1.    #1  
    So after the first couple webOS updates, I realized it was beneficial to simply doctor my phone after the webOS doctor was released. It just keeps everything running smooth, and I like things running smooth. Note: I don't use the Palm Profile to store contacts, I only use google, facebook, and yahoo.....
    So needless to say, I've done this quite a few times, and have set up a little spreadsheet to help me with things. There are a few things to note:

1. Backup all relevant files from the phone first using USB mode. Even though the doctor shouldn't touch this, better safe than sorry.
    2. I like to do a full erase first, then immediately doctor the phone, but this is your choice.
    3. After running the doctor, start up the phone, sign into your profile, and get everything set there. Contact accounts, email, etc.... Let the phone re-sync your applications too....
    4. When this is all finished, then I know it is time to bust out my handy spreadsheet and get to work finishing up my phone setup.

It can take a while for everything to finish after you first sign into your profile, especially if you have large games such as Need for Speed, etc.... Be patient and let it all finish. Then reboot the phone and proceed with the steps in the spreadsheet. Feel free to change the spreadsheet as you see fit, and obviously update it with your patches and applications, etc....

Any questions or whatever feel free to ask. I will try to help, or someone more knowledgeable probably will.....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    this is quite clever

doctoring tonight
    think i'll be making my own spreadsheet, also helpful in the case of running EPR.

in the first column, what do lines 14-27 do? I've never done any of that.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    this is quite clever

doctoring tonight
    think i'll be making my own spreadsheet, also helpful in the case of running EPR.

in the first column, what do lines 14-27 do? I've never done any of that.
    Lines 14-27 are completely optional. I install the optware stuff (openSSH and whatnot) so that I can connect to the pre over the wifi connection at home and at my office. Then I can use putty to get to a linux shell and input commands, or I can use WinSCP for file transfers and such. Wirelessly browsing the pre's linux file structure is awesome, fast, and easy. The lines after the optware stuff are about how to setup the authorized_keys file on the pre so that it will work with the private key I generated (using puTTYgen which is installed with WinSCP). Then when I connect to the pre, it knows I am authorized and then I have access as root to the linux system.

If you do a lot of modding, I would look into setting up the optware stuff (the stuff I installed) and then getting putty and WinSCP installed on your computer. After that its just a matter of getting the two to talk (and setting up the keys so that once they talk they trust each other and you can do something useful). If you are interested, poke around on WebOS Internals site and read up on it. And if you have questions about it, feel free to ask, though I must admit I'm pretty new to it. But guys (like Rod from webos internals) would I'm sure be able to offer some insight too.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    ah, okay. too techie for me. i'll stick to the basics. I have adopted your spreadsheet though, updated mine last night
  5.    #5  
    Always glad to be of help to anyone here.
    I am looking at doing my first Doctor visit and this can come in handy. However, some other posts have said to do a 1.2 doctor first to fully erase. Is this needed or not?