Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterH View Post
    First of all: Thanks for the Meta-Doctor! I used it a couple of times now and it never failed!

Except... speaking of "first use"..

Your "first use" patch is only valid for english pre's.

You patch "/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse/appinfo.json".

For german language pre's you need to patch "/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse/resources/de_de/appinfo.json" - likewise for other languages.

Maybe you should comment this in the Makefile.

-Walter
    Ah, that explains why the first use icon disappears when you change the language. I'll fix the meta-doctor so it patches all languages.

Thanks!

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I just bought a new phone but i don't want to hook it up to bell untill my other plan is done on the 16s, So i want to use it as a PDA for now,

1 i want to skip the log in and all that crap, but on the 16th i want to actually hook it up for bell, would i have to do another doctor to bring it back to where i have to activate it,?

Also, i just realized once GSM version comes out i'm never using CDMA again, I pay 400 bucks, i should be able to use the device for anything but phone calls, BELL YOU SUCK.

Thanks?
  3.    #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by mairboy View Post
    I just bought a new phone but i don't want to hook it up to bell untill my other plan is done on the 16s, So i want to use it as a PDA for now,

1 i want to skip the log in and all that crap, but on the 16th i want to actually hook it up for bell, would i have to do another doctor to bring it back to where i have to activate it,?

Also, i just realized once GSM version comes out i'm never using CDMA again, I pay 400 bucks, i should be able to use the device for anything but phone calls, BELL YOU SUCK.
    If you intend to use the cellular radio, do not enable BYPASS_ACTIVATION. I think that enabling BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP should be fine enough for you to use it as a PDA until you want to hook up service.

After you disconnect service, concept is the same... just use Meta-Doctor and you'll always be able to use it for "anything but phone calls".
    Ok - I have been following this guide as suggested to me....

I get to the stage of loading the webosdoctor to be edited - ie step 8, it begins to load it then tells me it cannot write to the file as it has "no space left on device"

Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by lankyb View Post
    I keep getting this error:

root@ubuntuV:~/meta-doctor# mount -t vboxsf hostOS ~/Desktop/guestOS/
    /sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: Protocol error

i "cd /" and try again and same thing:

root@ubuntuV:/# mount -t vboxsf hostOS ~/Desktop/guestOS/

I can't get mounted. Anyone else see this error?
    Im having this Protocol error also even though Ive rebooted the VM after setting up the share. Did you ever solve the problem?

Thanks,
    Gx

PS Great guide grndslm
    I had the same error.

Try to click on (Virtualbox) menuevices / Install Guest Additions.
    Then, you will have an icon call "VBoxAddition" on the Desktop, click on it and copy all the files in a new Directory.
    Depending on your system (32 or 64bit), you'll have to run :
    ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run
    ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x64.run
    But first, you need to type : chmod u+x (with the right file)

Hope this help
  7.    #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by brian-boitano View Post
    Ok - I have been following this guide as suggested to me....

I get to the stage of loading the webosdoctor to be edited - ie step 8, it begins to load it then tells me it cannot write to the file as it has "no space left on device"

Any ideas?
    Umm... sounds like you need more space.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    Im having this Protocol error also even though Ive rebooted the VM after setting up the share. Did you ever solve the problem?

Thanks,
    Gx

PS Great guide grndslm
    Thanks a lot.

Sounds like you've already done this step...

5. While waiting... press the Right Ctrl key to get back to your hostOS. Create a new folder somewhere on your hostOS to use as a shared folder; let's call this folder "hostOS". Now, in the VirtualBox (VBox) window (the same one that Ubuntu is installing in)... go to "Devices" -> "Shared Folders..." -> click the tiny icon in the top-right corner with the '+' sign -> find and double-click the folder you just created -> "Choose" -> select "Make Permanent" -> "OK" -> "OK".
    ... and THEN rebooted, right?

And then you entered in this one command...

aptitude install git git-core patch build-essential linux-headers-generic linux-source-2.6.31 sun-java6-bin virtualbox-guest-additions virtualbox-ose-guest-x11
    ???

From that point, the modprobe & mount commands should work...

modprobe vboxvfs
    mkdir ~/Desktop/guestOS/
    mount -t vboxsf hostOS ~/Desktop/guestOS/
    Thanks for the response grndslm.

Yes I followed the steps to the letter but am still getting the protocol error.

root@ubuntu-desktop:~# modprobe vboxvfs
    root@ubuntu-desktop:~# mkdir ~/Desktop/guestOS/
    root@ubuntu-desktop:~# mount -t vboxsf hostOS ~/Desktop/guestOS/
    root@ubuntu-desktop:~#

I did notice a fail happening during the aptitude command...see below. Could this have anything to do with it?

Gx

Setting up linux-headers-generic (2.6.31.20.33) ...
    Setting up linux-source-2.6.31 (2.6.31-20.58) ...
    Setting up virtualbox-ose (3.0.8-dfsg-1ubuntu1) ...
    * Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules [ OK ]
    * Starting VirtualBox kernel modules * Disabling the hardware performance counter framework
    * No suitable module for running kernel found
    [fail]
    invoke-rc.d: initscript virtualbox-ose, action "restart" failed.

Setting up virtualbox-ose-source (3.0.8-dfsg-1ubuntu1) ...
    Adding modules to DKMS build system
    Doing initial module builds
    Installing initial modules
    Done.
    * Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules [ OK ]
    * Starting VirtualBox kernel modules [ OK ]
  9.    #149  
    Griffinx...

That is a typical warning in which it "heals" itself.

Make sure that your share folder is setup properly in VirtualBox:

Now, in the VirtualBox (VBox) window (the same one that Ubuntu is installing in)... go to "Devices" -> "Shared Folders..." -> click the tiny icon in the top-right corner with the '+' sign -> find and double-click the hostOS folder you just created on your host machine [Windows?] -> "Choose" -> select "Make Permanent" -> "OK" -> "OK".
    Restart one more time after double checking that.

Then try those 3 commands with modprobe, mount, etc.

It should work after that. If it doesn't, consider Googling "virtualbox shared folders" to see if you can see some other instructions that give you a general idea of what you're trying to accomplish here.
    THANKS IN ADVANCED. you guys are great .palm pre sprint cdma on merto pcs.i went to down load NFS from the games gallery and was told to reset .and after the rest my pre was back to activation error. i figured this is the best place to start any clues and thanks ..i have all the software running ,but have not accessed the make file for some reason.is this necessary..ubuntun. vbox ect.. all steps went fine upto this point. i never saw a web os doc in the host os folder i created ...did i make a mistake else where?. but i got that far in 15 mins..any help is appreciated. again thank you all. window vista..
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Griffinx...

That is a typical warning in which it "heals" itself.

Make sure that your share folder is setup properly in VirtualBox:

Restart one more time after double checking that.

Then try those 3 commands with modprobe, mount, etc.

It should work after that. If it doesn't, consider Googling "virtualbox shared folders" to see if you can see some other instructions that give you a general idea of what you're trying to accomplish here.

Thanks grndslm but it still wouldn't work after all that.

Anyway I managed to ftp the new metadoctor file to the internet and save it back to my PC so I got around the problem.

Gx
  12.    #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by hdking08 View Post
    THANKS IN ADVANCED. you guys are great .palm pre sprint cdma on merto pcs.i went to down load NFS from the games gallery and was told to reset .and after the rest my pre was back to activation error. i figured this is the best place to start any clues and thanks ..i have all the software running ,but have not accessed the make file for some reason.is this necessary..ubuntun. vbox ect.. all steps went fine upto this point. i never saw a web os doc in the host os folder i created ...did i make a mistake else where?. but i got that far in 15 mins..any help is appreciated. again thank you all. window vista..
    First of all, you're gonna need to rephrase your questions to be more specific.

Second of all, the Meta-Doctor's only job is to help bypass carrier activation. It does not have anything to do with activation on other carriers. As a matter of fact, if you figure out how to get a Sprint Pre on Metro... please let me know the deets.
    yes the metro part is easy it is in the forums and it work. yes all i want to do is bypass the activation thats it. i just was not sure if this is the proper place to post. yes i need access to the program screen which is the dialer.. simple bypass of the activation screen will get me to where i need to be. thanks for not flaming the noob.. your answer for what the doc does helps also. so thanks again. im going to try again later today. great tut ..got 90 % done with no prob i barely tried . we will see. but i just need to bypass activation
  14.    #154  
    Well then... the default settings I gave as an example should work for you. I'd probly leave USB Networking disabled unless I actually knew what to do with it, tho.

# Uncomment the features that you wish to enable below:
    # BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1
    BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    # INCREASE_VAR_SPACE = 1
    ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    # REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z
    Since you're planning on actually using the cellular radio...

BYPASS_ACTIVATION should be disabled
    BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP should be enabled

... just like above.
    hey grndslm your the man thanks a bunch. thats exactly what i figured. all i did is try to download a game from the gallery. and it said i need to reset. and after that the activation error occurred.. as i recall i got lost doing the make file.. i assume i create it and save it and when i run the doc it will be properly updated.. but i did not have a copy of the doctored meta in the hostos folder ..so i know i made a small error with this part of the process. any help is appreciated..just need to clarify those 2 small issues and all should be well..as for the quality of the tut. it took me 17min. after i had all file downloaded to complete the process...funny im not complete ..lol thanks again
    Last edited by hdking08; 04/07/2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: on 2nd thought.
  16.    #156  
    hdking...

Essentially, here's what you're doing:

1) Downloading everything you need.
    2) Editing the Makefile (data set, adverb) for the Meta-Doctor (instruction set, verb) to run to your liking, then save it.
    3) Making your new Doctor... obviously with that make command: "make unpack patch pack"
    4) Copying it to your Shared Folder or FTP server or what have you, so that you can use it on your host machine.
    5) Running the new Doctor. If you don't like it, check out the end of Step 9 so that you can clear things up and make sure you have the most up to date Meta-Doctor.
    when i type the make file command it brings up a blank page i assume that i copy and paste the commands into.
    :
    # Uncomment the features that you wish to enable below:
    # BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1
    BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    # INCREASE_VAR_SPACE = 1
    ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    # REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z
    close and save in the text editor.sorry i forgot the name im new to ubuntu..but i love it ...quick responsive no fluff
    elite@elite-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install git-core
    [sudo] password for elite:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    git-core is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    elite@elite-desktop:~$ git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    fatal: destination path 'meta-doctor' already exists and is not an empty directory.
    elite@elite-desktop:~$ git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    fatal: destination path 'meta-doctor' already exists and is not an empty directory.
    elite@elite-desktop:~$ wget http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p...0ewwsprint.jar
    --2010-04-07 23:44:00-- http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p...0ewwsprint.jar
    Resolving palm.cdnetworks.net... 174.35.8.154, 174.35.8.155
    Connecting to palm.cdnetworks.net|174.35.8.154|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
    2010-04-07 23:44:00 ERROR 404: Not Found.

elite@elite-desktop:~$ gedit Makefile
    elite@elite-desktop:~$ make CARRIER=sprint unpack patch pack
    make: *** No rule to make target `unpack'. Stop.
    elite@elite-desktop:~$ gedit Makefile
    elite@elite-desktop:~$ make unpack patch pack
    make: *** No rule to make
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Thanks for the guide, grndslm. Much appreciated.

I am a Mac OSX user with MacPorts installed, but I am confused as to what steps I need to take (Step 2, quoted below, is the source of my confusion). Do I need a Ubuntu/VirtualBox installation to make this work and, if not, what/how to I install required items from MacPorts to make this work without a Ubuntu/VirtualBox installation? If you could update the guide (or provide an alternate guide) for those of us with Macs/MacPorts who may not need a Ubuntu/VirtualBox installation, would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for enabling me to customize my use of my PP+.

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Here's the steps I used to use the Meta with a Sprint ROM.

. . .

2. If using Windows, Download and Install VirtualBox (ELSE skip to step 8; Mac users who don't know how to already use DarwinPorts can continue to step 3).

. . .

8. Now you need to prepare a few things for the Meta-Doctor. Open Firefox and find this post so that you can copy and paste each of these entire command lines (just Google "meta-doctor guide" and it should be the first result). Each command begins in bold and must be copied in its entirety.

(HINT: To copy & paste in Linux, simply highlight what you want copied and then middle-click inside the terminal to paste.)

sudo -s
    • Insert password, hit Enter.

aptitude install git git-core patch build-essential linux-headers-generic linux-source-2.6.31 sun-java6-bin virtualbox-guest-additions virtualbox-ose-guest-x11
    • Agree to Java terms; Use the Tab key to shift to the "OK" button and then Enter to select it, and then select the "Yes" button to finalize the agreement.

git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    mkdir meta-doctor/downloads/
    cd meta-doctor/downloads/

wget -c palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p14r0d02252010/sr1ntp140rod/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar
    • Rename the file accordingly [with proper model (p100eww or p100ueu), carrier, dash, and then proper version number], as seen at step 10 on the Meta-Doc Wiki or like so, with the 1.4.0 example...

mv web<TAB> webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.0.jar
    cd ..

9. Now it's time to actually learn how to use the Meta-Doctor!!
    • This command will open up the nano editor so you can examine the actions of the Makefile.

nano Makefile
    • Make sure to get the CARRIER string right, as can be seen in the Meta-Doc Wiki.
    • By default, the Meta-Doctor does NOTHING. You must uncomment (OR remove the # from the beginning of these few lines) each specific feature of the Meta-Doctor that you may need from the Makefile.
    • Here's what the beginning of my Makefile looks like ...
    • When you're done, just hit Ctrl+X to exit and 'Y' when it asks to save your changes.

make unpack patch pack
    • If this isn't working for you, you probly didn't put the file in the proper downloads/ directory, set the CARRIER variable in the Makefile... or it is searching for ssh keys that you don't have.

10. Once it's finished building, transfer the meta'd-doctor to your shared folder.

modprobe vboxvfs
    mkdir ~/Desktop/guestOS/
    mount -t vboxsf hostOS ~/Desktop/guestOS/

• If you don't receive any errors, you should be able to copy the file to your guestOS/ shared folder and it will show up in your hostOS/ shared folder...

cp bu<TAB>pre<TAB>web<TAB> ~/Des<TAB>gue<TAB>
    • *PRO TIP*: If you plan on using this guestOS more than once, you can have it automatically mount your shared folder for you. Just add this mount command right before "exit 0" in the /etc/rc.local file ( nano /etc/rc.local ):

mount -t vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=1000 hostOS ~/Desktop/guestOS

11. Go back to your hostOS' shared folder, then open your meta'd doctor and let it work its magic on your phone.
    • Make sure you have backed up EVERYTHING, including the /media partition (mass storage with media, etc.). Everything will be gone in just a few seconds.
    • Triple check that you have gotten your MSL from Sprint (or any other CDMA carrier).
    • Make sure the phone is plugged into the USB cable.
    • Restart your device (Opt + Sym + R) and hold the Volume Up button until you see a huge USB symbol on your screen.
    • Now start the meta'd-doctor with a right-click ("Open With..." -> "Java") or just a double-click... whatever works for you. (java -jar webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.0.jar if necessary).
    • Press "Continue", "Next", and all that junk. Give your meta'd-doctor all the time it needs to work its thing.
    • If for some reason you hit a wall and the last button is not clickable, you more than likely need to [re]install the Novacom drivers on your desktopOS, which can be found here.

12. Upon restart, Sprint [and other CDMA] users will need to reset the modem's programming. Here are the instructions from the Meta-Doc Wiki...

13. Kiss Rod Whitby on the cheek.

14. Play with Ubuntu some more if you're not familiar with it already. Or practice around with ANY operating system that can be installed in VirtualBox. Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    Thanks for the guide, grndslm. Much appreciated.

I am a Mac OSX user with MacPorts installed, but I am confused as to what steps I need to take (Step 2, quoted below, is the source of my confusion). Do I need a Ubuntu/VirtualBox installation to make this work and, if not, what/how to I install required items from MacPorts to make this work without a Ubuntu/VirtualBox installation? If you could update the guide (or provide an alternate guide) for those of us with Macs/MacPorts who may not need a Ubuntu/VirtualBox installation, would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for enabling me to customize my use of my PP+.
    I'm the author of the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor, and I develop it on a Mac laptop.

Just install md5sum and gnutar from MacPorts and the XCode developer tools from Apple, and just run the Makefile.

-- Rod
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast