50 Global Posts
    This guide isnt 100% noob proof.. but its pretty close

Worked great for me... thanks!
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman6235 View Post
    This guide isnt 100% noob proof.. but its pretty close

Worked great for me... thanks!
    Nice!!

It's even impressive to get such a guide to 98% noob proof, so I'd say that's quite an accomplishment in itself. But if you have any recommendations to make it more readable... I'm all ears.
    Hi

I've got an O2 pre, to try to unlock it. Thanks guys for a very good info to start with.
    Sure i already activated it without registration. Now another question - wifi still does not work. I can't use web or any other internet related stuff in the Pre. the firmware 1.3.5.2 wr. Any tips to help me?

PS i do not have any O2 cards, therefore there is my T-Mobile simcard is in and it asks for the Network Code - maybe this is the reason?

Max
  5.    #85  
    maxrfon:

1) As long as you can bypass the carrier-specific activation [First Use] app... wifi should work.

2) If the device is SIM locked... I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about it. This is why it's important to buy "unlocked GSM" devices, because you can't just unlock the hardware without the magic key.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Nice!!

It's even impressive to get such a guide to 98% noob proof, so I'd say that's quite an accomplishment in itself. But if you have any recommendations to make it more readable... I'm all ears.
    Well since you asked

I consider myself a noob, although I am very computer savy. I did finally get the thru your tut. but there are a couple of steps that are a bit confusing. I was gonna post a while back that I thought you made a mistake in your tut. until I realized that it was ME who was making the mistake.

Here specifically are the problems I had:

In step 7 you say
    Rename the file accordingly [with proper version], as seen at step 10 on the Meta-Doc Wiki.

mv webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.3.5.jar
    It took me 3 days to realize I was skipping this step because right after this the next step shows your Makefile, and you Makefile HAS the correct or most update version which is 1.3.5.1. I was finally able to get past this step when I edited the command line to:
    mv webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.3.5.1.jar.

Once I finally got past that step the next problem I had was in step 8.

You wrote
    cp build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.3.5/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.3.5.jar ~/Desktop/guestOS/
    I finally got pass this step when I changed the command line to:
    cp build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.3.5.1/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.3.5.1.jar ~/Desktop/guestOS/

The last thing that happen was once I had Meta-Doc up and running I "hit a wall" as you decribed in step 10, the last "Next" button was not clickable. I tried [re]installing the Novacom drivers on my desktopOS over and over but still it did not work. It was not until I rebooted my PC and tried again that everything worked like a charm.

Overall I think your tut. was great!! I was so proud of myself that I was able to make those small edits and get it running without much help. But I wonder if others have run into the same problems I did.
  7.    #87  
    Nice. Thanks completethought!!

I would've changed the version numbers in the guide, but I decided against that since everybody's gonna be using a different carrier & version from the guy next to them. Somewhere in there I definitely mention that you need to look at other resources as examples before copying & pasting. And in actuality, you shouldn't be copying and pasting these commands [even tho it looks like I make such a foolish recommendation ].

I think I'm gonna add this Pro Tip in there somewhere, and stress the importance of not copying & pasting... or at least making 110% sure that both the carrier and versions are correct in the filename.

I am almost positive that that was youngblu's problem above. First he started off by skipping a step, and then I believe he closed the terminal. Then later I could tell that he was copying and pasting things which he shouldn't have been copying & pasting.

I'll have to do this when I've caught up on other stuff. But I almost feel like such a punishment is appropriate for not following the links to the Meta-Doc Wiki and such and having the patience with such a task to do it right the first time. Hehehe....

But yea, I'll prolly just put [COLOR] tags around the common parts of filenames and variables in the Makefile that are most frequently edited.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I keep getting this error:

root@ubuntuV:~/meta-doctor# mount -t vboxsf hostOS ~/Desktop/guestOS/
    /sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: Protocol error

i "cd /" and try again and same thing:

root@ubuntuV:/# mount -t vboxsf hostOS ~/Desktop/guestOS/
    /sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: Protocol error

I can't get mounted. Anyone else see this error?
    Last edited by lankyb; 02/23/2010 at 12:43 PM.
  9.    #89  
    Did you follow the step in red, while Ubuntu was installing inside the VM??
    (*NOTE*: If you realize you've skipped this step in red later, simply do it and then restart your virtual machine... but just do it now and you won't have to restart twice!!)
    While waiting... press the Right Ctrl key to get back to your hostOS. Create a new folder somewhere on your hostOS to use as a shared folder; let's call this folder "hostOS". Now, in the VirtualBox (VBox) window (the same one that Ubuntu is installing in)... go to "Devices" -> "Shared Folders..." -> click the tiny icon in the top-right corner with the '+' sign -> find and double-click the folder you just created -> "Choose" -> select "Make Permanent" -> "OK" -> "OK".
    You must follow that step AND THEN reboot the VM!!

You must also follow the other steps about installing the guest-additions, which starts with that "aptitude install" command!!

Skip a step, and you'll run into a problem like this... yea.

Add another step that's not in the guide, and sure... you'll prolly get caught up in mistakes like youngblu was making.

Nowhere in the guide does it say do this: "cd /".... your shell should look like this all the time "root@ubuntuV:~/meta-doctor#".
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Hi All,
    Whilst trying to metadoctor I encounter the following error:

root@tal-laptop:~/meta-doctor# make unpack patch pack
    mkdir -p downloads
    Please download the correct version of the webOS Doctor .jar file
    and then move it to downloads/webosdoctorp100ueu-wr-1.4.0.jar (i.e. the downloads directory that was just created under the current directory).
    make: *** [downloads/webosdoctorp100ueu-wr-1.4.0.jar] Error 1
    root@tal-laptop:~/meta-doctor#

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Thanks,
    Tal
    Quote Originally Posted by talalal View Post
    Hi All,
    Whilst trying to metadoctor I encounter the following error:

root@tal-laptop:~/meta-doctor# make unpack patch pack
    mkdir -p downloads
    Please download the correct version of the webOS Doctor .jar file
    and then move it to downloads/webosdoctorp100ueu-wr-1.4.0.jar (i.e. the downloads directory that was just created under the current directory).
    make: *** [downloads/webosdoctorp100ueu-wr-1.4.0.jar] Error 1
    root@tal-laptop:~/meta-doctor#

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Thanks,
    Tal
    Have you done what it said to do?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Have you done what it said to do?

-- Rod
    Thank you for the speedy reply and your patience.

I've run

mv webosdoctorp100ueu-wr.jar webosdoctorp100ueu-wr-1.4.0.jar
    #Does this move the file to downloads/webosdoctorp100ueu-wr-1.4.0.jar?

and have set the carrier to wr.

I think that since i've made a mess of things and should delete any files and restart the process. but i'd encountered this problem beforehand.

Thanks again
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Nevermind, tried with your updated meta-doctor and all seems well.

Useful Gadget. and thanks for the linux intro
  14.    #94  
    MANY, MANY, MANY updates to the guide.

N00Bs should rejoice of my usage of the Tab Key... much less errors!! That annoying step in red just got its own step number, as well as did another step. And there's quite a few new Meta-Doc features that Rod implemented.

ENJOY!
    I have a quick question I haven't seen the answer to. If I check the Bypass Carrier Check, will it leave all my current settings alone? I am using my Pre on Cricket. I am very new to WebOS, coming from WinMo.

Thanks in advance for any information... I really want to upgrade to 1.4!
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by theclerk74 View Post
    I have a quick question I haven't seen the answer to. If I check the Bypass Carrier Check, will it leave all my current settings alone? I am using my Pre on Cricket. I am very new to WebOS, coming from WinMo.

Thanks in advance for any information... I really want to upgrade to 1.4!
    OK.... there's a Bypass_Activation and a Remove_Carrier_Check. I'm assuming you're talking about the latter.

If you use Remove_Carrier_Check, the only thing that should change is removing the custom carrier apps, like Sprint Nav, Sprint TV, NFL, etc...
    OK.... there's a Bypass_Activation and a Remove_Carrier_Check. I'm assuming you're talking about the latter.

If you use Remove_Carrier_Check, the only thing that should change is removing the custom carrier apps, like Sprint Nav, Sprint TV, NFL, etc...
    I am also having this issus with my Cricket Palm Pre, everything works internet and wifi, but cant access the palm catalog which i would love. Can you guide me, what i need to do?
  18.    #98  
    jyv18...

If this doesn't help you... I'm not sure I know what will.

Intro:

The Meta-Doctor accomplishes several tasks:

(1) Bypasses the need to create a Palm Profile (not typically recommended).
    Here's what the beginning of my Makefile looks like ...
    # Uncomment the features that you wish to enable below:
    # BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1
    TOUCH_RAN_FIRST_USE = 1
    ENABLE_FIRSTUSE_WIFI = 1
    MAKE_FIRSTUSE_VISIBLE = 1
    # INCREASE_VAR_SPACE = 1
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    # REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z
    Note that I've simplified some of the features in the meta-doctor, so this guide might need updating.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals