1.    #1  
    Before I go any further, please note that I am not a developer nor do I work with computers. I appreciate any help but PLEASE explain things to me as simply as possible so as not to boggle my brain.

My husband says it's not worth his time to edit my json file to get rid of the NASCAR and NFL apps, since I'd probably get mad at him and want a new phone (not true!). But he has a point, especially if the next version of webOS just downloads the danged apps again. Which leaves me with no choice but using patches.

I've downloaded webOSQuickInstall. It told me I needed webOSdoctor, so I downloaded that as well. Just to be safe, I rebooted the computer (Mac OS X). I double-clicked on webOSdoctor, and it asked me to confirm English, then gave me a whole bunch of legalese to accept. Then came a window telling me it will reset my Palm, and after that a window telling me to connect the Palm with the USB cable.

So when exactly do I get the question window that lets me set to "USB device?" And does webOSQuickInstall launch itself? Because when I double-click on that icon, I briefly see ca.canucksoftware.WebOSQuickInstallApp in the menu bar, and then it goes right back to Finder without anything else happening.

I've been following the How To: Install Homebrew Apps on the Palm Pre, and now it looks like I'm stuck. Any advice (that I can understand) would be appreciated!
    Hi Animemom,

I can help you figure this out, but it will take some patience.

First off, a really important point. Do not ever run WebOS Doctor - it is an application designed to completely and irretrievably wipe/delete/format your Palm device. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, you shouldn't be touching this file. But don't delete it either, because it's needed for WebOS Quick Install to run.

The file you want to run is called WebOS Quick Install.

So, to install Preware you need to do the following:

1) Put your Palm device into Developer mode
    2) Connect your device to your computer using the USB cable
    3) Run WebOS Quick Install (NOT WebOS Doctor)
    4) Click the Blue Down Arrow on the main screen
    5) Choose WebOS Internals Feed (all) from the dropdown list at the top.
    6) Select (tick) Package Manager Service from the list.
    7) Select (tick) Preware from the list.
    8) Click Download.
    9) Click Close.
    10) Click Install.

And there you have it

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps.
    mine installs but acts funky
    what do you mean funky lol????
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  5.    #5  
    I hooked the phone up w/the USB cable, had it in Developer Mode, but the Quick Install app still won't open. I tossed it and downloaded it again, and it still only flickers its name in the menu bar for a second before returning to Finder. Not sure what to do to get this app to actually open and run. Any advice?
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    It sounds like you are missing Java. WebOS Quick Install will not run without the correct version of Java.

Here's the how-to guide for WOSQI:

http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes

Scroll down to the setup process and see step #2.
  7.    #7  
    Aha. According to Software Update, I have the latest Java for my computer. It's not Java 6 -- it's Java 5. Don't have the money or the hard drive space to update to OS 10.5; I'm on OS 10.4. Does that mean there is no Quick Install or Preware or anything for earlier versions?
  8.    #8  
    Guess not. So much for that.
    animemom: The best solution I think is to borrow a friend's computer to do this - there's no risk of viruses or anything like that. But I don't think it's possible to do this with such an old version of Java. Good luck!
  10.    #10  
    My husband got a copy of OS 10.6 to install while I'm away these coming days, so hopefully this will help! Thanks!