1.    #1  
    3 days ago I dropped my pre in water. I've kept it in silica beads and rice which seems to work very well. I've been looking for people with the exact same problem as me, but I couldn't find anything really. I've gone phoneless for the past 3 days and it has been surprisingly hard. Today I decided to turn it on and hope for the best and it did turn on and seems to work perfectly well except for the touch screen. It doesn't register that I touch it at all on any part of the screen. I've noticed a bit of moisture in the screen but that seems to have gone down quite a bit (very very slowly).
    I called Sprint and asked if I could activate and new phone while waiting for this one to dry out or until I decide to get a new one, but because I have insurance I cannot do that because if this one doesn't end up working they won't be able to send me my pre, instead they would send a new one of the one that I had activated.
    I just want to see people's opinions on if I should call now and have them send me a new one for the $100 or if I should stick it out a bit longer and see if it comes to. I don't want to spend that hundred, but it is also a huge inconvenience not having a phone right now.
    Has anyone had this problem before?
    Any help?
    Last edited by chelsea00marie; 12/31/2009 at 06:06 PM.
    You're gonna have to replace it with insurance. I JUST went thru this. My wife dropped hers down a storm drain during the biggest storm of the season. I recovered it and it slooooooowly started to kinda work...then nothing. Some people are going to tell you to lie to a sprint store and say that it 'just stopped working right' because they can't tell if its been water logged or not. The little water sticker is buried in the device and sprint's not authorized to open it up.

Take your pick. I chose insurance because of a ding it had on it. I couldn't claim warrenty cuz it looked like it was from the drop.

Be weary though....insurance WILL send you a refurb and it may look okay BUT could still have problems. 1st replacement had an insane amount of screen wobble and the 2nd was solid but the speaker makes a crazy crackling noise when trying to make a call. Should get the 3rd in a day or two. Ill hope for the best.
    On the flip side just because it's a refurb doesn't mean it will have problems. I've gotten refurbs in the past and they've been fine.
    I read that dumpin it in a bowl of rice may help... google that, might be a techcrunch article and just read it the other day.... hope that helps you.
    Some people are going to tell you to lie to a sprint store and say that it 'just stopped working right' because they can't tell if its been water logged or not. The little water sticker is buried in the device and sprint's not authorized to open it up.
    Even if you convince them to do a warranty replacement the LDI will be checked sooner or later, and you're going to have a very unpleasant surprise on your bill.
  6.    #6  
    well thanks a bunch everyone. i did end up having to get a new one. =[ good news is i got that thing in less than a day. when they say express shipping they mean it!
    i'm having no problems with my new phone and i'm taking it in tomorrow to get the contacts transferred.
    kinna sucks having to waste $100 for a dumb mistake. but at least i won't do it again. =D... hopefully.