bring it on last week.

If I reset the device or if I toggle airplane mode, the clock resets to the correct time.

This is unacceptable!

Does anyone else have this problem?

Is there a fix to this problem?
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I am noticing the same problem, but not to this extreme. Mine usually runs ahead 8-12 minutes a day. I do a simple reset to keep the clock from going ahead to far.
    There are a few threads about this give it a search, it's known problem. It only resets when when your reset the network or the phone. Since I've last checked there no fix for this. You can either return it or live with it until Palm decides to correct it.
    Get the new homebrew preset reset. it not only restarts the phone whenever you want it also resets the time as an added feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlower View Post
    I am noticing the same problem, but not to this extreme. Mine usually runs ahead 8-12 minutes a day. I do a simple reset to keep the clock from going ahead to far.
    In the Date & Time app, you have the "Network time" toggle switch set to on?
    Almost every pre has this fault! In preware there's an app ntp sync once a day i hit it. Never lost time since, give it a try! It's better than being 45 minutes late for work!
    None of our Pre's (3) had ever lost one second in the 8 months that we have owned them.
    I had this same issue, so I built time sync functionality into Preset Reset.

Basically schedule the reboot for xx:xx time then after the reboot, (if you've chosen the time sync option) time automatically syncs to online time servers.

Kinda like ntpsync, but scheduled

EDIT: forgot to mention, in Preset Reset, in the app menu, there's an option to sync time. It'll pull up a notification message saying how much the time was offset and corrected to.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    What causes this time malfunction for some people, is the network?
    I mean Canada is Bell, and the O2 is Germany. I am in the Sprint network and have never had this problem with my Pre.
    Well, I have a Sprint Pre and I'm in Canada, so that might be the cause for my issues.

However, I did notice that when I tried to set Winnipeg CST as my Network Time Zone, I got an error saying that network time zone isn't supported.

So now I have my time manually set and have Preset Reset syncing daily. Cause evidently if I shut down my phone, time stops lol.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

I manage the time on mine. I have found that my Pre runs fast on network time.
    Switch to airplane mode and back again. That will resync the time and its faster than doing a reset.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
  14.    #14  
    This morning I discovered that my Preware patches - including several patches related to the Clock - needed to be updated. After updating the patches (and package manager service), the clock has kept good time ... so far. I'll post again this evening to report a final verdict.
  15.    #15  
    Tentative verdict: updating the Preware patches solved the problem. Pre still keeping good time.
  16.    #16  
    Back to the drawing board. I'm losing time again.
    Quote Originally Posted by hburgcook View Post
    Back to the drawing board. I'm losing time again.
    Try Preset Reset

I'm confused here, with the "Network time" and the "Network time zone" toggles switched to the "on" position, doesn't the Pre constantly stay synced to network time? The other week when I was driving and crossed over the AZ/CA border, as soon as I was in Pacific Standard time my Pre immedately switched to 1 hour earlier indicating that it is always syncing to network time.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I'm confused here, with the "Network time" and the "Network time zone" toggles switched to the "on" position, doesn't the Pre constantly stay synced to network time? The other week when I was driving and crossed over the AZ/CA border, as soon as I was in Pacific Standard time my Pre immedately switched to 1 hour earlier indicating that it is always syncing to network time.
    I believe most of the people facing time issues are international and people off-carrier

I had a similar problem with my pre. It keep running ahead 2 to 5 minutes. After chatting with plam support, they suggested turning network time zone off, selecting my city, and toggling airplane mode. The clock reset to the correct time (actually it's 30 seconds fast permanently,but it doesn't run ahead anymore). Give it a try

btw my gf's pixi has never had problems with the clock
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast