Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    If BYPASS_ACTIVATION is strictly for using the cellular radio... wouldn't the name DISABLE_CELL_RADIO be a bit better?

I just remember you saying that BYPASS_ACTIVATION bypasses writing two variables, and from what it seems like... it's all to disable use of the cell radio.
    BYPASS_ACTIVATION does not disable the cell radio. It just doesn't activate it. You could theoretically take out the two lines it adds to FirstUse, re-run FirstUse and activate the cellular side normally.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2.    #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    BYPASS_ACTIVATION does not disable the cell radio. It just doesn't activate it. You could theoretically take out the two lines it adds to FirstUse, re-run FirstUse and activate the cellular side normally.

-- Rod
    Right...

How about BYPASS_CELL_RADIO?

BYPASS_ACTIVATION is just too broad for what it actually does, which seems to be bypass the use of your cellular radio.

If someone enables BYPASS_ACTIVATION, and they intend to use the cellular radio... they're gonna be disappointed, aren't they? I guess this depends on whether we're talking about GSM or CDMA perhaps...or maybe not at all.

I just feel like the name BYPASS_ACTIVATION is too broad, and the description of it is still rather vague.

I was under the impression, at first, that activation had to do with Palm Profile activation. But it's not. Then I was under the impression that it's essentially to activate the cellular radio by "writing these two variables"... but now you're telling me that it's possible to activate with a carrier even with BYPASS_ACTIVATION enabled.

Just don't understand. It should be more obvious to a user when he wants to enable/disable the BYPASS_ACTIVATION function, and that point seems to be "If you are going to use the cellular radio..." then don't enable BYPASS_ACTIVATION.
    Hey guys, i tried doctoring the 1.4.0 webOS onto the Palm Pre CDMA Sprint version, but I can't seem to bypass the activation screen.
    I've done it before on a GSM Pre but it seems as if it doesn't work on the CDMA Pre.
    Anyone else experiencing the same issue?
    Help would be appreciated, as even the Wi-Fi doesn't work in order for me to activate the device.

P.S on a side note, is it normal for the CDMA version to not be able to insert SIM cards into? A picture of the back of a CDMA palm pre without the back cover would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    hey omar . Its CDMA so there is no SIM slot.. i had to reply to the only possible answer i know good luck..
  5.    #125  
    Correct. American CDMA contains no SIM cards. I guess the idea is that it prevents theft... forcing you to go thru the carrier (either phone, chat, or D.I.Y. thru the website) to "legitimately" change your phone.

If you plan on using the cdma radio... then I think it's recommended to leave BYPASS_ACTIVATION disabled, like so...

Without a doubt, BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP needs to be enabled, like so....

Code:
    ########################################
    ## START OF AREA FOR END USER CHANGES ##
    ########################################

# Uncomment the features that you wish to enable below:
    # BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1
    BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    # INCREASE_VAR_SPACE = 1
    ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    # REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z
    Last edited by grndslm; 03/24/2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: slight correction
    Wow, you were right, the BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP needs to be enabled. Thanks a lot grndslm
    Fantastic guide. Thanks to those who were involved in putting it together. Now on to getting my O2 Pre working on Softbank.
  8.    #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by areal View Post
    Fantastic guide. Thanks to those who were involved in putting it together. Now on to getting my O2 Pre working on Softbank.
    Thanks!

I mostly just wrote this because I hate repeating myself and would obviously rather want others to have the least amount of trouble as possible... oh yea, and give the developer some more time to focus on more technical problems.

Guess I succeeded.
    Hey people! I am trying to meta my Palm Pre. It is an unlocked GSM version from O2 in Germany. I am trying to use that ENABLE FIRST USE WIFI in the Makefile, it compiles successfully, but when I doctor my Pre, the WiFi option is nowhere! If I meta it with the BYPASS ACTIVATION, everything is alright, but I cant use App Catalog, Backup and Update. Any advice? Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by fearking View Post
    Hey people! I am trying to meta my Palm Pre. It is an unlocked GSM version from O2 in Germany. I am trying to use that ENABLE FIRST USE WIFI in the Makefile, it compiles successfully, but when I doctor my Pre, the WiFi option is nowhere! If I meta it with the BYPASS ACTIVATION, everything is alright, but I cant use App Catalog, Backup and Update. Any advice? Thanks in advance!
    You can try enabling BYPASS ACTIVATION and SHOW FIRST USE APP (I don't remember exactly what it's called, but something along those lines). If you enable both of these, your phone will bypass the activation screen but still have the First Use app in the launcher. After you get a data connection or wifi, you can open First Use and sign into a profile. You will then have access to the App Catalog, Backup, and Update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    You can try enabling BYPASS ACTIVATION and SHOW FIRST USE APP (I don't remember exactly what it's called, but something along those lines). If you enable both of these, your phone will bypass the activation screen but still have the First Use app in the launcher. After you get a data connection or wifi, you can open First Use and sign into a profile. You will then have access to the App Catalog, Backup, and Update.
    I tried that already. The First Use app is in the launcher, I turn on WiFi, start the program, it asks me for language, and when I select it, it just restarts the pre, and I can't create or sign in to any profile.
    I tried that already. The First Use app is in the launcher, I turn on WiFi, start the program, it asks me for language, and when I select it, it just restarts the pre, and I can't create or sign in to any profile.
    Hmm.. That's weird. Try redoctoring your phone. It sounds like something got messed up. Also make sure you select the right carrier when compiling the Doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Hmm.. That's weird. Try redoctoring your phone. It sounds like something got messed up. Also make sure you select the right carrier when compiling the Doctor.
    I already redoctored it like 5 times. I'm sure I selected the right carrier, I selected the o2 (wr), but still no luck. I tried to enter the hungarian vodafone apn settings (I have a hungarian Voda SIM), it accepts the settings, but still can't create the profile. I even see the "G" on the top that I think it refers to GPRS, but nothing.
    After it reboots, use the SDK to run palm-launch com.palm.app.firstuse

Also, if you have an unlocked GSM then you don't need to bypass activation.

-- Rod

-- Rod
    Now I will try to doctor it with an unmodified Doctor, and will try to enter Vodafone Hungary APN settings. If thats a no-go, I'll try what you said. I have the SDK downloaded already, but I'm totally a noob at that one.
    Now I will try to doctor it with an unmodified Doctor, and will try to enter Vodafone Hungary APN settings. If thats a no-go, I'll try what you said. I have the SDK downloaded already, but I'm totally a noob at that one.
    Just use the wifi to create the profile - no need for an APN.

-- Rod
    Just use the wifi to create the profile - no need for an APN.

-- Rod
    Okay, then I'll try to doctor it with the ENABLE WIFI stuff, and will try what u said.
    Okay, I tried what u said, but I can't start the Palm SDK. When I start the Palm Emulator, it just closes the window automatically

In the window it says something about "Java is not a recognisable command" or what. I'm using Windows Vista X64 SP2.
    Last edited by fearking; 03/29/2010 at 05:49 AM.

-- Rod
    OMG. You sir, are a GOD! This one really did the job. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
    First of all: Thanks for the Meta-Doctor! I used it a couple of times now and it never failed!

Except... speaking of "first use"..

Your "first use" patch is only valid for english pre's.

You patch "/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse/appinfo.json".

For german language pre's you need to patch "/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse/resources/de_de/appinfo.json" - likewise for other languages.

Maybe you should comment this in the Makefile.

-Walter
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 17 ... LastLast