1.    #1  
    Some of you may have seen a few threads I created because I was having trouble with emaiiling attachments. Well the problem has been solved and it is an issue with Palm and how they set up their software. I'll start by saying that it doesn't make sense and is clealry not what I experienced with my Android software.

POP mail: If you have a server which uses "smtp" as your outgoing server under the POP configuration then you will not be able to send emails or attachments from your palm. You can reply with no problem, but not compose. Apparently from technical support at Palm their phones want OWA (Outlook Web Access) protocol. Unfortunately I was told by Palm that it was a server problem when it is strictly a limitation that Palm has imposed on using synch email.

EAS: The Palm system is the only on I've seen that does not give you a choice for using or not using SSL when setting up EAS. Interestingly it is an option for IMAP, but not EAS. Again on the Android software when setting up your account there is an option to use or not use SSL. If you want to set up EAS on your palm phone then you must obtain a copy of your security certificate and install it on your phone prior to establishing EAS. This applies only if you or your company have a private certificate and not a generalized one that is already programmed to be recognized by the phone.

Hope this helps someone, as it took several hours on phone calls and set-up to make sure the issue was not my phone, but it is the way that Palm wants to establish their email synch protocols.

The technical support person was very knowledgeable and we set up a gmail account to actually show that email was working on the phone, but their was another issue causing the problem.

Also for those setting up Google gmail. The mail setting defaults to IMAP configuration and you must go into your gmail settings and enable POP and disable IMAP to set up a POP account.

Again, good support, but please don't blame the consumer for limitations which you have placed on your system.

Why they have made some of these choices??
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I don't know either. It just makes palm look even more inept, or worse; disingenuous. Especially when they HAVE to know issues like this will be exposed.
    Quote Originally Posted by garyk19 View Post
    The technical support person was very knowledgeable and we set up a gmail account to actually show that email was working on the phone, but their was another issue causing the problem.

Also for those setting up Google gmail. The mail setting defaults to IMAP configuration and you must go into your gmail settings and enable POP and disable IMAP to set up a POP account.
    What was the "another issue" that was causing the problem?

Is there a POP setting to use with Gmail or does the Pre sets this for you?
  4.    #4  
    The "another issue" was what I described in my post. Essentially the problem is a Palm programming issue and its decision about how they want their email programs to synch and what to allow/not allow.

You can set up gmail with either IMAP or POP. However, make sure you have your gmail account settings set up for whichever one you want to use before setting up your Pre synch account. If you do not you can easily make the wrong choice and not understand why it does not work.
    POP: I have no problems sending emails (compose, reply, attachments, etc) using SMTP, so it definitely works in general.

EAS: You can use non-SSL by changing the "https://" to "http://" in the server URL when creating the account.

Also, using Gmail with IMAP works a lot better than POP.