Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 647
  1. #381  
    So I received your second email the day 1.4 was released with the 800 patch. How stable would you consider that code to be? Would you totally not recommend doing it with 1.4? D you still want me to finish and submit the 1.3.5 test results?
  2. #382  
    So this means work with the 800 mhz kernel is concluded?
  3. #383  
    Quote Originally Posted by davenukem View Post
    So this means work with the 800 mhz kernel is concluded?
    kinda of... I made it so that my phone wouldn't update to 1.4 so i could keep it at 800 mhz, but most people will soon enough be forced to go to 1.4 and then won't be able to use the patch anymore.

    Basically until the source code for 1.4 is released, 800 mhz is pretty much dead.

    I'm just waiting to hear unixpsycho's take on the death of caj's phone
  4. #384  
    caj2008 I know you are a thorough tester, but sometimes things aren't related. The pre could have been failiing and would have failed whether or not you applied the patch or not. There is not enough data to establish a relationship to the patch and the phone. Don't let this stop you from continuing the work you have done with the Pre. The 600mhz patch was enough for me until I tested the other two patches. Your thoroughness was evident. You know as well as I do that one data point can't stop your testing 9 times out of 10 the theories are proven right. I vote for continued testing but just make sure the people that are testing follow your protocols to the letter.
  5. #385  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    caj2008 I know you are a thorough tester, but sometimes things aren't related. The pre could have been failiing and would have failed whether or not you applied the patch or not. There is not enough data to establish a relationship to the patch and the phone. Don't let this stop you from continuing the work you have done with the Pre. The 600mhz patch was enough for me until I tested the other two patches. Your thoroughness was evident. You know as well as I do that one data point can't stop your testing 9 times out of 10 the theories are proven right. I vote for continued testing but just make sure the people that are testing follow your protocols to the letter.
    I'm not part of the test group but I couldn't agree more. Somewhere down the line someone was going to work on overclocking for the Pre, I for one am glad it was these guys who decided to give it a go.
  6. #386  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    yes its confusing, I agree.

    to answer you though- yes 600mhz works perfectly fine on 1.4
    I've been trying it out today and am currently running into an intermittent problem where my launcher will not run any applications. It will pop up from the quick launch bar, and I can flip through the launcher pages, which appear and respond entirely normally. I cannot even run apps via the search. Apps on the quick launch bar load normally. This happened to start after I installed the 600mhz patch.

    Despite the timing, I'm undecided on whether this is related to the 600mhz patch... Just curious if anyone else has run into anything similar.
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

    If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
  7. #387  
    Xenoc, sorry to say you are out of luck. Your phone is "broke" by all means. Something with overclocking in the new update caused the same thing to happen with the 800 mhz patch for me. Just doctor it using Caj's method and all should be well.

    And Caj, Mamouton couldn't have said it any better. Don't stop working on something so beneficial based on a hunch. For anybody who has upset you, they are foolish, you are doing some amazing work and I have to say I was amazed at how much better my phone was when I ran 800 mhz, even though it crashed my phone and i had to doctor when I upgraded. I accepted the risks and am happy I did. It was well worth it.

    Hopefully you continue the work. And on another note, if it was a hardware fault, consider yourself lucky that you actually are going to get a new pre with the processor from the 600 bin this time! Then you will be able to overclock that sucker with no problem.
  8. #388  
    Is there a particular program that highlights the speed of 600? Just looking for a way to be awed. Thanks for putting patch back up!
    Last edited by RanGT; 02/28/2010 at 02:09 PM.
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  9. #389  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    Is there a particular program that highlights the speed of 600? Just looking for a way to be awed. Thanks for putting patch back up!
    You won't be awed - it's a subtle difference. You might shave 0.5 seconds off your loading times for certain apps. The speed boost with the 600mhz patch is subtle, but real.

    Caj: Don't give up mate. When the 1.4 kernel becomes available we can begin again in earnest.
  10. #390  
    Quote Originally Posted by davenukem View Post
    Xenoc, sorry to say you are out of luck. Your phone is "broke" by all means. Something with overclocking in the new update caused the same thing to happen with the 800 mhz patch for me. Just doctor it using Caj's method and all should be well.

    And Caj, Mamouton couldn't have said it any better. Don't stop working on something so beneficial based on a hunch. For anybody who has upset you, they are foolish, you are doing some amazing work and I have to say I was amazed at how much better my phone was when I ran 800 mhz, even though it crashed my phone and i had to doctor when I upgraded. I accepted the risks and am happy I did. It was well worth it.

    Hopefully you continue the work. And on another note, if it was a hardware fault, consider yourself lucky that you actually are going to get a new pre with the processor from the 600 bin this time! Then you will be able to overclock that sucker with no problem.
    So removing the patch and going back down to 500mhz isn't going to work most likely?
    Last edited by Xenoc; 02/28/2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: I totally misread the response. Sigh.
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

    If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
  11. #391  
    A word to the wise, annotate your tweaks and hacks that you make on your phone. I forgot that I manually made the change to LunaSysMgr and coincidentally kept a backup named LunaSysMgr.orig. Today I ran the luna600patch script and it said that it was already installed. What did I do? Uninstalled it and it worked. The problem is that the script copied back the LunaSysMgr from 1.3.5.1. I blindly left the house and I could not launch any applications via Luna. When I got back home I realized what I did. I promptly copied the LunaSysMgr from WebOS Doctor 1.4 then ran the patch script again. Now my phone is singing along nicely at 600 MHz.

    I now have a note on the phone listing every modification I have made since updating to 1.4.
  12. #392  
    I make a seperate folder with all the patches I have in the event I have to visit the doctor.
  13. #393  
    it would be a shame to give up now after so much hard work thats been put into this patch! but you gotta do what you gotta do i guess. i will miss this speed badly but hope you get everything going good for you first . thanks again it was brief but man was it fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  14. #394  
    <...>
    Last edited by pogeypre; 03/11/2010 at 02:27 PM.
  15. #395  
    My initial data on the 720mhz and 800mhz kernal modification. Bear in mind that all 720 and 800 data is collected on firmware 1.3.5.x.

  16. stubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #396  
    Here's my data.

    All browser tests are done while connected via wifi. When running at 720 or 800MHz, the phone feels quite a bit faster than when at 500MHz. Apps load faster, etc., but the most noticeable change is in the percieved responsiveness, i.e., less lag. Things that tend to be laggy or not smooth at 500MHz, such as flipping between launcher pages quickly with several apps open or scrolling through long lists, respond better. However, even running at 800MHz does not eliminte all hesitation in the OS (disclaimer :P). The phone does not seem to have any issues at these speeds other than increased battery drain and slight increase in heat with heavy usage. Under light to no usage, idle drain seems comparable to 500MHz. All apps I've used run without flaw. Subjectively, there is not much (if any) of a noticeable difference between 720 and 800MHz. The clock indicates a small improvement from 720 to 800, but it isn't noticeable to me while using the phone. For example, the 20% increase from 500 to 600MHz feels like 20%, but the 20% from 600 to 720 only feels like maybe 8-10%, and the change from 720 to 800 isn't something I would likely notice without a stopwatch.

    See attached screenshot for all of the numbers in a spreadsheet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  17. #397  
    I'll start off by saying, it was fun! Big thanks to Jeff and Marco for making this possible.

    I ran at 800mhz for about a week, and honestly it made the pre everything i thought it was. No lag, no waiting for apps to load, I'd tap and icon and almost instantly the app would be on my screen.

    I've included my comments section of the spreadsheet in my screen cap for more info.

    But once again, it was probably the best week of my pre's life
    Attached Images Attached Images
  18. Shaikh's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    #398  
    Hope this helps!


    Testing these patches was Awesome!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
  19. #399  
    Hi guys,

    A few people have been asking me how to post images fullscreen.

    First you need to upload your image to a third party location, for example Picasa Web Albums, Flikr, Mediafire or your own choice of image hosting provider.

    Once the image is uploaded, right click on it & select "Copy URL Address".

    Now write a reply on Precentral & add the image using the [IMG] tag. For example:

    [IMG]your-URL-address-here[/IMG]

    Hope this helps
    SqyArc
    Last edited by SqyArc; 03/11/2010 at 04:38 PM.
  20. stubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #400  
    I'd rather attach the image than post it inline, since those services tend to not be available a few months down the road. This way, it's available to everybody, esp. since many corporate networks, etc., block services like MediaFire.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions