1.    #1  
    If anyone has any tips about pet photography and the Pre I would sure appreciate it.

Im sure you have all either experienced this, or have seen pics posted by others of pets, specifically dogs, that have been taken with the Pre using the flash, and have those dreaded white eyes.

Here are a few examples, using of course, My dogs as models

Indoors No Flash, the eyes are ok, but the picture is dark.

Indoors with flash, scary white eyes

Outdoors, no flash, a bit dark,

Outdoors, with flash, white eyes, but less than indoor flash

With my regular digital camera I can sorta direct the center focus away from the faces and get better results, but with Pre no matter what I seem to do, I cannot eliminate or even minimize this effect.

Sure, I can take each one to Photoshop,. but Im looking for (maybe in vain) a tip to be able to get quick pics, ready for sending or posting, that dont have this issue.

If it cant be done, its not the end of the world I still LOVE EVERYTHING about this phone/toy/device... just would be nice to know if it IS possible.

Thanks
    Diane

Special thanks to Denali and Autumn for their constant tolerating me making them stay still for pictures..
    I've noticed this too... to dark w/o flash and crazy white eyes w/ flash.
  3.    #3  
    boy this is dissapointing..

this is the 2nd time I have asked for some help/input on 2 different items in the last week or so and got absolutely NO response/help

This is the nature of shining an LED light into a dog's eyes. The only way to lose the reflection of the light in the dog's retina is to move the light source away from the lens access which is not possible on a cell phone camera. I would leave the flash set to off at all times unless absolutely necessary.
    you could correct this on the computer.

but youre not alone, my son has evil red eyes with pre's flash lol
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    It would be nice if someone could make a app edit photos to remove red/white eye on the pre.
    There are plenty of apps that will help you remove red-eye (humans) or white-eye (dogs). They just don't run on a Pre. And, as DutchTrumpet said, this is just physics. It affects most flash cameras, too. And it's any flash, not just LED.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    This is the nature of shining an LED light into a dog's eyes. The only way to lose the reflection of the light in the dog's retina is to move the light source away from the lens access which is not possible on a cell phone camera. I would leave the flash set to off at all times unless absolutely necessary.
    I'd have to agree. Flashes on just about every camera will always have that problem simply because the light source is so close to the lens and concentrated in one location. I've done some pet photography on the side and my recommendation is that you try to use ambient, natural light as much as possible with pets! Also, with indoor pictures, try not to mix lights (i.e. flash and incandescent light shouldn't be mixed - usually you'll end up with a properly colored subject and yellow background if you do this!)
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    I've tried dimming the led flash on cameras to get the right effect in lower light situations with a flash so you might try that. Basically taking a thin piece of paper and covering the flash with it. {I know pretty ghetto}

But it goes to show you that the pre really needs have some more photo apps. The camera is really good. Just need some better software for it.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for some interesting ideas and good feedback. I may try the "ghetto" tactic..

As for mixing light sources, how can you avoid that when taking an idoor, night time pictures with the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Thanks for some interesting ideas and good feedback. I may try the "ghetto" tactic..

As for mixing light sources, how can you avoid that when taking an idoor, night time pictures with the Pre?
    It takes seconds to fix this on the computer. I use Photoshop myself but there are also free programs to remove the red/white eye.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Buy each dog a pair of sunglasses - problem solved.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Why not just use photoshop or a lower difficulty/free photo editing program to do it??...
    Or Picnik - Photo editing the easy way, online in your browser (you can do it with one click of a button, aka: Auto correct.) but thats for n00bz :3. haha.