Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I have had my Pre since launch day and have never had to doctor it. I have several homebrew apps and patches installed. It's started acting a bit wonky so I thought before 1.4 and AUPT come out I would start fresh.

I know that since 1.3.1 or so, webOS doctor doesn't touch the /media partition. I have a bunch of apps that I want to save settings from if at all possible. Do apps store their data under /media as well? If so, does that mean the data will remain untouched as well?

Thanks!
    Core apps like Tasks, Memo Pad, Contacts etc will be restored thanks to the wireless backup (by the way, make sure you perform a manual wireless backup before you wipe your device as it may not have backed up automatically for a while). In my own experience, and this may not be true of all cases, the third party apps do not seem to store their settings in /media/internal - I say this because when I doctored my Pre, I had to readd all my feeds to Dr. Podder and re-enter my details into tweed, wIRC etc.

So, while your Palm apps will be restored, I don't think your third party apps will simply by saving /media/internal.

Hope this helps
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Core apps like Tasks, Memo Pad, Contacts etc will be restored thanks to the wireless backup (by the way, make sure you perform a manual wireless backup before you wipe your device as it may not have backed up automatically for a while). In my own experience, and this may not be true of all cases, the third party apps do not seem to store their settings in /media/internal - I say this because when I doctored my Pre, I had to readd all my feeds to Dr. Podder and re-enter my details into tweed, wIRC etc.

So, while your Palm apps will be restored, I don't think your third party apps will simply by saving /media/internal.

Hope this helps
    It does help, although it's not quite the answer I was hoping for :-) Thanks!
    From my experience in doctoring my palm pre everything that is not is not a core app is wiped. I doctored it like a day ago and I had to manually set all the settings on 3rd party apps unfortunately.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Well, I pulled the trigger yesterday and I have to say, the restore process was pretty damn impressive. My /media partition was completely untouched, but you guys were basically right that app settings were lost.

One thing I noticed was that all of my official apps were redownloaded, but even though none of my homebrew apps were (obviously,) they were still there after doctoring. Nice that they are just left alone.

The apps I was most worried about losing data from were ones like Absolute Finess, Tank Tracker, and drPodder, where I had accumulated a bunch of custom settings. Fortunately, those apps all use the SQLite storage APIs so they are kept under /media. All I had to do was launch the app to get it to create an empty database, then rename the original to the name of the new one under /media/.app-storage and everything was back to normal. Apparently PDK apps store their data in a different spot because they were left alone during the doctoring. Good thing since I was halfway through Need For Speed :-)

In the end, the only things I lost were minor settings, like login credentials, and contact linking in Synergy. It would be great if Palm could figure out a way to preserve Synergy linking but all in all, I was very impressed with the whole process!