1.    #1  
    I plugged my Pre into my PC via the USB cable using the USB option in order to try a couple of new wallpapers. When I was done, I removed the cable from the phone. My PC freaked out and re-booted. There was absolutely no activity at the time. (Done this many times before with no problems) I was a little disappointed cause I just bought a new PC with an I7 CPU and Windows 7. Is there a proper way to remove the phone after being connected using the USB port?
    The pin-out of a USB cable is basically a +5v, Ground, and two data wires for transfer. It's possible that you have a cable that is damaged and could be grounding out when you make a twist the the cable. If I were you, I would replace the cable, it's probably the easiest/cheapest solution. Remember, swap (hardware) until it stops - start cheap!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks James. There may be another issue. When I use the PC option to safely remove hardware, I get the message" Windows can't stop your Palm Novacom device because a program is still using it. Close any programs that might be using the device, and then try again later." I suspect it may be one of the stupid programs that HP puts on the PC that starts up in the background upon bootup and is monitoring all the drives for some reason or another. Just guessing, sigh.........
    You might be right about the HP software locking the device so it cannot be removed, but also remember that most virus scanners start scanning removable drives on mount. I dont really know how you would fix this issue, if that is the issue. However, as far as linking it to the "rebooting" issue of your PC, software is not likely to cause a the reboot issue. The Windows NT kernel (Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7) should keep software and drivers in userland, so unless it's a faulty hard drive, display driver, or something else that would be crucial to the system functioning, it should not have the ability to crash the system. This is windows though...