Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cpfcornejo
  1.    #1  
    Here is the easiest solution for installing Novacom on a win 7 64 bit system.
    1. Download and install Java
    2. Download WebOS Quick Install v3.1.2
    3. Run WebOS Quick Install v3.1.2
    4. When prompted to download WebOS Doctor, do so, select your carrier and OS version and download it to the same directory where WebOS Quick Install v3.1.2 is located.
    5. Put your Pre in Developer Mode
    6. Connect your Pre via USB and select "Just Charge"
    7. In WebOS Quick Install go to File/Options/Device to use and select USB Device.
    8. Click on button to "Attempt Novacom (re)installation"
    9. Click on "Close"
    You're done!
    Last edited by BillP3393; 05/25/2010 at 04:31 AM. Reason: updated version number for wosqi
    Bill
    Thanks Bill, this was very helpful to me. Happy New Year.
  3.    #4  
    That's correct, all you need to do now is follow the above instructions.
    Bill
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    doesnt work for me
    followed instructions exactly
  5.    #6  
    cr12, who is your carrier and what version of the OS are you using?
    Bill
    yeaup same here followed instructions and all that pops up as if its going to install, but dosent install anything??? i am running windows vista ultimate (64) and have a pre on sprint.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Bill, Many man thanks for this. I was going around the bend trying to get it to work with no joy. Your solution worked perfectly.
    ERROR: no device found.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Novacom, re-downloaded WebOS Quick Install, etc.

I think the problem stems from my not having found all the instructions in my first glance. Yesterday I was in a hurry and in a brief search didn't see the stuff about installing WebOS Quick Install. So, when I put my Pre into Dev mode and plugged it in, the Novacom install failed. Now I have done it all in the correct order (multiple times) and still can't get it to work.

Ideas?
    I havent ever been able to get mine to work on my Win7 64bit machine for about a year now. I always have to go back to my XP Tablet Edition to get it connected. I have tried all solutions so hopefully this will work for someone. I will try again when I get home to see if something has changed over the last few months.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    I havent ever been able to get mine to work on my Win7 64bit machine for about a year now. I always have to go back to my XP Tablet Edition to get it connected. I have tried all solutions so hopefully this will work for someone. I will try again when I get home to see if something has changed over the last few months.
    I was just like you, i could never get it to work until i stumbled upon this, try it out and see if it works.

click on the start button and in the search type in "services" and open the application that is called Services and has a gear as the icon. Once opened scroll down to Palm Novacom and see if it is started. If it isn't then double click it to open it's properties and under "startup type" set it to automatic if it is not already there. Press Apply then Ok and it should be up a running. I have a pic of what it should look like.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I found out that Palm device driver (for my HP Touch pad) is not recognized in my Win 7 64bit. I connected my HP Touchpad to my other laptop (Win 7 32bit) and the device driver got autom automatically recognized.

The issue only occurs when connecting my HP Touch Pad after pressing "Power+volume up" and connecting to Win 7 64bit OS. If connected via USB storage mode, my HP Touchpad is recognized as external storage (WIn764bit and also in WIn732bit.)

Any idea resolving the Win764bit issue is higly appreciated.
    hayduke7 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfcornejo View Post
    I found out that Palm device driver (for my HP Touch pad) is not recognized in my Win 7 64bit. I connected my HP Touchpad to my other laptop (Win 7 32bit) and the device driver got autom automatically recognized.

The issue only occurs when connecting my HP Touch Pad after pressing "Power+volume up" and connecting to Win 7 64bit OS. If connected via USB storage mode, my HP Touchpad is recognized as external storage (WIn764bit and also in WIn732bit.)

Any idea resolving the Win764bit issue is higly appreciated.
    By "power + volume up" do you mean that you're starting up on "bootie" mode? (i.e. does the screen show a big USB-like logo?)

I just stumbled across a side-effect of this mode recently. If you happen to have a debug version of bootie installed, then entering bootie mode should also start "mass-storage" mode on a tablet - the entire flash disk is visible to the outside world. (if you do have the debug bootie you'll probably also see few lines of text on the TP's screen: pmux version 3 startup; usb reset.....

If you have the non-debug bootie, then all you'll likely see on the USB is the /media/internal filesystem.

I'm currently trying to find out if I am allowed to post the debug bootie versions and the utility that is needed to write it to flash. (We're also moving this weekend - to the other building here in Sunnyvale - so it may take a while for me to get answers on this).

The best part about the debug bootie mode is that you can make a full image backup of your device or restore a full backup in case something....bad....happens...

edc
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent Hewlett-Packard or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own warped point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP and Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by chejlava View Post
    By "power + volume up" do you mean that you're starting up on "bootie" mode? (i.e. does the screen show a big USB-like logo?)

I just stumbled across a side-effect of this mode recently. If you happen to have a debug version of bootie installed, then entering bootie mode should also start "mass-storage" mode on a tablet - the entire flash disk is visible to the outside world. (if you do have the debug bootie you'll probably also see few lines of text on the TP's screen: pmux version 3 startup; usb reset.....

If you have the non-debug bootie, then all you'll likely see on the USB is the /media/internal filesystem.

I'm currently trying to find out if I am allowed to post the debug bootie versions and the utility that is needed to write it to flash. (We're also moving this weekend - to the other building here in Sunnyvale - so it may take a while for me to get answers on this).

The best part about the debug bootie mode is that you can make a full image backup of your device or restore a full backup in case something....bad....happens...
    Any update on this? I'd love to be able to backup the entire thing...
    Anyone know if chejlava is around or know him? We could really use the tool he was suggesting to raise the growing dead TPs and Pre3s.
    Ed C. email address no longer works, the HP one. He has github postings but his contact email in there is HP also and it is a dead address. Still searching my database to see if I have other contact info.

Kurt.

Found him, sent email to see if he will check out the forum again.

Trying contact method #2...
    Last edited by KURT B; 10/07/2016 at 06:58 AM.
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by KURT B View Post
    Ed C. email address no longer works, the HP one. He has github postings but his contact email in there is HP also and it is a dead address. Still searching my database to see if I have other contact info.

Kurt.

I'm alive... my old ID had an @palm.com address so I can't even reset the password (and the one I had saved doesn't work...)
    I'll have to dig around in my old Palm/HP stuff to see if I still have any of the goodies... It may be stashed on a hard drive in a drawer somewhere, too.

You all are _much_ more dedicated to webOS that I am. I guess I was just a mercenary. I do still use my TouchPad, but it is getting harder and harder to use for web stuff.... still fine for email.

ex-chejlava
    now 0x0edc
    Quote Originally Posted by KURT B View Post

Kurt.

Awesome.

Thanks.

We need his knowledge and if he is anywhere near Atlanta, I'm willing to part with a few beers (or Cokes) and a burger for any assistance he could provide with this.
    Bump.

Hoping there might be some update on this for Christmas. Maybe, possibly.