Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The difference is that the http://install.preware.org/ url will *always* point to the correct instructions, even if they need to change.
    The link that it points to now is not under the direct control of the developers, so can easily get out of date.

-- Rod
    gotcha... link updated
    What about this question: "What is the best method to sync my music, to include Album Art and Play Lists?" The Play List in the original Pre music app is a joke.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    What about this question: "What is the best method to sync my music, to include Album Art and Play Lists?" The Play List in the original Pre music app is a joke.
    if there was a good answer to that question ill post it up.. as far as i understand double twist is the way to go.. Sync, Play, Convert to BlackBerry, PSP, iPod, iPhone | doubleTwist

but there are def alot of other options... ill look around and add it to the post
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I am PORING over these: Getting Started, Noobie, Tips and Tricks:
    I have been coveting the Palm Pre since I first heard about it January 2009. Sprint has NO reception in my home or neighborhood, so I have been patiently awaiting Verizon's move into WebOS. I am counting the hours until I am standing in line outside Verizon MONDAY Jan 25th, 2010 picking up my Palm Pre Plus AND Pixi Plus for husband. Precentral rocks! Thanks for all the help--more to come once I finally get my hands on that Pre!!
    Patrice
    Virginia
    Works like nothing else!
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    Wow, talk about a helpful and easy breakdown for us new to WebOS. I love this phone, I may lose interest in my Droid all together.
    thanks...i was wondering becuase i think i want to buy this
    Great advice! I'll be checking it often. We just returned a Moto Droid that we had had all of 36 hours to get the Pre Plus on the first day of availability from Verizon. We were spent all weekend trying to import contacts from a Palm 700P all and never were successful. Within the first hour of owning the Pre Plus, my wife was operating the phone like she had owned it for months, it was amazing (we are in our 60's).
    Once again thank you for your time and effort at keeping us informed.
    GREAT collection of helpful info.
    That said, any way to get a couple more specifics regarding Backing Up Homebrew Apps?
    Specifically, what to do after copying selected folders over to Media on USB. I install Terminal apps & copy over there before doing an update or what? How would I retrieve them? Backs up to device automatically or do I have to go in and reinstall each one from USB? If the latter, why not just retrieve from Preware feeds (except paid for apps)?

Also: with the latest (1/26) change to"Auto Update" capable patches, what (if anything) needs to be removed before doing an OS update? Theme?

Thanks again for putting together a darn-near perfect collection of instructions.
    wow i'm eying up the palm pre plus and already losing interest in my Eris Droid. Think im just going to go ahead and get it. By the way im a newbie to the site my first post hello everyone. Came from win mo to blackberry to dorid now to palm. See ya around in the forums.
    I concur with all the thanks. My Pre Plus should be here tomorrow

Quick question: Has anyone had success with the export .csv routine thru VZWs Backup Assistant into GMail? this seems to be the only way to transfer my contacts from the old phone and it seems a little um....archaic?

Thanks again!
    Christa
    Okay, so I'll answer my own question for everyone. It worked really well. Flawless actually. Probably should have tried it before posting. Silly noob mistake.
    I see software listed on Palm's website for backing up data, syncing, all that stuff, BUT I do not see anything like the basic Palm Desktop for the Pre. They only offer paid services. I am already paying for my phone!

So is the Palm Desktop compatible with the Verizon Pre Plus, or do I have to either choose generic USB device/paid service?
    NICE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjoebob View Post
    I see software listed on Palm's website for backing up data, syncing, all that stuff, BUT I do not see anything like the basic Palm Desktop for the Pre. They only offer paid services. I am already paying for my phone!

So is the Palm Desktop compatible with the Verizon Pre Plus, or do I have to either choose generic USB device/paid service?
    Unfortunately, if you REALLY want to use Palm Desktop, yes you will need to pay for the software/program/whatever. I agree, quite lame. However, I had previously used bot Outlook and Palm Desktop for Treo and WinMo devices and am now solely on Gmail's platform with the Pre (since last July) and couldn't be happier. Does everything Palm Desktop did and its automatic backup so no manual syncing. Its safe to make the jump. And Gmail is completely free. Just my $.02
    Last edited by dcar96; 01/28/2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcar96 View Post
    GREAT collection of helpful info.
    That said, any way to get a couple more specifics regarding Backing Up Homebrew Apps?
    Specifically, what to do after copying selected folders over to Media on USB. I install Terminal apps & copy over there before doing an update or what? How would I retrieve them? Backs up to device automatically or do I have to go in and reinstall each one from USB? If the latter, why not just retrieve from Preware feeds (except paid for apps)?
    the main reason i put it up was to show how to backup your Paid app catalog apps.

you need to do this every time there is a new update to the app. theres no auto backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcar96 View Post
    Also: with the latest (1/26) change to"Auto Update" capable patches, what (if anything) needs to be removed before doing an OS update? Theme?

Thanks again for putting together a darn-near perfect collection of instructions.
    Themes will still need to be removed as to my knowledge. patches should survive but themes need to be removed

Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver27 View Post
    Okay, so I'll answer my own question for everyone. It worked really well. Flawless actually. Probably should have tried it before posting. Silly noob mistake.
    mind posting up instructions so i can add it to the first post?
    Thanks for all the infomation! I'm learning a lot. The video's were also very helpfull.
    Good information, I was looking for a solution to this also and will try gmail.
    As a newbie from Verizon, thanks a bunch for this!
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Not quite sure...but I think this has been updated since I first saw this post. Or one similar. Updated and much more current. Thank you for posting this. Its helped me more than once.
    welcome
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast