Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    All Pre's have the same CPU. But the difference is build dates. They are spec'd at 600Mhz.
    Live free or DIE!
    get some rest and go score! stop reading!
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluediablito View Post
    caj2008.........great work ...
    sorry to bother you with a stupid question...........how would i know if my pre has the old cpu (the 500 or the 600 cpu)
    is there a way?
    and are there any major difference between these 2 cpu (meaning are the older cpu taping out at a lower frequency than the 600?)
    The publicly available versions of these CPUs are spec'd at 600MHz.

Of course, the SoC wafer processing has wide variations, and it is always possible that Palm is buying some stock from a 500MHz speed bin instead of a 600MHz speed bin (lower speed bins are cheaper, and may have more available inventory at any point in time).

The facts are that there is no way of knowing ahead of time which device will run at which speeds. Build date is an interesting indicator, but definitely not a guarantee, as a vendor could easily buy parts from a lower speed bin at any time for cost or inventory reasons.

Hence the need to go through a comprehensive testing protocol (to find the speeds at which the majority of devices will be stable), and also to make sure that the installation is easily reversible on the possible small number of devices which may never be able to run faster due to hardware variations.

FYI, WebOS Internals is currently working with Jeff and Marco to see how this can be distributed safely through Preware, but definitely not until a couple of weeks after the next version of webOS is released at the absolute earliest.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    *See post below*
    Last edited by SqyArc; 02/26/2010 at 06:29 AM.
    I've had the patch for a few days and so far, my Pre Plus has been noticeably snappier. Kudos for your awesome work.

Also, would it be a good idea to uninstall the 600mhz patch prior to accepting the 1.4 update?
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GroverTheClover View Post
    I've had the patch for a few days and so far, my Pre Plus has been noticeably snappier. Kudos for your awesome work.

Also, would it be a good idea to uninstall the 600mhz patch prior to accepting the 1.4 update?
    Yes you need to remove before update
    Okay, that sounds like a good idea. Thanks.
    caj2008, unixpsycho
    sorry to bother you once again with questions....( i know you can be using others that may need your help instead)
    my questions....
    1.when will there be any reports of how the beta is going?
    2.when everything works out what would be the next step (meaning... are ya planing to speak to palm and letting then know of ya findings?.... and what will be next?)
    3.curious.....when you bump up the cpu does that means it will always run at the speed that is set, or is it able to go down and up in speed when its required?

sorry for my questions specially if they have been asked before .
    Well... I've been using the 600 patch for a few days, and it's actually been great after the first day or so. I honestly believe that the CPU needed to be broken in or something. Break-in is real for batteries, speakers... so why not CPU?

I can't reproduce the minor glitches, like in Terminal anymore... whereas I could reproduce them for the first 3 reboots or so.

I *can* reproduce the freezing during shutdown, tho. It seems like it happens more frequently after getting the "too many cards" error... but that's not the final indicator of if it will freeze or not, as occasionally it won't freeze after getting that error, and occasionally it'll freeze on a freshly booted system that has plenty of available RAM. It's only during the shutdown process that this happens (either Opt+Sym+R -or- "Device Restart" from the menu)... and only with the patch... so I guess it is possible that it could be some kinda corrupted system files then. ???? Dunno for sure.

And freezing at shutdown is what seems to make startup take that extra minute or so! Perhaps it's doing a FS check after ?

I can even avoid the shutdown process by doing a Luna Restart, which I think actually doesn't do a clean shutdown and just does a "pkill LunaSysManager" or similar. I should probly do a Luna Restart instead of a Device Restart anyway... so this patch is just helping me get in good habits.

Anyway... Just wanted to take you down from that cross, caj2008... and call you and unixpsycho my new saviors!! This patch definitely gets my blessing.

I knew I couldn't be the ONLY one who was having problems.
    CAJ, I am done running the test for both the 720 and 800 mhz patches. The only thing I need is to know my build date, but when I dial ##786 I cant seem to find it. There is and activation date (when I activated my Pre) and a warranty date code, it that it? There is another date field -Recondition Date- but it is blank.
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    CAJ, I am done running the test for both the 720 and 800 mhz patches. The only thing I need is to know my build date, but when I dial ##786 I cant seem to find it. There is and activation date (when I activated my Pre) and a warranty date code, it that it? There is another date field -Recondition Date- but it is blank.
    The warranty date code is your build date.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Testing completed and email sent!
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    ##786# not ##786
    Turns out they both do the same thing.
    Anyways all done you should have the results in the next minute or two.

Sent.
    Last edited by sracercelica; 02/25/2010 at 10:38 PM.
    Sorry about the delay of mine Jeff, been quite busy at home.
    Been doing bits at a time.
    I'll hope to get it done asap.
    On step 12 of 18 caj2008.
    As 1.4 is almost upon us please understand the following:
    • All overclocking patches and kernel modifications must be manually removed before updating to 1.4
    • Do NOT install the 720mhz or 800mhz kernel modification on your 1.4 firmware until caj2008 and unixpsycho have finished testing 1.4 to ensure it runs safely.
    • Instructions to uninstall the patches are included in the original Alpha Team email you received from caj2008.
    • Jeff has requested that you include in your report a statement on how easy/difficult you found the installation/uninstallation and any issues or problems you faced.

This is the final template for reporting statistical data regarding processor speed back to caj2008 and unixpsycho. The format is not rigid, you can add rows or change tests to suit you.

Please remember if you are testing the 720mhz and/or 800mhz kernel patches the data should be submitted directly to caj2008 and unixpsycho and not published or discussed in public until they have a chance to look over it collectively prior to OS 1.4. Jeff will then open a new forum thread at this time for open disclosure of these results where he will ask all testers to report a synopsis of their findings. He will then release the latest patch version to the alpha testing group (Phase 2 study).

Don't forget to thank them for their hard work

Click here to download the template

Screenshot:

To answer some nagging questions:

1) Stop asking for a PREEMPT kernel! It wont work with the binary kernel blobs from Palm, nothing I can do about that. Yes, the PREEMPT kernel was smooth, but useless without device drivers like wifi.

2) Why would you want 125Mhz when the purpose is to overclock? Running at 125 will make things choppy while ramping up even with aggressive step up i have configured. If you want 125Mhz then its easily do-able, go for it... This test is for static overclocking.

3) Why are some of you running other (unnamed) scaling patches while testing this kernel and then comment on 600Mhz? Yes, that was a rhetorical question.

4) 1.4 will be out today, no kernel patch for you! 1.3.5.x only. Unless someone has 1.4 kernel sources to give me...

there...i said it... the catnip has now wore off.
    Live free or DIE!
    I predict that 90% of the people who are over clocking have not read the warnings to remove before updating.

I predict the bricking will begin in about 8-10 hours.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    unfortunately. I am expecting flames in about 11 hours.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I predict that 90% of the people who are over clocking have not read the warnings to remove before updating.

I predict the bricking will begin in about 8-10 hours.

Sucks for them, but if they didn't read the warnings then it's there own fault. It's as simple as a saying my dad told me throughout my childhood. No pity for self inflicted pain. There's reasons for the doctor, this would be one of them.