Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'm the author of the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor, and I develop it on a Mac laptop.

Just install md5sum and gnutar from MacPorts and the XCode developer tools from Apple, and just run the Makefile.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod. Both for the prompt response and for the original meta-doctor. Much appreciated.

I will report back with any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'm the author of the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor, and I develop it on a Mac laptop.

Just install md5sum and gnutar from MacPorts and the XCode developer tools from Apple, and just run the Makefile.

-- Rod
    Respect is due. rod your meta docs has changed the game. thanks a million. I spend hours just reading up on your webos tactics.. i had to pay homage..also i just got the meta from my guestos to my host os . got the make file right as well...but when i ran the doc from the hostos (the doc) did not recognize the phone. but window did recognize the palm device.(my limited knowledge lol)I guess I may need to reinstall the novacom drivers. any input is appreciated.i did this with little focus.so i will try again. ..thanks too all of you.. keep it up..
    Last edited by hdking08; 04/08/2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: i forgot to mention
    i forgot to reset the phone b4 i ran the doc. im running it now
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    I will report back with any issues.
    What an AMAZING tool! Thanks again, Rod.

Reporting back, but just to those mac users who want to use this without a lot of hurdles.

I tried using MacPorts, but found it a little obscure (i.e., it did not warn how many packages it was installing before installing them), so I switched to Fink (much more visible as to what is installed before installation occurs). Having said that, Fink vs. MacPorts is a personal preference thing engendering lots of debate which is beyond the scope of this guide. This guide assumes use of Fink (though I am sure analogous MacPorts packages can be used).

I started following the guide on page 1, but found that it had a lot of extraneous steps for non-VirtualBox users, so I switched to using the steps found on the link @ Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals .

With Fink (64 bit on Mac OS 10.6.3, 64 bit) installed (and FinkCommander 64-bit helping out with a nice GUI), I installed hfstar (improved version of gnutar), sd5deep, git, and patchutils as supporting tools. I also found that I had to install wget (with the optional ca_certificate = /sw/etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt that you find when you do cmd-I on wget in FinkCommander so as to use ssl and security certificates of 10.6 for wget command); not sure wget was needed (probably could have used the Fink-included curl command), but I wanted to remain as true to the webos-internals tutorial as possible. No issues with this installation of Fink or related tools.

I then followed the steps for any Linux installation (as described at the webos-internals link above), except as follows:
    1. I skipped the steps for installing the supporting tools (git-core (git under Fink), patch (patchutils under Fink), java (included in OS 10.6), gnutar (hfstar under Fink), sd5sum (sd5deep under Fink), and wget), since I had already done those installations under Fink above; and
    2. I used nano instead of gedit for editing the Makefile file; gedit was not installed on Mac OSX by default, and I preferred not to install an additional program (even under Fink) when just not needed. No apparent deleterious effects from this change in text editors.

The slowest thing about this very smooth, very fast process was my internet connection (a SLOW ATT DSL connection @ my parents house - yikes) for downloads; the rest went off without a hitch and very quickly (64 bit was noticeably quick for compiling).

Instead of the "up to 10 minutes", it took a total of 85 seconds to run its meta-doctor magic, once all was setup as above. AWESOME.

Thanks again, Rod and grndslm.
    This is probably an easy fix, but whenever I try to install Ubuntu, I don't get a ubiquity graphical installer and the Ubuntu screen basically freezes, is there anything I can do to fix this?
    Last edited by evandgreat; 04/14/2010 at 11:30 PM.
  6.    #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by evandgreat View Post
    This is probably an easy fix, but whenever I try to install Ubuntu, I don't get a ubiquity graphical installer and the Ubuntu screen basically freezes, is there anything I can do to fix this?
    It "basically freezes"??

So, you can't click on the screen and move the mouse around??

You should be able to click the Install icon. If you can't, then there's really too many things you could try.

You could try downloading the "alternate" 9.10 cd from ubuntu.com...

umm.. using debian??

using wubi?

using cygwin?

There's a ton of solutions.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quick question: Does this meta doctor permit me to tweak Sprint's 1.4.1.1 so that it runs on the Verizon Palm Pre Plus? Or, do the hardware differences (i.e., 16 GB vs. 8 GB, etc) preclude the meta doctor from working?

Please provide any input, as I do not want to brick my Pre Plus.
  8.    #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    Quick question: Does this meta doctor permit me to tweak Sprint's 1.4.1.1 so that it runs on the Verizon Palm Pre Plus? Or, do the hardware differences (i.e., 16 GB vs. 8 GB, etc) preclude the meta doctor from working?

Please provide any input, as I do not want to brick my Pre Plus.
    sd_matto...

I haven't done it myself, but I've heard of it being done. Just REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK, and you should be good to go.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I am sure that I am overlooking and just ignorant to what I am doing wrong but here goes my error i am at step 9ish :

root@jbcross-desktop:~/meta-doctor/downloads# make unpack patch pack
    make: ***No rule to make target 'unpack'. Stop.

I appreciate you input, and help as being in uncharted territory for me... Thank you.
    A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money
  10.    #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcross View Post
    I am sure that I am overlooking and just ignorant to what I am doing wrong but here goes my error i am at step 9ish :

root@jbcross-desktop:~/meta-doctor/downloads# make unpack patch pack
    make: ***No rule to make target 'unpack'. Stop.

I appreciate you input, and help as being in uncharted territory for me... Thank you.
    a) did you properly edit the Makefile? did you verify that the changes stuck after you saved and exited the editor (you can use gedit if you don't like nano )??
    b) what directory path and filename are you using for that Doctor that you downloaded? (use "ls" or cd" commands in Terminal or just type "nautilus ." by itself to open up the current directory with a GUI file manager.
    c) which version/carrier doctor are you using? which carrier phone are you using?
    I'm using Mac and instaled MacPort via -dmg file and skipped to step 8
    When I open terminal as root user and type
    aptitude install git git-core patch build-essential linux-headers-generic linux-source-2.6.31 sun-java6-bin virtualbox-guest-additions virtualbox-ose-guest-x11
    or
    git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    it ends with error "Command not found"

I suppose it's for linux and not Mac, but what should I use on Mac to make everything right?

I have installed Ubuntu linux and all steps are clear now
    Last edited by gods_servant; 05/02/2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Problem solved
    how can you determine which version webos the phone is using? and what model? cuz i just bought a pre plus from ebay, and the only menu i get is the palm profile. im trying to get meta-doctor to bypass that menu. im stuck. it's a pre plus from verizonwireless.

ok i found out the model version it's p101eww, now i just gotta figure out the webos..
    Last edited by opexes; 05/03/2010 at 02:03 PM.
  13.    #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by opexes View Post
    how can you determine which version webos the phone is using? and what model? cuz i just bought a pre plus from ebay, and the only menu i get is the palm profile. im trying to get meta-doctor to bypass that menu. im stuck. it's a pre plus from verizonwireless.

ok i found out the model version it's p101eww, now i just gotta figure out the webos..
    If you plan to use Verizon, then just use something like these options below. If you're not gonna use Verizon, then just enable REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK. Shouldn't be too hard...

# Uncomment the features that you wish to enable below:
    # BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1
    BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    # INCREASE_VAR_SPACE = 1
    ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    # REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z
    ok, i thought since you wrote "Grab current WebOS Doctor version for your specific carrier ... WebOS Doctor Versions" i needed to know the exact version on my phone, so i can use 1.4.0 even if my phone version is 1.4.1.1 and vice versa.. got it now. however im stuck on step 10 "cp bu<TAB>pre<TAB>web<TAB> ~/Des<TAB>gue<TAB>" i enter that into the terminal but from web <tab> forward it doesn't do anyting. can i just wite out the whole string? please keep in mind i never touched linux/unix or hack much of anything, total noob.

alright wrote out the string cp build/pre-p101eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/webosdoctorp101ewwverizonwireless-1.4.1.1.jar~/Desktop/guestOS

i get `cp--help' for more info..

hmm

ok got it to flash and it's working like a charm! thx you! guide is awesome sauce!
    Last edited by opexes; 05/03/2010 at 08:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Looking for some help. I have a pre plus from verizon with a communications board from a sprint pre. I was able to dr the phone with a sprint rom but have been unable to get my data profile to update. Manually programming the device permits voice calls. I basically used the sample permissions in the OP with the addition of removing the carrier check.
    Quote Originally Posted by giblet View Post
    Looking for some help. I have a pre plus from verizon with a communications board from a sprint pre. I was able to dr the phone with a sprint rom but have been unable to get my data profile to update. Manually programming the device permits voice calls. I basically used the sample permissions in the OP with the addition of removing the carrier check.
    You're way outside the bounds of what the meta-doctor does, or will do.

You're going to need custom NVRAM programming for that, and that's an area that I do not have the information with which to assist you.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Could someone help me:
    First I renamed my O2 German WebOS Doctor to webosdoctorp100ueu-1.4.1.jar and followed the steps and when I got to make unpack patch pack I got an error:

mkdir -p downloads
    Please download the correct version of the webOS Doctor .jar file
    and then move it to downloads/webosdoctorp100ewwundefined-1.4.1.1.jar (i.e. the downloads directory that was just created under the current directory).
    make: *** [downloads/webosdoctorp100ewwundefined-1.4.1.1.jar] Error 1
    So I renamed the above mentioned webosdoctorp100ueu-1.4.1.jar to webosdoctorp100ewwundefined-1.4.1.1.jar and run the same command. It was doing something and then I got a second error:

rm -rf build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1
    mkdir -p build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1
    cp downloads/webosdoctorp100ewwundefined-1.4.1.1.jar build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1/webosdoctorp100ewwundefined-1.4.1.1.jar
    ( cd build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1 ; \
    unzip webosdoctorp100ewwundefined-1.4.1.1.jar META-INF/MANIFEST.MF resources/webOS.tar resources/recoverytool.config )
    Archive: webosdoctorp100ewwundefined-1.4.1.1.jar
    inflating: META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
    inflating: resources/webOS.tar
    inflating: resources/recoverytool.config
    mkdir -p build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1/webOS
    tar -C build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1/webOS \
    -f build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1/resources/webOS.tar \
    -x ./nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz \
    ./nova-installer-image-castle.uImage ./castle.xml ./installer.xml
    gunzip -f build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1/webOS/nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz
    mkdir -p build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1/rootfs
    tar -C build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1/rootfs \
    -f build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1/webOS/nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar \
    -x ./usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse ./usr/lib/ipkg/info ./etc/event.d ./md5sums
    touch build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1/.unpacked
    rm -f build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1/.patched
    [ -d patches/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1 ]
    make: *** [build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1/.patched] Error 1
    My question is: There seems to be a newly built WebOS Doctor Image in /meta-doctor/build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1 folder and I was wondering If I can use it? Or am I doing something wrong with Meta-Doctor? Don't forget - a big n00b!
    By the way... I uncommented the following lines:
    BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    Quote Originally Posted by StevaSRB View Post
    Could someone help me:
    First I renamed my O2 German WebOS Doctor to webosdoctorp100ueu-1.4.1.jar and followed the steps and when I got to make unpack patch pack I got an error:

So I renamed the above mentioned webosdoctorp100ueu-1.4.1.jar to webosdoctorp100ewwundefined-1.4.1.1.jar and run the same command. It was doing something and then I got a second error:

My question is: There seems to be a newly built WebOS Doctor Image in /meta-doctor/build/pre-p100eww-undefined-1.4.1.1 folder and I was wondering If I can use it? Or am I doing something wrong with Meta-Doctor? Don't forget - a big n00b!
    By the way... I uncommented the following lines:
    BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    The steps you followed are wrong.

Put the filename back to 1.4.1 and then run

make clobber all-wr

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    so heres where I'm stuck. I have already meta'd my phone. And what I am trying to do is sign in to my palm profile. But heres the kicker. The modem on my phone is bad, and whenever I run the firstuse app (over wifi) it says there is a phone error and I need to call palm...

any ideas?
    anybody?
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast