Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    I disagree. I get upset only when people release software that can frak phones.

Did you look at the code of the powersave and cpu scaling patches? It could definately have caused issues. Yes this patch is simplistic but is not problematic. Palm is using the same OMAP 3400 processor as the android yet there there was no 500 MHz limitation imposed (they can overclock to 1.1 GHz reportedly).

BTW: The new patches in testing modify the kernel itself and are no longer considered simple. Hence the careful testing process. We will not promote the frakking of phones!! I need to get back to working on the new patches so I don't want to debate this any further (not our issue).
    No worries. I just never saw anything in how the other patches worked that looked like they would cause problems *based on the patches themselves*.
    This thread is getting very hard to follow and is digressing quickly. I'm sure I can speak for most here in that we greatly appreciate the efforts caj is putting forth in order to make our Pre's incredibly more useful than we were previously without the headaches of worrying about bogus code and shut downs.

Let the man get back to work!
    I have had the 600 Patch in for a almost two days and I am amazed at the speed increase of opening apps, ESPECIALLY the music player app. This is amazing!!! Keep up the outstanding work!!!!!
    is your patch the same as this? (the 720mhz patch)

mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /usr/bin
    sed "s/500000/720000/g" LunaSysMgr > newlunasysmgr
    mv LunaSysMgr LunaSysMgr.orig
    mv newlunasysmgr LunaSysMgr
    chmod +x LunaSysMgr
    sync
    mount -o remount,ro /
    pkill LunaSysMgr

will the above bump my cpu to 720mhz?
    I was also holding off until after 1.4, but decided to install while I was watching short track speed skating (speed begets speed?). This was easy as pie to install and I am already noticing a difference in snappiness. Sounds like that may continue to improve over time, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes...

BTW, I, too, am unafraid of "bricking" since it's all but impossible, and may leave this on when I update, just to see what happens...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    "Bricking" is no longer possible (see my first signature thread) as the older patches are being disregarded. If they reset the LunaSysMgr with OS 1.4 with the installed 550 or 600 MHz patch, it will just go back to 500 MHz in worst case scenario. Otherwise it will be same speed. BTW, all of these patches have produced zero frozen screens!!

**The more complex "Marco kernal mod patches" will have to be uninstalled as a precaution.**
    Yeah, I know and tell people all the time in the forums, but I never say "never"...there may be something, somewhere, that hasn't been found yet, that could do it...

Definitely interested to see what the Marco kernal mod patches will bring...

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Will the 720 Macro kernel patch push our Pre's *over* the limit of what they were designed to do? Many people were reluctant to even do 600Mhz due to processor issues.
    Last edited by jason2851; 02/21/2010 at 04:16 PM.
    Well... since nobody reported any trouble, I'll be testing this out over the next few days.

Good signs already, since I can boot into 600 MHz without issues, freezing.

As long as there continues to be no freezing over the next week... I'll be making using this every day!

600 MHz should be absolutely no problem, as another user in this thread pointed out that Palm *is* using 600 MHz during games... so why not all the time?!? Can't wait to try the 720 MHz version!!

I just manually typed the commands into terminal. Is there any reason that I can't just tweak these commands to replace 500000 with 720000??? Or is that what the kernel you're talking about is required for?
    Well... that didn't take long.

Everything was fine until I decided to do some speed tests. First test was how long it takes to shutdown and startup. Hit Opt+Sym+R and BAM... it freezes about 5 seconds into the shutdown process!! Had to take out my battery to reset.

I thought that was weird, so I tried it again. This time it doesn't freeze, but it takes twice as long to shutdown than normal. Normal shutdown is ~15 seconds.

So I decide to do some Terminal goodness before I try my 3rd shutdown. I notice that the keyboard is now frozen in the Terminal app. It would work for a minute or so and then just stop allowing input... but I could still minimize the card and then close it. Trying to use Universal Search to type "Termi" to launch the appropriate app seemed a bit buggy, for some reason. It was extremely slow and was sure of itself that my friend Tess belonged in a search of things beginning with "Termi". Anyway... after my 3rd try in Terminal, I am finally able to launch the "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state" command!!! Seems normal.

OK... time to reboot!! BAM... freezes in 3-5 seconds.

I find it hard to believe that you guys have actually USED a Pre in this state for longer than a day.

EDIT: Oh yea... the videos in Asphalt5 were jumping all around. Something I've never seen at 500 MHz. Gameplay seemed to be about normal, tho... but I didn't race but a lap or two, so that might be why I didn't notice anything.

EDIT2: HAHA... It took THREE MINUTES EXACTLY to boot after putting my battery back in. I deleted my old file where I was timing the various OC patches, but I remember them being pretty close to 1:50 to start up... not 3:00!!

[edit by moderator]
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post

I find it hard to believe that you guys have actually USED a Pre in this state for longer than a day.

EDIT: Oh yea... the videos in Asphalt5 were jumping all around. Something I've never seen at 500 MHz. Gameplay seemed to be about normal, tho... but I didn't race but a lap or two, so that might be why I didn't notice anything.

EDIT2: HAHA... It took THREE MINUTES EXACTLY to boot after putting my battery back in. I deleted my old file where I was timing the various OC patches, but I remember them being pretty close to 1:50 to start up... not 3:00!!

All I know is that one of us is smokin' something really NICE.
    it's nice of you to give us all so much credit. I've been USING my pre in the state for a few days now with none of the aformentioned problems. I hae rebooted several time without problem, and it certainly didn't take any longer, I played several games along with asphalt 5 and there were no stutters or jumps. I have NOT used the terminal app so can't comment.

sounds like there are some things not playing well together in your pre. Either that or nobody is reporting back on problems
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    sounds like there are some things not playing well together in your pre. Either that or nobody is reporting back on problems
    My Pre has been running @ 600 for 1.5 days. Works flawlessly.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post

Everything was fine until I decided to do some speed tests. First test was how long it takes to shutdown and startup. Hit Opt+Sym+R and BAM... it freezes about 5 seconds into the shutdown process!! Had to take out my battery to reset.

I thought that was weird, so I tried it again. This time it doesn't freeze, but it takes twice as long to shutdown than normal. Normal shutdown is ~15 seconds.

So I decide to do some Terminal goodness before I try my 3rd shutdown. I notice that the keyboard is now frozen in the Terminal app. It would work for a minute or so and then just stop allowing input... but I could still minimize the card and then close it. Trying to use Universal Search to type "Termi" to launch the appropriate app seemed a bit buggy, for some reason. It was extremely slow and was sure of itself that my friend Tess belonged in a search of things beginning with "Termi". Anyway... after my 3rd try in Terminal, I am finally able to launch the "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state" command!!! Seems normal.

OK... time to reboot!! BAM... freezes in 3-5 seconds.

All I know is that one of us is smokin' something really NICE.
    Everything working great for me, I have been using this for a few days now without any issues and I have played Asassins Creed, Asphault 5 so not sure whats up with yours
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    No, I have been monitoring impact of speed on the cpu and it is fine. Note that Android has pushed the same cpu to 1 GHz.
    Dude this is sounding so freaking cool, I can't wait!!
    I have been running great for the last two days. I currently have no other patches installed while I wait for 1.4 to come out. I can't wait for the 720 patch.
    I was at 600 MHZ for months without a freeze and now am on my third day at 720 MHz. No issues and I have done extreme stuff. Grandslam I would recommend you clean your Pre OS up as no one else has reported an issue.
    Well... don't say no one has reported an issue anymore, because I JUST DID.

I'm reporting some more. First thing I did when I got up today... open Terminal. Took 4 times longer than normal. Messed around for a few minutes with no problem, then I did an Opt+Sym+R again... and sure enough, it froze in about 3-5 seconds.

So that makes 3 outta 4 times that the phone has frozen with the swirly sphere logo thingy at shutdown. I truly do not believe that a patch is causing this to happen.

Have you guys timed your boots and shutdowns with and without the patch, I'm sure you would see a difference... with it taking longer WITH the patch.

The effects of this patch are somewhat similar to the other OC patches, but the negative effects from this "simple patch" are less pronounced. Still see the longer startup and shutdown times tho. Still see odd things happening from time to time in apps. Just minor glitches that you wouldn't notice if you didn't use the phone all the time.

Soo... the jury's still out, but don't you dare say that no one has reported any negative side-effects!! No seriously negative side-effect... but freezing at shutdown alone is a PITA to have to remove the battery. Much less not having your apps work normally, or things taking twice as long as they normally did.... whereas everything was normal before this "simple patch".

I'll have to start from scratch someday.... but that won't be anytime soon. If caj2008 says he has a 120 patches and 100 apps or whatever.... then patches can't be the problem. I highly doubt that patches would be affecting Luna's shutdown process at all.
    I have been running this patch for days now. My Pre starts up and restarts fine. I have recently doctored so maybe that helps with the stablility side of things.
    As far as the previous poster stated, I was getting the same issues without any patches installed. I would say that grndslm should try doctoring, then installing this patch and see if the issues keep occuring. So far the UI has been extremely fluid and my phone is able to do things it wouldnt normally be able to at stock settings.
    Only had this installed since last night, but no issues at all here either. Definitely snappier responses, no freezing on restart or luna restart. I like this a lot. I have only 28 patches installed, but there have been no conflicts. I really like this, and am looking forward to overclocking when it becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeganDoomFire View Post
    Just got it to go in first try, THANK YOU for the direct links to save, Ill try and remember to post back on battery life differences but so far just playing around it seems much snappyer, good test is looking though my 200+ pics and watching the icons load much faster, the extra 100 makes a nice difference, and if it bursts into flames Im willing to accept that as my fault.
    Ok so alot has happened on this forum and Ill admit I have read non of it... Im just back to post how the patch is doing, aside from my playing games on my pre yesterday morning I haven't done much with it so its just kinda been sitting there, NOT CHARGING. < ok that will get some attention...

basically after I installed the patch Iv been getting better battery life, normally a night at my house not on a charger and I wake up to a 8% battery in the morning, this morning I woke up to an 88% not sure it its the patch but cool? also 4 hours later of sitting on my desk with 1 bar Im only down to 86!

so if anything install with 500mhz and use the cpu scaling because its a life saver, at least for me!

I wish I could thank you twice :P
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeganDoomFire View Post
    Ok so alot has happened on this forum and Ill admit I have read non of it... Im just back to post how the patch is doing, aside from my playing games on my pre yesterday morning I haven't done much with it so its just kinda been sitting there, NOT CHARGING. < ok that will get some attention...

basically after I installed the patch Iv been getting better battery life, normally a night at my house not on a charger and I wake up to a 8% battery in the morning, this morning I woke up to an 88% not sure it its the patch but cool? also 4 hours later of sitting on my desk with 1 bar Im only down to 86!

so if anything install with 500mhz and use the cpu scaling because its a life saver, at least for me!

I wish I could thank you twice :P
    I thought that was strange too, my battery life seems to be much better the past couple of days as well. Patch improves battery life??

Anyone else using the 600Mhz patch seem to have better Batt life?
    I too have seen a improvement in my phones battery life. I wonder if the Pre has better battery saving routines for running at 600 mhz? I would assume Palm would implement something like this when running 3d games, since they set the clock to 600 mhz. Maybe they change something so that battery life doesn't go in the toilet..
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast