Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Sorry what you ask I cannot do. You have no idea how much effort it took to change public opinion of the cpu scaling and powersave patch failures. I have started to test a version but I will confer with my colleague for the release date when we are both happy with it and doesn't require complex commands which can mess people up.
    I understand, I apologize. I am very much into this topic though, and I am willing to help you test anything out. I would be extremely excited to participate in such research. Please let me know of any way I can test anything out or you can try something out with me and my Pre. Just so you wont be scared, I do have prior computer knowledge, and I have become an expert with anything that is Pre. Thank you!!!!! You are doing a great thing here.
    Sorry what you ask I cannot do. You have no idea how much effort it took to change public opinion of the cpu scaling and powersave patch failures. I have started to test a version but I will confer with my colleague for the release date when we are both happy with it and doesn't require complex commands which can mess people up.
    This makes me wonder why they didn't make a simple 600mhz patch first and then try to add in the powerflex or scaling. It makes sense now that it was the powersave stuff that was messing things up and not the actual cpu speed. The fact that nobody has had any sort of freezing problem with your patch yet seems to show that there were never "weak" cpu's in distribution that "couldn't handle" the speed.

You sir are leading the revolution for speed to finally return to the pre, without bugs this time, this in a way makes you my hero haha
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Please delete this image as it has been incorporated already. Thanks
    done missed that one :-P
    I just want to point out that I look out for my innovative colleagues best interests and to promote the Pre by safely overcoming the inherent weakness of being in a new WebOS platform. Once people get burned they don't usually come back (reason why I created my how to overcome what is considered to be a bricked Pre-first signature thread).
    Oh, I've been burnt, and I just keep coming back. And you know what the best part is? I like it.
    Works like a charm! The install was simple. Thanks!
    The past couple of days have been nice, around 70 or so. Looks like rain for the next three or four days though.
    This is the time when it rains. I miss UC Berkeley, microcenter and Fries electronics. The web isn't the same!
    Doesn't look like the rain has hit here.
    I'm in Concord.
    They said it was supposed to rain today, but nothin.
    Just cloudy weather.
    I miss the Concord pavillion. I am an angry northeasterner because I miss Northern CA!

FYI-It is looking bright and sunny for the modification of the kernal. It is possible to increase speed beyond 600 MHz! We will keep you all informed after the alpha tests are complete.
    Ooh yeah
    You missed Journey playing there with their new singer.
    That was awesome.

That's flippin awesome!
    Good to hear, right after I added the 600 MHz patch....
    Lol.
    Thank you very much for all your hard work caj2008! I just added your hard work to my phone and it's working great. I look forward to enjoying the fruits of your labor in the future. Are you excepting donations for your time?

For those that have any concerns...the only thing I have noticed is battery drainage...but not really sure how much more than usual. Will update when I know just how much in comparison to usual
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    Thank you very much for all your hard work caj2008! I just added your hard work to my phone and it's working great. I look forward to enjoying the fruits of your labor in the future. Are you excepting donations for your time?

For those that have any concerns...the only thing I have noticed is battery drainage...but not really sure how much more than usual. Will update when I know just how much in comparison to usual
    I've noticed a change in how my battery heats up when running FreeTether+MHS.
    Before the patch it heated up so much, now it doesn't all that much.
    Those applications would affect the battery by themselves. I usually run 3 applications with notifications on (2 email accounts running) to do my test and compare the results at the same time points at the different processor speeds. A long time course is necessary for accuracy.
    So, wouldn't the applications use less power to run with a faster processor?
    I would like to add that the patch for adding launcher pages has not been a problem for me since adding your hard work to my Pre. Somebody mentioned earlier in this thread of blank pages. Blank pages was a problem before adding 550 or 600 on occasion...not associated...
    I have done the battery test and cpu heat test (vs. 500 MHz) and it is not significantly differerent at 600 MHz!!
    Thank you for your quick response as I wasn't sure...
    Just got it to go in first try, THANK YOU for the direct links to save, Ill try and remember to post back on battery life differences but so far just playing around it seems much snappyer, good test is looking though my 200+ pics and watching the icons load much faster, the extra 100 makes a nice difference, and if it bursts into flames Im willing to accept that as my fault.
    Wow, I didn't think I could do this but once you start you realize it is easier than what it sounds, Thank you so much caj2008!!

Also thanks to Demlor for posting the link to the newest Webos quick install tool, I needed that.

It does run faster for me and I just installed it, if it gets better with time i can't wait, but even if it stays this way i am happy

Gezzz I never knew I could get exited about a phone!!
    Need more posts to see your signature;-)
    Can't wait for your next improvements! Hope there soon.
    Thanks for making it easy for us w/ the write-up. I've been on the fence about it for a few days and decided to go for it.

Took me maybe 5 min or so, no issues so far, phone restarted fine and seems a bit quicker.

I want to give you guys a on this (especially the ease of install) and I look forward to what is in store in the near future
    To change to 600 or 550 MHz: Easy!!

This is directed toward those afraid to make a commandline mistake (may freeze up Pre)

1) To use this "simple patch" you have to be in Developer Mode.

2) Need to download script from thread: http://www.xssnet.com/luna600patch.sh

Procedure: if it shows up in your browser, but doesn't ask you to save
    Browser Menu: File
    Submenu: save as
    luna600patch
    click .txt file option
    on desktop change .txt suffix to .sh

should see luna600patch.sh on your desktop

Alternatively for 550 MHz, use link: http://www.xssnet.com/luna550patch.sh

Note there are those who think this may shorten the lifetime of your cpu so be forwarned. I haven't had any "bricking issues" but I do have a solution (see my signature thread) should it arrise

3) Use WebOS Quick Install Tools - Send File to send the file to /var/home/root

4) then use WOSQI Tools - Linux Command Line and write "sh /var/home/root/luna600patch.sh install"

Note: Prior to update you can uninstall using the Linux commandline and then reinstall after the update

"sh /var/home/root/luna600patch.sh uninstall"

5) "pkill LunaSysMgr" (to restart).

Please input thanks if you found this tutorial useful:

To check your handywork on the the new frequency you have set:

At commandline:
    root@palm-webos-device:
    type "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state"

you will notice everytime you type this over time the 600000 number will get bigger (cpu ticks at 600 MHz)

or "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq"

you will just get frequency listed

Dont insert the quotes, they just emphasize the lines you need to use.

This simplified script will not enable cpu scaling or to powersave (which can be a blessing). They only slightly modify the LunasysManager (simple patch which isn't mine). I have had no issues applying them now to 6 different phones (variable manufacturing dates) with no issues (my phone has 200 programs and >100 patches installed along with this modification.

For another method, see unixpsycho related thread on using commandline access to accomplish same thing): Procedure is below (unixpsycho and livinofframen):

This requires that you overwrite your LunaSysMgr and do so via the command line. For those uncomfortable with commandline modification, use above method. In Terminal or whatever your favorite method for command-line access to your Pre is, enter the commands exactly as written.

To simplify it for you, enter the exact commands as follows (just as it says in the thread):

mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /usr/bin
    sed "s/500000/600000/g" LunaSysMgr > newlunasysmgr
    mv LunaSysMgr LunaSysMgr.orig
    mv newlunasysmgr LunaSysMgr
    chmod +x LunaSysMgr
    sync
    mount -o remount,ro /
    pkill LunaSysMgr

Uninstall procedure for this second method:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /usr/bin
    mv LunaSysMgr.orig LunaSysMgr

Please input thanks if you found this tutorial useful:
    i finally install the patch but i don't see a difference in term of speed, did i do something wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by electrical1213 View Post
    i finally install the patch but i don't see a difference in term of speed, did i do something wrong?
    Did you check the frequency of the device after you made changes?

Put this in the commandline
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

You should either see 600000 or 550000
    depending on which version you used.
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast