Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm quite new to the Forums, but I'd like to share some ideas with you. And I hope this is the right place.

After deciding for the Palm Pre ( Multitasking did it ) I had two problems. First of all, I don't have a data plan but I'm > 50% of the day in a Wifi cell, so I had to go through flashing WebOS 1.3.1 and enabling WiFi right from the start. I think this is a new record, as I begin playing with the Firmware normally after turning on the phone for the first time.
    The second problem is giving all Data to Palm and/or google for a incomplete Backup. I've been using Google Calendar on my Ipod Touch, but I can't understand how people can give ALL of their data to one Company like google.

I'm running Linux.

Using the Pre without a data Plan
    There are some guides on how to enable the Pre without using a Data plan, check for meta doctor.
    The 1.3.1 Firmware has a setting to disable data Usage in the Phone Settings. I've also disabled data roaming to be sure.

Syncing without Google
    This was the most overkill Part. The only way I found to sync with Linux is to either install a MS Exchange Server (15Gb ) or something that looks like a MS Exchange Server. I'm using Zarafa as a Groupware. It has a iCal Gateway to sync the Calendar and it allows syncing Contacts and Tasks via a Plugin called Z-Push 1.3, just what I need. Its possible to add mail, but as I use a different IMAP server for that, I don't need it.
    I'm running this server in a VirtualMachine on my Desktop, as I really just want to sync and edit contacts and calendars, I don't need instant updates.
    While the Exchange Server is down, the Pre caches changes and updates the next time it has a connection to the Server.

Backing up without Palm
    As the Palm Backup is incomplete and I don't consider it Trustworthy, I'm backing up the Pre via rsync: (link to the WebOS Internals Wiki )

Privacy
    I don't want Palm to know where I am, so I disabled uploadd and removed /usr/bin/contextupload

These are the steps I took, I quite like my Pre now as it's still a great device and its getting even better.

Any hints or comments on "my way"?
    -rob
    Thank you for your informations. This will be my way too.

I am still using a palm T3 and I am planning to switch to the Pre. I also don't want to sync my private data to somewhere in the Internet.

I found some information about Zarafa, Zimbra or Open-xchange for setting up an own server to sync with. But I wasn't sucessfull yet. I try this with the Palm Emulator.

Do you have some tips or a how to for setting up such a virtual machine?

I did never hear about uploadd and contextupload. Can you explain this a little?
  3.    #3  
    Hi,

thanks, I nearly thought that I'm the only one who wants to avoid Google.

I hope you are somewhat into Linux, as these are quite a long way I won't give a step by step explanation.

Installing VirtualBox and Ubuntu
    Go to VirtualBox and download the Emulator. Then goto Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu and grab Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and install it in the emulator. This process is quite straight and you find many howtos on the internet.

Installing Zarafa and z-push
    I simply followed this Howto to install Zarafa on Ubuntu: HOWTO: Zarafa exchange replacement - Ubuntu Forums . I skipped the Mail part as I use other mail servers and use Zarafa only for Contacts, Calendar and tasks.
    Important: When downloading Z-Push, use the latest 1.3RC2 or if you know how SVN works, use the AS12 branch as it includes many fixes.
    Another "problem" are timezones ( as usual ), you need to set the timezone in:

* Ubuntu, run tzconfig and follow the instructions
    * Zarafa: /usr/share/zarafa-webaccess/config.php
    * Z-Push: /var/www/z-push/config.php

and last, but not least on the Pre. Disable network Timezone and select yours.

With this I'm able to sync my Pre with Zarafa and work with the really good web Gui from zarafa.

Privacy
    This howto is in German: Dem pre beim Datenschutz auf die Sprünge helfen - Palm Pre Forum / web OS Forum - xda-zone.de & palm-pre-forum.de - Forum für Windows Phone und Palm pre , read the second post. In short, you need to have root access:

0. mount -oremount,rw /
    1. /sbin/initctl stop rdxd -- data collection service
    2. /sbin/initctl stop uploadd -- upoloader
    3. chmod -x /usr/bin/contextupload or save them somewhere ( /media/internal ) and delete it
    4. save /etc/event.d/rdxd und uploadd somewhere and delete them, this prevents the service from being started.
    4.5 mount -oremount,ro /
    5. Disable Backups in the menu.

Hope this helps someone.
    Thank you again.

I will try this next week.

If this works and is somewhat easy to handle, then it would be great to publish the complete virtual machine. VirtualBox runs on Windows and Linux and I already know some people who are interested in this.
    Palm III -> Palm IIIe -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Pre -> HP :-( Pre2
  5.    #5  
    It should be possible to create a minimal Virtual Machine that needs "just" some hundred MB.

And I forgot:
    Coloring your Calendar
    You can't color single events in the calendar and you cannot add multiple Calendars to Zarafa AND download them to the Pre, but you can add multiple Accounts to Zarafa ( I use one Personal and one for University ), install these on the Pre and select a nice color. In Zarafa you can share the Second Calendar for other Zarafa Users ( say your own "main" user, login with your second Account and set Permissions on the Calendar, then Add this Shared Calendar in your "main" Account. ). With this you can Edit both Calendars with one Account. Don't forget to Select the right default Calendar and the Default Account for Mail and Contacts on the Pre. I also selected "Manually" for the refresh time as the Virtual Machine is only online if my computer is on and I don't need instant updates.

Installing Zarafa onto a "real" Server on the Internet would also be great as this would provide your own small "Cloud". You should add SSL to apache in this case.
    Last edited by damnregister; 01/24/2010 at 04:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    yes very good post !!
    i was about to write s thread about how to setup your own personal cloud.
    damnregister got all the info which are needed. i wonder why nobody is using or talking about this. it would make a big post for the frontpage of precentral.

however, my solution is not with zarafa which gives us a 2nd solution on how to escape the cloud, this time again from german guys. it really seems amercians arent concerned about all their personal data up in the cloud. but me also cant imagen one real big buisnessman using a public service like google.

well, they dont have to
    zarafa or now: Tine 2.0 - Home

ine 2.0 is an open source project, which combines groupware, CRM and ERP into one system and is therefore useful for the the whole company, from field staff to back office members.

Thanks to their consistent orientation to the users needs, Tine 2.0 makes business collaboration easier and more enjoyable.
    Synergies, which the whole company profits from, are being created through its deft linkage between and among the different components, and the collective work on one master data source.
    confirmed working with the pre..

maybe ill go write a howto...
  7.    #7  
    Thanks, maybe I'll try that too as I've got several problems syncing birthdays ( they appear one day earlier ).

Just out of interest, who added the two tags conspiracy theory and john birch to this thread?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    hahaha yes i thought that too, wonder if somebody is watching me xD
    well this thread at least ^^

however, this is only common sense if you got history in the internet aka the cloud, but funny how some people try to joke with it.

john birch society was actually new to me but you never learn enough

if you run into problems working with tine take a look into this thread, these german people got some solutions:
    Tine 2.0 - die eigene Wolke - Verbindungen - Nexave Palmforum
    I already found Tine 2.0 last September, but I didn't realize that this Active Sync is the same as Exchange Active Sync. Since Tine 2.0 is written in PHP I hope it will run on my Qnap TS 109. This NAS is running all the time in my home network.
    But I still have one problem:

How can I sync my addressbook from Thunderbird with Tine 2.0 or Zarafa? Of course it would be possible to send mails from the webinterface, but I do not like this.
    I searched for some plugins for Thunderbird, but wasn't succesful yet.

Do you have any ideas?
    Palm III -> Palm IIIe -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Pre -> HP :-( Pre2
  10.    #10  
    Syncing the addressbook is a problem, syncing the calendar is possible via ical.
    As I don't use Zarafa as Mail Server, it does not bother me, but one possible solution would be using the patch, which allows you to send all your contacts via E-Mail as a VCF file, thunderbird should import these. It's quite manual but for smaller addressbooks this should work.
  11.    #11  
    Oh yeah, sorry to reply to this topic again but Tine 2.0 REALLY ROCKS.
    It only needs PHP and MySQL and it does everything I need as unneeded plugins may be disabled. Fighting my Birthday Timezone Problem again
    Quote Originally Posted by damnregister View Post
    Hi,

thanks, I nearly thought that I'm the only one who wants to avoid Google.

I hope you are somewhat into Linux, as these are quite a long way I won't give a step by step explanation.

Installing VirtualBox and Ubuntu
    Go to VirtualBox and download the Emulator. Then goto Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu and grab Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and install it in the emulator. This process is quite straight and you find many howtos on the internet.

Installing Zarafa and z-push
    I simply followed this Howto to install Zarafa on Ubuntu: HOWTO: Zarafa exchange replacement - Ubuntu Forums . I skipped the Mail part as I use other mail servers and use Zarafa only for Contacts, Calendar and tasks.
    Important: When downloading Z-Push, use the latest 1.3RC2 or if you know how SVN works, use the AS12 branch as it includes many fixes.
    Another "problem" are timezones ( as usual ), you need to set the timezone in:

* Ubuntu, run tzconfig and follow the instructions
    * Zarafa: /usr/share/zarafa-webaccess/config.php
    * Z-Push: /var/www/z-push/config.php

and last, but not least on the Pre. Disable network Timezone and select yours.

With this I'm able to sync my Pre with Zarafa and work with the really good web Gui from zarafa.

Privacy
    This howto is in German: Dem pre beim Datenschutz auf die Sprünge helfen - Palm Pre Forum / web OS Forum - xda-zone.de & palm-pre-forum.de - Forum für Windows Phone und Palm pre , read the second post. In short, you need to have root access:

0. mount -oremount,rw /
    1. /sbin/initctl stop rdxd -- data collection service
    2. /sbin/initctl stop uploadd -- upoloader
    3. chmod -x /usr/bin/contextupload or save them somewhere ( /media/internal ) and delete it
    4. save /etc/event.d/rdxd und uploadd somewhere and delete them, this prevents the service from being started.
    4.5 mount -oremount,ro /
    5. Disable Backups in the menu.

Hope this helps someone.

can someone help me with step #4?

How do I do this? I ran this in putty and it gave me an error
  13.    #14  
    You mean the "Privacy" step? Please post the exact Error Message and check for typos.
    Great Post Damnregister! I installed zarafa and ldapd and z-push
    - I installed zarafa according to your explanation, the only difference I followed the instructions here ZCP on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS - Zarafa wiki because there is an Ubuntu image available and I wasn't otherwise able to get webaccess working with virtualbox+fresh ubuntuS
    -My problem: webaccess is working..but only from the host pc :-( I have a NAT connection and my webaccess IP is like 192.168.XX.XXX Do I have to configure a static IP? Some other settings on the network-apache2 or VMWare?

Any help or suggstion, please?
    I know that your question was some time ago. But perhaps it still helps you.
    If you want to have access to a virtual machine from other pcs in your lokal network, its best set the networking of your vitual machine to bridged mode. That means your VM shares the physical network interface with the host computer, but has a separete mac address and IP address. You can set up a fixed IP or better let the DHCP server give it a reserved IP address. With this settings all computers in your local network have access to your VM.

I also tested Tine2.0 and I like it more than Zarafa. The advantage is, that it needs only Apche, MySQL and PHP. These are available as Installation packages also for Windows. In the meantime there is also a plugin for thunderbird for syncing contacts. The user management is easier than with Zarafa. (if you use ldap, then this does not matter)
  16.    #17  
    I found some problems with Tine, thats why I stay with Zarafa.

Tine is missing some Contact fields like the InstantMessaging field, thats why Synergy does not connect IM contacts.
    Also Tine has currently no simple import for contacts and no import for calendar at all.

All these things should get fixed in the future.
    The newest version of Tine2.0 can import contact data via csv import. I did'nt fount a possibility for import contacts in Zarafa. If you check out the latest revion from subversion, you will find that there is lot of work going on. Perhaps there will be a caldav support in the future.
    There are lots of us out here who don't like The Cloud. I think there should be a poll.
    Hi

Sorry to bring back this old thread. I am wondering if anyone else has taken similar approaches nowadays? I am thinking about Zimbra as a home server.

any takes?

thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast