Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Have you guys timed your boots and shutdowns with and without the patch, I'm sure you would see a difference... with it taking longer WITH the patch.
    I have timed it both ways and there is no significant difference, about 18 seconds to shut down and 100 seconds to start.
    I am also seeing improved battery life, but was hesitant to post it for fear of being accused of "placebo effect" or something.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by mracacia View Post
    I have timed it both ways and there is no significant difference, about 18 seconds to shut down and 100 seconds to start.
    I got nearly identical results, upon hitting the restart button it took 120 seconds (+ or - 1 sec) to reach my home page again. I did this 3 times each

Edit: redid the test, i didn't uninstall the patch properly so i was running at 600mhz both times.

I verified that i was running at 500mhz before testing again and this time i did have a significant difference. It took approximately 18sec LONGER WITHOUT the patch. Yes that means that it was 18 seconds FASTER WITH the patch.

Again this was a test of how long it took from the moment i hit the yellow restart button to the appearance of my homescreen. 3 times each.

2 minutes with patch

2 minutes 18 seconds without the patch
    Last edited by KJBlauw; 02/21/2010 at 04:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Please do not post long quotes or advertising of things unrelated to the topics described herein. All that does is make reading of information more difficult
    Be careful...This is a public forum.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I would like your response here if you have had no issues with the 600 patch distributed from this site.
    I have been running my Pre at 600Mhz since the first patches in Preware were introduced. Since they were taken down, I applied it through the command-line and novaterm. With your introduction of the "QuickInstall-able" version, I've replaced the latter method. So far everything's been normal (no glitches, boot hangs, etc.), with the exception of the faster speed.
    2 1/2 days here with no issues other than phone shut down once...took battery out and soft reset and none since then....
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    2 1/2 days here with no issues other than phone shut down once...took battery out and soft reset and none since then....
    Same here.
    Been running the 600 patch for about 2 days now and just this morning it turned itself off.
    I wouldn't think it would be that big of an issue cause it did this before the patch too.
    I've been running the straight oc to 600 long before this thread was created with only a very minor decrease in battery life.

I still think this is important info for everyone to see.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It's clear that each individual phone will have it's own stability characteristics.

Here's why:

Palm buys chips in bulk from TI (the silicon vendor).

The silicon vendor tests those chips (which come off the fab with widely varying performance characteristics) and they are "binned" (put into different lots) according to frequency, power and other performance and functionality criteria during the testing of each individual chip (yes, each one is fully tested and characterised).

I would expect that since Palm is only running at 500MHz, they can probably buy the 500MHz "bin" instead of the "bin" which has been proven to run at 600MHz in testing. The "500MHz bin" of chips will come at a lower price than the "guaranteed 600MHz bin" of chips.

Now, there are often times when a good fabrication run will cause *all* chips from that wafer to be in the 600MHz range. If the silicon vendor runs out of "cheaper" 500MHz chips, they usually just sell the 600MHz chips at the lower "500 MHz price".

Supply and demand for the various frequencies from OEMs like Palm will also cause the number of chips in inventory stock for each frequency bin to vary from week to week.

So every Pre potentially has a different stability characteristic according to exactly which silicon wafer the processor was manufactured from, and even where on the wafer the particular die was situated (cause the performance characteristics can vary across the 400mm diameter wafer).

To try and draw some sort of stability conclusion based on the *miniscule* number of reports in these forums is simply futile. The only thing that is clear is that there are some people who are obviously having stability problems when running above Palm's design frequency (which, when you understand the binning process at the silicon vendor, is not surprising at all).

-- Rod

hey every one i just did a speed test against my friend who happen to have a pre, his pre do not have the 600 mhz patch and i do but i noticed that his pre open apps faster than mine, how can that be possible..
    How many apps and patches does he have versus yourself??
    he has no patches yet.
    Have had no issues with this patch yet. Phone runs a little snapier, I do browse the net a lot so my battery drains fast, but I dont have any comparative data to when I was running the phone stock.
    Ohh... No other patches installed... Followed directions (copy and paste), keyboard stopped working? Did the removal steps and still no keyboard. Running Dr now... I might try the 550 patch and see how that goes.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Just wanted to drop some feedback here.. I'm running my Pre at 600MHz and I'd like to go higher with caj2008's alpha patch.

When I clocked in at 600MHz, I used an older command line trick, but this patch does the same thing more or less, only it's much easier to install or remove.

I've been running it at 600MHz in some form since the original Powerscale patches were added to Preware (and then removed later on). I haven't had one single issue and the performance of my Pre is actually at a really comfortable level.

Just wanted to give some feedback.. Caj2008, keep up the good work and thanks for patches!
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatti20 View Post
    Ohh... No other patches installed... Followed directions (copy and paste), keyboard stopped working? Did the removal steps and still no keyboard. Running Dr now... I might try the 550 patch and see how that goes.
    Did you try a battery pull? My phone's keyboard has stopped working twice in its life and a battery pull brought it back to life.
    Sooooo.......

Not to hijack this thread but I just experimented with clipcarl's script (http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-app-here.html) to set the cpu speed to 600mhz instead of modifying LunaSysMgr. It appears to be working in limited testing and an alternative from having to modify a binary (LunaSysMgr).

If there's interest, I'll start up another thread for this specifically.
    Last edited by jauderho; 02/21/2010 at 10:54 PM.
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Did you try a battery pull? My phone's keyboard has stopped working twice in its life and a battery pull brought it back to life.
    Yeah... I was trying that right before I saw your reply.. I'm gonna re-apply the patch and see what happens.
    Virtual kb patch you are referring to or the real kb? Please give me a PM so I can help you diagnose the problem. You need to do hard bootup to properly install, did you do this?
    I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Pre's kb Caj
    If the virtual kb was the problem all he'd have to do is run EPR.
    Soo... I've just noticed something, which is probably very minute and not related to our problems in actuality... but!!

The instructions that ducatti and I copied are just a tad different from the script, which everybody else is apparently running. The script does not have the "mount -o remount,ro /" command!!

I do not see why this would pose a problem at all.... but it is an observation. Just sayin'.

But that makes 4 people who have noticed something buggy with their phone... and 1 of those people believe their phone was buggy before installing this patch. Again... just sayin'.
    Virtual kb patch you are referring to or the real kb? Please give me a PM so I can help you diagnose the problem. You need to do hard bootup to properly install, did you do this?
    Sending you a PM now... It was the Pre's keyboard, after a battery pull it came back up and the patch seems to be stable now.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Soo... I've just noticed something, which is probably very minute and not related to our problems in actuality... but!!

The instructions that ducatti and I copied are just a tad different from the script, which everybody else is apparently running. The script does not have the "mount -o remount,ro /" command!!

I do not see why this would pose a problem at all.... but it is an observation. Just sayin'.

But that makes 4 people who have noticed something buggy with their phone... and 1 of those people believe their phone was buggy before installing this patch. Again... just sayin'.
    With all due respect grndslm, if you find this completely buggy, then don't use it.
    There's hundreds of people using this and have had no errors whatsoever, like myself.

Caj has done an awesome job here.
    For someone to constantly bring up errors and errors it seems like you are just trying to find something wrong with it.
    Give the guy some credit for his work.
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast