Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233 LastLast
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Cant wait to see this in Preware. Keep up the great work guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    how does it effect performance ??
    Dev mode starts a daemon which takes up less than 1% of your devices RAM when running. That is the only performance impact (which is actually a zero impact until your memory starts getting full).

It does not affect the speed or security of the device.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Dev mode starts a daemon which takes up less than 1% of your devices RAM when running. That is the only performance impact (which is actually a zero impact until your memory starts getting full).

It does not affect the speed or security of the device.

-- Rod
    i didnt think it did mess with performance but they said it did so i got a little confused there . thanks for the clarification !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Been running at 600 Mhz for about a week now. Works fine; little if any negative stability issues (perhaps some improvements when switching back and forth from 3D apps), some manageable battery hit under heavy use (I have the Seidio 2600 mA battery). Works well. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Did the 600MHz today and love it. Would love to give the 720 and 800 MHz kernels a try.
    thanks@
    I don't recall seeing any posts on how to remove either the 550 or 600 patch. Any advise?
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I don't recall seeing any posts on how to remove either the 550 or 600 patch. Any advise?
    "sh /var/home/root/600MHz_OSIndependentpatch.sh uninstall"
    (Similar logic for 550 MHz)
    How many times have you seen the Dr.?..lol
    do you believe in miracles, said Al Michaels...Yes!!!!

thanks to those that make this possible.
    Wow! Thanks CAJ! I feel like I'm waiting for Dante's Inferno or God of War III -- I'm sure I"ll be up all night just I like was with them except checking the speed of my phone over and over and over and over and......
    Quote Originally Posted by baconnbitz2010 View Post
    Wow! Thanks CAJ! I feel like I'm waiting for Dante's Inferno or God of War III -- I'm sure I"ll be up all night just I like was with them except checking the speed of my phone over and over and over and over and......
    lol too funny !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    any eta on when it will end up in preware? My computer died.
    Quote Originally Posted by tool69 View Post
    any eta on when it will end up in preware? My computer died.
    not sure ? it may not go into preware i really dont know. you could use someone elses computer . im sure someone will let you borrow their laptop or something lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    oh alright. Haha yea. It sucks not having webos quick install at my disposal! Now I must call a couple friends who owe me. Haha thanks
    Will I need to do anything special when I install the 800 mhz patch? Do I need to remove the 600 mhz patch berfore going ahead and if so how do I do that? Is Wednesday firm on the availibility of the new patch? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for all the work, I really appreciate the preparation going into this in order to make it safe to use.
    John
    I have been running the 600 and have noticed a good improvement. I can't wait to try the 800! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sonjohn1 View Post
    Will I need to do anything special when I install the 800 mhz patch? Do I need to remove the 600 mhz patch berfore going ahead and if so how do I do that? Is Wednesday firm on the availibility of the new patch? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for all the work, I really appreciate the preparation going into this in order to make it safe to use.
    John
    It's my understanding (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), that to go beyond 600MHz, it will be more than just a patch. A new kernel is needed in order to actually overclock the cpu, so I'm assuming it will be a modified WebOSDoctor file, meaning a full wipe of the Pre. Again, someone correct me if I've got this wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by dscott23 View Post
    It's my understanding (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), that to go beyond 600MHz, it will be more than just a patch. A new kernel is needed in order to actually overclock the cpu, so I'm assuming it will be a modified WebOSDoctor file, meaning a full wipe of the Pre. Again, someone correct me if I've got this wrong.
    A kernel replacement does not require doctoring.

It does require safe backing up of the old kernel and installation of the new kernel (followed by a device reboot), including fail-safe behaviour for an OTA update to a new webOS version.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    A kernel replacement does not require doctoring.

It does require safe backing up of the old kernel and installation of the new kernel (followed by a device reboot), including fail-safe behaviour for an OTA update to a new webOS version.

-- Rod
    So even with a new kernel, we won't need to revert back to the old one before an OTA update?
    Quote Originally Posted by dscott23 View Post
    So even with a new kernel, we won't need to revert back to the old one before an OTA update?
    On the contrary, that may or may not be a fail-safe behaviour.

I haven't seen a clear description of the packaging, installation and OTA update robustness design intent for any of these hardware patches (like AUPT provides for normal webOS patches). Sure there are installation scripts, but there is no open review and discussion about how those scripts operate and whether they cover all the possible failure cases.

In general, in my opinion, there is too much discussion about and focus on the results and outcomes of all these different performance-enhancing patches (and I mean all of them, not just the ones in this and similar threads), and not enough open discussion about the basic underlying techniques (e.g. kernel scaling parameters, kernel governor algorithms, OPP points, reduction in power-on hours guarantees, etc) which are used to achieve those outcomes.

I put forward my opinion that the lack of such basic underlying technical discussion (as opposed to discussion of results and outcomes) is the reason why there are at least three separate parallel performance-enhancing streams of work, instead of one single well-organised collaborative discussion about the best combination of basic underlying techniques to safely enhance the performance of the device.

All the different groups are getting good results, and have happy users, but imagine how much better it could be if there was one single collaborative effort for hardware patches in the same way as there was for homebrew packaging standards ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/23/2010 at 12:35 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals