1.    #1  
    I am not a developer and have absolutely no knowledge of Linux. I am looking to buy a Pixi Plus off-contract (I already own a Sprint Pre), as a small, convenient device with a great keyboard, for e-mails around the house, work, or whenever I have wi-fi available.

The Meta-Doctor steps are overwhelming to me since I don't understand them (it is beyond my knowledge and experience base). Is there any other option for me to get a brand new phone purchased off-contract from Verizon to be connected to a Palm account without using any cellular provider?

Thank you in advance.
  2.    #2  
    I solved my own problem and thought I would share it with the group. For those with access to a person that is a Verizon customer, they just have to deactivate their phone and then active the Palm device on the Verizon system. Once the phone is activated then will work with wi-fi. Meta Doctor will accomplish this same thing but if you are Linux challenged as I am and can find a willing friend, the whole process takes about 10 minutes and then your friend can deactivate your Palm device and then re-activate their phone. That's all there is to it, very smooth and easy.

Obviously this wouldn't work if you live outside the US, but thought it would be helpful to some people.