1.    #1  
    Hi!

I had problems after updating to 1.3.5.2 (I guess due to not removing all homebrew apps and preware patches), the phone wanted to restart all the time, I could not install apps and so on.

Also, resetting to factory defaults did not work. :-(

I called support and they showed me another way to force a Palm pre into factory settings using webos-Doctor. I have not read about this way anywhere so far:

1. Turn it off
    2. remove battery
    3. insert power cord in phone (but do NOT insert the other end into wall charger or computer.)
    3. Press the "volume-up"-key and hold it pressed
    4. Insert other end of usb-power-cable into wall-charger
    5. A questionmark should appear on the screen
    6. insert battery (while still holding "volume up")
    7. A USB-symbol should appear on screen
    8. now release "volume up"
    9. remove powercord from charger and plug it into pc.
    10. Start webos doctor and follow instructions
    11. DO NOT REMOVE THE CABLE until installation is finished. Do not crash your computer, either!

After about an hour or so of installation (you see a micro chip symbol with an arrow on screen) the device is reset. For me it was 1.3.1. Updating from there went fine.

Beware if you use a virtual machine for this procedure: The palm pre changes its USB-appearance 3 times, the virtual machine might not recognize the changed device and you might have to enable write-access to the now-new device during the procedure. It worked for me, but i would not recommend that you do that the same way. Use a real machine instead.

Best wishes!
    Jörg
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Removing the battery and putting it back is not necessary at all.
    ░▒▓█ Palm Pre 8GB
    ░▒▓█ OS ► v1.3.5.2
    ░▒▓█ ROM date ► 11/01/2010
    ░▒▓█ Radio ► GSM Pre Unlocked
    ░▒▓█ Jailbroken ► Preware + WebOS Quick Install
    ░▒▓█ Provider ► AirTel, Mumbai, India.
    ░▒▓█ Supported ► Palm Profile, GPRS, Dial, SMS, MMS, Voicemail, Tethering via USB + Bluetooth
    Thank you to Donalbain and caj2008 for help on this. I will try this today - my unit is "bricked".

Questions:

a) CAJ2008 states in #12 - "Log in to profile". Is this the Palm profile? I presume this is on a PC.

b) I am using a MAC. Are there any issues with the process that anyone is aware of or has tried?

I found that Preware was not working after the update in the past week (yes I updated the pkgmngr and it and ran EPR etc. After I Dr. the phone, can I avoid Preware and just use WEBOSQI to install everything in the future? Do I need to install Preware or Pkgmnr, Diffstat, GUI (?) etc to upload patches?

Thanks again for all of your help.
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    I followed the instructions from above and I still keep getting device not recognized. HELP!!
    OMG! This works great!!!!!!!

I had different themes screwing up my phone. The icons were neon green and I couldn't get rid of them. This restored my pre to factory defaults and my phone contacts were still there. Exactly what I needed. Good Luck and thank you for this thread!!!!!!
    Forgot to mention I followed #1's advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    To fix truly bricked Pre-CAJ2008 Rules

Get OS Doctor versions 2.7 and latest version 3.5.1
    Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    and WebOSQI latest version. Make sure your PC had latest version of Linux installed beforehand

1. Turn PRE off
    2. remove battery
    3. insert power cord in phone (but do NOT insert the other end into wall charger or computer.)
    3. Press the "volume-up"-key and hold it pressed
    4. Insert other end of usb-power-cable into wall-charger
    5. A questionmark should appear on the screen
    6. insert battery (while still holding "volume up")
    7. A USB-symbol should appear on screen
    8. now release "volume up"
    9. remove powercord from charger and plug it into pc. Load onto PC OSWeb Doctor 2.7 (other lower versions can work as well), and 3.5.1 current version Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    10. Start webos doctor 2.7 (other lower versions can work as well, erases usb corrupt files) and follow instructions
    11. DO NOT REMOVE THE CABLE until installation is finished. Do not crash your computer, either!
    12. Log into Palm Profile on Pre
    13. On Pre go to Device Info: Hard Reset
    14. Wait until done, then log in as before.
    15. Insert konami code: upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart. Turn development code on and restart
    16. Connect usb from Pre to PC (charge only mode)
    16. Run WebOSDoctor 3.5.1 to get to current operating system and relogin. After yout apps are loaded, insert konami code and turn off. Restart

This will fix anything! Details in the past haven't been this extensive.

Give Thanks if you found this useful!

PS If you have backed up your profile and usb stuff you are even better off, otherwise this will just backup what palm did only. At least your phone is unbricked now.
    Having been around these forums for a while, it was my understanding that this method would completely wipe the phone but this doesn't appear to be the case. I doctored my phone to WebOS 1.2.1, created a new Palm Profile so no settings or apps would be installed, then performed a hard reset, then installed WebOS 1.4.1.1, then signed into my original Palm profile which reinstalled my previous settings and apps. Upon launching some of these apps I found their settings were retained after being doctored this way.
    Apps I've noticed that retained their settings:

aniWeather (retained my location)

Clock (retained my alarms and both the 4231 and sixtyten settings)

RadioTime (retained my login info and presets)

Free Klondike (appears to have retained my accomplishments as I don't get any now since I haven't done better than before the doctor)

Preware Alpha (Preferences settings were retained but it didn't retain WebOS Internals testing feeds)

Anybody else have this same experience?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Having been around these forums for a while, it was my understanding that this method would completely wipe the phone but this doesn't appear to be the case.[...]
    Yep, ever since webOS 1.3.5, the webOSDoctor no longer deletes installed apps
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I understand that, which is why I doctored to 1.2.1 first, essentially wiping /media/internal. And just to be sure I did both an Erase Apps & Data and Erase USB Drive before doctoring to 1.2.1 and a Hard Reset after doctoring to 1.2.1 just prior to doctoring to 1.4.1.1. But the listed apps somehow retained their settings after all this
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    RadioTime (retained my login info and presets)
    For reference, RadioTime Presets are stored server-side; not on the device. This allows a user to login to RadioTime.com using the same username/password information to add/delete/organize their presets in a much easier way than doing it all on the little Palm screen. Login information is stored in a cookie on the device.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Follow TuneIn on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/tunein
    That I understand as well. But I didn't have to input any information into RadioTime after the above doctoring process. RadioTime already knew it after it installed, meaning the cookie didn't get deleted.
    Or if the cookies are stored like web cookies then it makes sense since web cookies are backed up to the Palm Profile, and would have been restored after the doctoring process.
    Last edited by NachoB; 04/30/2010 at 09:39 AM.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Thank you so very much, you saved my phone. I would have had to take to verizon but now I dont. Thanks