1.    #1  
    I'm wondering why IM apps like the built-in one take up so much battery, but that's because they're running in the background constantly.

Which leads me to wonder, does the pre have a push notification system the way the iphone does? I'm guessing we don't, otherwise why wouldn't the built-in use it, right?

I hope we do, or that it's coming at some point, because if apps like trillian astra come out, I would love to be able to stay online without actually having the app running all the time.
    Well WebOS can handle push email so it's fair to say that it has the architecture to be able to handle it. But you're right, I don't think the SDK allows third party developers to make use of it yet. Hopefully this will change soon, but I don't really know the official line to be honest.
    thats exactly how push notifications work. they run in the background checking the server for new info at specified time intervals. in fact webOS has, what I would consider, perfected push notifications with the way notifications are displayed.
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Well WebOS can handle push email so it's fair to say that it has the architecture to be able to handle it. But you're right, I don't think the SDK allows third party developers to make use of it yet. Hopefully this will change soon, but I don't really know the official line to be honest.
    How do you think Twee notifies you that you have new tweets.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    thats exactly how push notifications work. they run in the background checking the server for new info at specified time intervals. in fact webOS has, what I would consider, perfected push notifications with the way notifications are displayed.
    I thought it was the reverse. The client doesn't check the server or run in the background, because the server will 'wake up' the device when there's anything new. The only thing checking at intervals would be the server itself.
    Actually it's the opposite, zulfaqar621 - the reason Push is so great is because the phone/client doesn't need to keep checking in with the server for new messages every x minutes, which uses battery and data.

Push is when the server notifies the client directly in a one-way transaction.

Edit: In the case of Twee, Tweed, etc, it's not true Push - the applications are checking in with the server every x minutes - which is why battery life is reduced and notifications aren't received immediately - they can only be received every x minutes when the client checks in with the server.
  7.    #7  
    Sqyarc, if you say the SDK doesn't give devs access to it, then it's no surprise we aren't getting any good IM clients
    well i can accept when I am wrong. so i humbly take back what i said before.

Edit: webOS does have some form of push notification. "The Palm Pre webOS has push email for Gmail, IMAP, and Exchange accounts." Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_e-mail)
    Np, didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you. You're right, WebOS allows true push of email & Google Talk, AIM etc. We just need to wait for them to open it up to 3rd party developers. Incidentally BlackBerry has an awesome Push notification setup for 3rd apps. It "just works".