Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    I had that issue with my first Pre before this patch was ever developed. It happened the first time I went back and forth in developer mode (ie-konami code) for whatever the reason...
    That could be it... Sent you a PM, no issues now after a reset. Patch installed and running.

FYI, I couldn't at ALL run the smart reflex or powersaver patch at 600 before... Your method seems to be quite stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I just manually typed the commands into terminal.
    Excerpt from your orig post...
    Any chance you typo'd the commands?...If not, you really should doctor your Pre.

I would suggest anyone using this oc method to use the script provided in the OP.

Would you try to do the iphone spoof manually?...It's a similar form of hack.

The script is, by far, the easiest method to make the necessary changes and subsequently revert when necessary.
    (no chance to fat finger something you may not be able to go back on)

IMHO...There are likely going to be a very small minority of a with chip that may not be up to the quality level to handle the additional speed.

caj2008...You at least deserve some thanks for posting it.

600Mhz working beautifully so far. Thanks! Difference is subtle, but it's there. I noticed getting around the music app was a bit smoother. Very much looking forward to 720 and 800! Keep up the good work. Devs like you make me glad I got a Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by Austintwilliams View Post
    600Mhz working beautifully so far. Thanks! Difference is subtle, but it's there. I noticed getting around the music app was a bit smoother. Very much looking forward to 720 and 800! Keep up the good work. Devs like you make me glad I got a Pre!
    +1
    Since I've been quoted in a number of posts above, I'll say the following.

My position on patches which change the processor speed is very simple:

1) It's likely that it will work perfectly fine for a large majority of people.

2) It's likely that it will never work at all for some people.

3) It's likely that it will work sometimes for some people and not work sometimes for some people.

4) It's likely that there will be no guaranteed way to pre-determine who it will work for and who it will not work for.

5) None of the above is any reflection on any of the people who are creating these patches, or even on the patches themselves. It's the simple facts of variation in silicon microprocessor manufacture.

6) Everyone involved in creating, testing and using these patches really needs to be able to understand the above 5 points, so that the scientific method can be used to create patches that are safely installable and removable, that are fail-safe for devices which cannot handle them, and which never cause any data loss under any circumstances.

7) Point #6 is not a statement about the specific patches in this thread, or any other patches. It is a general statement of my opinion of the standard to which a patch must aspire to be ready to be deployed widely in Preware.

8) Even if a patch is not able to meet the high standards of point #7, it's likely to still be useful to a large number of people.

9) Everyone needs to chill out a bit, and remember that this is all just 1's and 0's Respect for people is more important than any webOS patch.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Been running the 600 patch without any problems. Thank you VERY much for the hard work. The phone runs great and I haven't run into any issues with it.

Just my 2 cents
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I have been running this patch for more than a week now and have had absolutely zero issues. Easy install, easy uninstall, and best of all a noticeable difference in speed. In general, the UI seems much snappier to include scrolling between launcher pages and launching apps.

Unlike when I tried out the earlier processor clocking patches that were in Preware, this patch has not affected OS stability on my Pre. The earlier patches caused my Pre to suddenly reset for no reason. I stopped using them within a few days. I have not had these issues with this patch.

Good work! Anxious to try the 720 MHz patch...
    Last edited by campanth; 02/22/2010 at 05:55 PM.
    OK, I am one of the the moderators looking into what transpired in this thread. The posts not related to testing this patch are now deleted.

First, everyone, please re-read what Rod wrote above.

Second, please review the Forum Guidelines.

Overclocking patches can cause a chip to fail prematurely. If 600 MHz worked flawlessly, you can bet Palm would have clocked at 600 MHz.

That brings us to the second part. This thread is a discussion of the testing of a patch. As a moderator, I can see what your original posts and all of the changes said.

I can find nowhere and no one who said that this patch was "flawless." Quite the contrary, everyone seems to well understand that they are testing this patch. There is always a better way to do any code and so by definition, no code is flawless.

If you see a problem brewing, please hit the Report Post button quickly so that we can nip problems quickly. Thank you to everyone for your reports.

Say what you mean. Mean what you say. Don't say it mean.

So let's get back on topic and keep testing patches. Keep your reports to the facts about your results not attacks on others.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/22/2010 at 12:20 PM.
    My apologies for acting disrespectful towards grndslm in any way.
    Thanks for clearing things up Craig.
    I just thought i would make a quick post that compared my experiences with other overclocking patches to this one.

I used the sr500, sr550, sr600, and scaling600 turbo version.

For the most part the sr patches worked alright, but seemed buggy after 1.3.5 (as i think caj has stated before). My phone would freeze up on me quite frequently and would require multiple battery pulls to get it back going. I cycled through all 3 frequencies in hopes that one of them would work, none did.

After i read a statement from caj about there being an issue with the sr patches and 1.3.5, I decided to try the scaling patches. This was short lived(about 2 days)... I wasn't too fond of them because anything that had a loading screen would get some crazy lines through the screen. And then my phone started to randomly shutdown on me. I felt that the scaling patch(i only tried the one) was faster and smoother than the sr patches, but since i use my phone as an alarm clock i couldn't risk it shutting down at night, which it did once.

This brought me to this thread where i am running caj (and marco's) 600mhz patch. I am through day 4 with all of the smoothness and speed i felt from the scaling patch WITHOUT the random shutdowns or crazy lines through videos. I have had zero issues so far and would recommend this patch to anyone. It's very easy to install and even easier to uninstall.

So if you are on the fence... GO FOR IT!!
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I've been running the 600MHZ patch for a few weeks now and have noticed no ill effect whatsoever. I had used the 600 smart flex patch months ago when it was in preware and had issues with my phone not restarting properly half the time and needing a battery pull but have had none of that issue with this patch. I haven't done much in the way of scientific testing but the phone does seem a bit snappier when loading the same apps right next a friend of mines unaltered phone. Only differences being that her calendar loaded faster as she has no info in it where as I sync 3. I haven't noticed any drastic changes in battery life either. Hope this is helpful.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    first day running 600mhz patch battery life not affected all for me it seems as though it's better I started out the day at 715 with 100% charge for school it's 225 now and I'm at 81% with some browsing and music player use I'm hoping to be a alpha tester for the 720 and 800 mhz kenrnal mod
    Global Posts
    987 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    I just thought i would make a quick post that compared my experiences with other overclocking patches to this one.

For the most part the sr patches worked alright, but seemed buggy after 1.3.5 (as i think caj has stated before). My phone would freeze up on me quite frequently and would require multiple battery pulls to get it back going. I cycled through all 3 frequencies in hopes that one of them would work, none did.

After i read a statement from caj about there being an issue with the sr patches and 1.3.5, I decided to try the scaling patches. This was short lived(about 2 days)... I wasn't too fond of them because anything that had a loading screen would get some crazy lines through the screen. And then my phone started to randomly shutdown on me. I felt that the scaling patch(i only tried the one) was faster and smoother than the sr patches, but since i use my phone as an alarm clock i couldn't risk it shutting down at night, which it did once.

This brought me to this thread where i am running caj (and marco's) 600mhz patch. I am through day 4 with all of the smoothness and speed i felt from the scaling patch WITHOUT the random shutdowns or crazy lines through videos. I have had zero issues so far and would recommend this patch to anyone. It's very easy to install and even easier to uninstall.

link?
    Caj, I just sent you a pm.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post

In 1.3.5 Palm modified LunaSysMgr (the GUI) to force the CPU to run at 500mHz. Therefore, with the older patches that adjusted the CPU speed, the Linux kernel would boot to the modded speed (or rather, would switch to it at some point during boot), and then get dropped back down to 500. I have a feeling the freezing during boot people would see with the old patches was a combination of the higher speed and the powersaving technology. Since this script does not enable smartreflex or cpu scaling, that issue, if such was the case, is not being exposed.
    Earlier I had posted that I have been using the 600mhz and the only side effect was a greater battery decrease. However, after running some test I have concluded that that is not the case (or at least not in any significant amount). For one hour I monitored battery level and CPU temp. For this test I had the following apps running: Music Remix, friendsbook (refreshed every 2 min), browser, text messaging (moderate texting), email (set to retrieve every 5 min) from 2 accounts, and the battery monitoring app. For both frequencies the average decrease was of -2% with the CPU temp ranging between 30 and 32 celcius. The biggest decrease was of -3% (on 600mhz) once, and I think only because I wrote a longer than average text message. Hope this helps anyone who is still on the brink.
    oh, one more thing, while not extremely noticeable, the UI is a bit speedier (specially scrolling the launcher). Also ran a small text comparing time it would take to launch an app. Results were that Music remix launched close to a second faster and so did the calendar. On all the others I tested (contacts, where, express stocks) there was no noticeable difference. The biggest upside for me is the smoother scrolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    My apologies for acting disrespectful towards grndslm in any way.
    Thanks for clearing things up Craig.
    No worries. I have enjoyed reading about everyone's test results.

Just click Report Post if you see something like this brewing.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    link?
    are you looking for a link to the patches?
    What if i disable the developer mode once i applied the luna patch, will it stil be active?

(it kinda hard to find out since you don't have access to the command line when the dev mode is off)
    I have PM'ed you, but I am not sure if you have received it. I would like to help test out the new kernels. I am well aware of any risks, and am completely willing.
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 19 ... LastLast