Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    When I get to
    Step 15: # cp -rf com.appyouwant.tobackup /media/internal/ (press enter)
    I seem to be getting a "not found" response in terminal. I tried different spacing and still got the same message. Am I to assume that "appyouwant.tobackup" is supposed to be replaced by that actual name of the app that I'm backing up? The thing is that I copied the entire app folder in the first set of instuctions because I want them all back (hassle free.) Am I mistaken?

I will be replacing my Pre tomorrow and want to know what is the best way (or only way) to use this backup file to restore my new Pre to that of my old one. I was thinking that I could copy the entire contents of my Pre USB (including back-up file created once I figure out the above paragraph) onto my desktop, then when I plug in my new Pre, I would wipe out it's contents and copy over the old usb folder (the one with the back-up in it.) Is that all I need to do... or do I need to "restore" the file with Preware or something. Dcar96 seems to be implying that simply placing the back-up file on the new pre is all that is needed, but he never elaborated on how he got it working "perfectly." I'm mainly worried about MiFi Hotspot since that was kinda a pain to install (for me.) Are the assumptions that I'm making correct, or am I missing something?
    Last edited by aairman23; 02/03/2010 at 11:14 PM.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23 View Post
    When I get to
    I seem to be getting a "not found" response in terminal. I tried different spacing and still got the same message. Am I to assume that "appyouwant.tobackup" is supposed to be replaced by that actual name of the app that I'm backing up? The thing is that I copied the entire app folder in the first set of instuctions because I want them all back (hassle free.) Am I mistaken?

I will be replacing my Pre tomorrow and want to know what is the best way (or only way) to use this backup file to restore my new Pre to that of my old one. I was thinking that I could copy the entire contents of my Pre USB (including back-up file created once I figure out the above paragraph) onto my desktop, then when I plug in my new Pre, I would wipe out it's contents and copy over the old usb folder (the one with the back-up in it.) Is that all I need to do... or do I need to "restore" the file with Preware or something. Dcar96 seems to be implying that simply placing the back-up file on the new pre is all that is needed, but he never elaborated on how he got it working "perfectly." I'm mainly worried about MiFi Hotspot since that was kinda a pain to install (for me.) Are the assumptions that I'm making correct, or am I missing something?
    The main purpose i posted the method of backing up apps, was because i lost my paid apps when i switched devices, so this is how to backup all your applications.. just in case you lose your apps .

as far as patches are concerned just install them through preware..

as far as mobile hotspot im not really quite sure the issues you had, but you need to reinstall it ... especially if you're getting a new device.
    So...as per you instructions (which I assumed was talking about backing up "homebrew apps"), I was able to create an "applications" folder on my Pre's USB. When I open it up, it appears to contain folders of all the apps that I have currently installed (including Homebrews, patches, & Mobile Hotspot) So when I get my new Pre and let the cloud do its thing as far as re-installing all my official apps...will I be able to drag the folders of the missings apps(from the back-up folder you helped me create) on my new Pre, and have them show up in my launcher?

I understand that I can just re-install patches and mobile hotspot via Preware/Quickinstall, but I would have to go and find everything again...since I didn't save the IPKs and they are not contained in the newly created "application" folder on USB.

I guess my ignorance is making this "back-up-thing" more of a hassle then just starting over with re-installing everything from scratch. I guess I was thinking that this would be and easy way of cloning all my paid and homebrew apps currently in my launcher. Pipe dream?
    Last edited by aairman23; 02/03/2010 at 11:50 PM.
  4.    #44  
    So...as per you instructions (which I assumed was talking about backing up "homebrew apps"), I was able to create an "applications" folder on my Pre's USB. When I open it up, it appears to contain folders of all the apps that I have currently installed (including Homebrews, patches, & Mobile Hotspot) So when I get my new Pre and let the cloud do its thing as far as re-installing all my official apps...will I be able to drag the folders of the missings apps(from the back-up folder you helped me create) on my new Pre, and have them show up in my launcher?

I understand that I can just re-install patches and mobile hotspot via Preware/Quickinstall, but I would have to go and find everything again...since I didn't save the IPKs and they are not contained in the newly created "application" folder on USB.

I guess my ignorance is making this "back-up-thing" more of a hassle then just starting over with re-installing everything from scratch. I guess I was thinking that this would be and easy way of cloning all my paid and homebrew apps currently in my launcher. Pipe dream?
    im sorry if my instructions gave the impression that it would be easier to backup your homebrew and patches and leave them on your USB drive for easy reinstallation.. im updating the post to explain otherwise. Again this is for those that want a Backup of their apps for whatever reason.

Patches , especially with the new version of preware with auto updates, is unneccessary to back up.

ipk's are easy enough to make.. if you have the sdk installed. and if you dont you cant just send them using the same method as the backup with 2 changes

Terminal: My Next Favorite
    1. Fire up Preware and when all the feeds have finished loading tap on "List of Everything"
    2. Start typing in preware (this will initiate a universal search in preware) Terminal
    3. click on "Terminal" NOT "Terminal Service" and click install
    4. Terminal is dependant on another file as well in order to work Preware should install it on its own but if not.
    5. do another Universal search by swiping back and deleting the contents of the search field
    6. now do a search for Terminal
    7. A bunch of diff files shoul come up , the one we want is Terminal Service click that and install
    8. After it installs your phone will lose signal its ok its doing a java restart
    9. Now leave Preware and fire up Terminal
    10. Dont be scared of the Black screen
    11. Start Typing
    12. cd / (press enter)
    13. rootfs_open -w (press enter)
    14. cd /media/internal/ (press enter)
    15. cp -rf com.appyouwant.toinstall /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ (press enter)
    16. Reboot (press enter)

wait for your phone to reboot and you should find the file on the usb drive
  5.    #45  
    When I get to
    no you are not mistaken but its not just the name ... say you want to backup the game monopoly .. you would need to replace the the text with com.gameloft.app.monopoly (basically you need to know the app id for the app)
    Thank you for clarifying...and thank you for the original post. It may not be exactly the method I was looking for, but it is nice to have the back file. Thanks again for taking the time to explain it to my dumb ***.
    Thanks! This helps with a lot of stuff, will limit my ***? posts on other forum areas.
    Hi! Do all these instructions apply to the Verizon Pre Plus as well? Or Are there some compatibility issues I should be aware of?
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by trale View Post
    Hi! Do all these instructions apply to the Verizon Pre Plus as well? Or Are there some compatibility issues I should be aware of?
    pre , pixi, pre plus, pixi plus... And all current webos devices
    Wow, thanks ahead of time for all this great info! Looking forward to getting my first smart phone, the Pre Plus, from Verizon. This forum looks fabulous. I feel as though I'll already know the phone when I get it. Thanks for the effort, Sketch42.
    Cliff,
    Freehold, NJ
    I uninstalled the patch to show Sprint TV icon but it did not want to come out of hiding... Preware/WOSQI say patch is gone, but there is no icon on launcher. I tried re/uninstalling the patch a few times... nada.

I ran WOSRepair a few times to no avail. I even ventured a guess with "restore specific file: usr/palm/applications/com.mobitv.app.sprinttv/icon.png" & was told: file not found in webOS Doctor. Is this even the right directory for the launcher icon??

P.S.I have 2 icons in sprinttv directory: icon.png & icon.pngBACKUP. I know the former is leftover from an old theme, not even EPR or full erase got rid of it. I am loving the idea of trial n error with terminal app (just discovered!!) to rename backup file & ditch the clinger. But as I just learned what a command line was about 8 hours ago, I'll wait until I can actually see the icon I want to resuscitate...

*Running webOS 1.3.5.1 on sprint palm pixi, WOSQIv3.01, WOSRUv1.9 & latest version of Dr., operating on windows vista x64 service pack 2. Phew.
  12.    #52  
    i would run the EPR - this will remove all patches - and should restore the backup of the icon. if not send this icon to /usr/palm/applications/com.mobitv.app.sprinttv/

Attached Images Attached Images
    sketch42 - great post! Just wanted to mention that you might want to update your info in the main post where you say "remove all patches and themes before installing a new update".

With the release of AUPT, the only thing a user needs to worry about now is removing their theme. Of course a full wipe is never a bad thing, but it's not necessarily needed anymore.
  14.    #54  
    im waiting for after 1.4 because once everyone has 1.4 on their phone its guaranteed that they removed all patches and reinstalled them. thus making everyones AUPT compatible.
    Great point.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Wow thanks to the OP and others who contributed to this thread.
    Wow, Sketch, this is really nice! Kudos!
  18.    #58  
    im working on an expanded version hopefully ill be able to have it ready within the next few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Anyone who spends this much time to help out his fellow WebOs users, deserves to have his thread stuck... Good job.
    Most Def. This was awesome Sketch. Thanks for taking the time to put this together!
  20.    #60  
    Updated ... with AUPT information
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast