1.    #1  
    This has happened to me twice in the past week.

I'll go to check my phone and the screen will not turn back on, no matter what I do. It also doesn't respond to me switching the ringer on and off of vibrate (where it would normally vibrate to confirm silent mode).

After pulling and replacing the battery several times, it will eventually display the black screen w/ the palm logo, but never load. If I pull/replace it again after that, it will eventually boot back up.

Bot times this has occurred I've had ample battery life when the phone came back to life.

Why is this happening?

My phone is unmolested, but does have a dying speaker and a seido battery.

Please help!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. My wife and I have been experiencing the exact same problem the last couple of weeks. We don't use patches or anything like that. Mine is a launch day unit while hers was purchased about two months ago.
    I'm not sure if I will completely explain your problem (because I don't have enough data to make a 100% accurate diagnosis), but I can explain some things that will help you to understand what is happening.

1) Remember that you phone is a Linux computer. What looks like a "stuck at the Palm" screen is likely the phone "just taking a long time to fix something" at the Palm screen. Most people likely don't wait long enough for the situation to resolve itself before pulling the battery. If the phone is doing something like checking or fixing the filesystem (due to an unexpected shutdown due to a battery pull), it might take an hour or two before being able to proceed. I can't be exactly sure what your phone was doing but what I just said is likely. I've seen past report where people have eventually fixed the behavior you saw by properly shutting down their phone and restarting it and patiently allowing it some time to fix itself. I'd do this at a time when you don't normally need the phone (like in the evening about an hour before you go to bed). If after two shutdowns and subsequent power-ups your phone does not boot normally, the next step would be to run webOS doctor on the phone. If that scares you, find a store with a knowledgeable employee who is willing to do this for you. After this, your phone will work as good as new!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    This problem if software related may require a complete system wipe. Directions for doing this are in the link in my signature
    Thanks caj2008. The reader can decide whether they want to doctor their Pre or try and see if it will recover by itself (as described in my preceding post). If they have heavily customized their phone, my approach may save them time in the end. If their phone is still stock, it's probably easier to follow your instructions (which is what I called "doctoring your Pre" with WebOS doctor).
    Good luck with that!! I have never found a single Sprint emplyee who could solve waht I could solve. ...
    I'm probably giving them too much credit! I tend to be able to figure out most of these sorts of things on my own. I also don't believe that all new WebOS users are always comfortable (or sometimes capable) of doing the same thing. I do believe at least the repair techs in any Sprint or Verizon store should at least have been trained to WebOS doctor a device. (If not, things are worse than I gave them credit for.)

... Sudoer, everything on how to Dr and correct patch failures is in my link. Check kit out. It has helped alot of people including newbies (via PM's)
    I really appreciate the posts you wrote up. I never bothered to read them yet (as I already know what to do) but I wll check them out! Thanks again for taking the time to write them!
    ... I would of course try multiple Luna restarts (battery pulls also) before trying anything. ...
    If the phone is stuck on the Palm logo (the "non flashing/changing" one) then I believe it's before what happens in a Luna restart. I'd follow my steps in the case of being stuck on a non-changing palm logo. You are right though that in many other cases, luna restarts can work magic. There's at least one homebrew app that lets you do luna restarts from the launcher. I recall hearing about a patch that adds an option for luna restarts to the power button menu (but I haven't installed/used that patch yet).
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    I'm not sure if I will completely explain your problem (because I don't have enough data to make a 100% accurate diagnosis), but I can explain some things that will help you to understand what is happening.

1) Remember that you phone is a Linux computer. What looks like a "stuck at the Palm" screen is likely the phone "just taking a long time to fix something" at the Palm screen. Most people likely don't wait long enough for the situation to resolve itself before pulling the battery. If the phone is doing something like checking or fixing the filesystem (due to an unexpected shutdown due to a battery pull), it might take an hour or two before being able to proceed.
    Fair enough. I waited about 20 mins the first time. You think it'd display a "running a ****" message or something in that event.

I can't be exactly sure what your phone was doing but what I just said is likely. I've seen past report where people have eventually fixed the behavior you saw by properly shutting down their phone and restarting it and patiently allowing it some time to fix itself. I'd do this at a time when you don't normally need the phone (like in the evening about an hour before you go to bed).
    I'll try this tonight.

If after two shutdowns and subsequent power-ups your phone does not boot normally, the next step would be to run webOS doctor on the phone. If that scares you, find a store with a knowledgeable employee who is willing to do this for you. After this, your phone will work as good as new!
    Will the doctor delete anything on my phone that I may want?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooldino View Post
    You think it'd display a "running a ****" message or something in that event.
    I agree with your suggestion, but I doubt that that sort of feedback is currently implemented. A simple "repairing filesystem, please wait until this finishes" sort of icon would be nice, but I think this is too early in the boot process for even such a message to be displayed.

I'll try this tonight.
    If your phone is in dev mode, you might be able to hook it up the the USB and open novaterm on your home computer. If you can get such a window, you'll be able to run Linux commands and get a much better idea of what's really happening.

Will the doctor delete anything on my phone that I may want?
    I don't know how the WebOS doctor might have changed since the early days, but it used to wipe mostly everything. I'd make the same assumption now, but it probably leaves your USB partition intact these days. If you have installed app store apps, it will remember what you had and re-download them after you tell your phone who your are (your Palm profile). It used to be that you had to reinstall your homebrew apps - not sure if that's changed. All patches/tweaks will be gone after a doctor. Not totally sure about things like saved email. If you are using IMAP, it will pull what's on the server again. If you are using POP, you will loose what's on your device.
  9.    #9  
    Wait, did this forum really censor out the f s c k command from my last post???

I tried sudoer's suggestion about shutting it down properly and starting it back up - it didn't seem to do anything crazy or take very long to power back up. That said, the issue hasn't occured since, but I suspect it's only a matter of time before it occurs again.
    Same thing happening to me. Unfortunately, I don't have 10 posts yet so I can't see your link caj.
    Mine is doing this as well. The first time I took to the sprint store and they said it is common. The biggest issue is that even though the screen is not working the battery still runs and dies. One the battery dies the tech said the pre wont charge from a complete dead battery and you hav eto put tthe battery in a different phone.

His fix for me was as soon as I notice the power down, take out the battery and replace it. Let the phone reset and then charge.

Palm needs to come out with a fix for this cause it s a pain in the ****.
  12.    #12  
    This has been happening to me frequently regardless of battery life. It seems to be provoked by messing with bluetooth and/or airplane mode.
  13.    #13  
    Note - this still occurs with the WebOS 1.40
    Any updates to this problem? Fixable without an exchange?
  15.    #15  
    I think I figured out something recently...but I'll have to wait until it occurs again to double check.

I think it may not actually be DYING, I think the issue may be that the screen may be failing to turn back on.

The reason I feel this way is because when this occurred the other day, I held down the power button for a few seconds, and felt the phone vibrate (like it does when it prompts you to either turn the phone off, go into airplane mode, etc).

However, tapping on the screen where the buttons would normally be also had no effect.
    I knew that much - that definitely is what's happening (along with sometimes the screen fading out in a weird way to a lit black). Nothing's getting better though? I'm thinking of changing batteries, did that help anyone?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I had the same issue before and after 1.4 The phone would go into this coma for hours and I never figured out the problem. I'm getting very frustrated with this phone and all these glitches!
    FTR mine was fine for a few months (a new warranty replacement) until last weekend. It seems like a software problem to me but it's looking like from everything I've read that I'm going to have to have it replaced again.
    It's pretty easy to determine if you've got a hardware or software issue.

1) Backup things that your Palm Profile won't have saved. Here's a tip.
    2) Perform a Full Erase.
    3) Doctor the phone with 1.4 Doctor (or even a Meta'd 1.4 Doctor ).
    4) If the problem still persists... it is most likely hardware, but there is a possibility of your backup being corrupt and automatically installing itself after a Doctor. In that case, you'd need to turn the "Backup" app to OFF before the Doctor, and then you can TRULY start fresh (paid apps should still be automatically installed, tho).

G'Luck!
  20.    #20  
    Looks like it was a hardware issue. Replaced the phone and it hasn't happened since *knock on wood*.