Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Sorry I didn't read the whole thread but I just want to bypass the first use app. My phone is already unlocked and using without any problem. Is there any alternative way to do this? Download availble for metadoctor?
    Quote Originally Posted by secure View Post
    Sorry I didn't read the whole thread but I just want to bypass the first use app. My phone is already unlocked and using without any problem. Is there any alternative way to do this? Download availble for metadoctor?
    I am seeking the same end result. However, I have gone through the process of creating lin virtual box (ubuntu 10.10). I got everything to work except the last step!! when entering the command : <make unpack patch pack> I get this error "please download the correct version of the webOS Doctor .jar file and then move it to downloads/webosdoctoratt-.jar"
    I see that this error was addressed just below where you have the command, but i have no idea what you mean by set Carrier... In the makefile i set the carrier to att..
    Please help me, all i want is to create a palm profile.. Ive already unlocked so that it run on my provider... so all im getting meta-doctor to do is to allow wifi account creation..
    Anything would be great. at the moment im kinda affraid to close the virtual machine incase something else break... probably not necessary, but ohh well
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    In the OP, it says "(1) Bypasses carrier activation (Do NOT use if you ever intend to use the cellular radio)."

Does that mean that I cant EVER use the cell radio again. As in, redoctoring with a normal doctor won't put this back to normal?
    Normal doctor will fix it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4.    #344  
    In the OP, it says "(1) Bypasses carrier activation (Do NOT use if you ever intend to use the cellular radio)."

Does that mean that I cant EVER use the cell radio again. As in, redoctoring with a normal doctor won't put this back to normal?
    That's a really good question, pointy!

I've never honestly understood what that feature does. Rod's description inside the Makefile would probly be better than that intro. The intro is kinda supposed to complement the Makefile's description, IMHO.

If you're just trying to bypass activation, I'd recommend using Palm's Bypass Tool. After using it, you can install the 'Show FirstUse App' patch from Preware. You'll then be able to sign into your Palm Profile over wifi.
    I come to this part and I don't understand
    First I paste this:

git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    mkdir ~/meta-doctor/downloads/
    cd ~/meta-doctor/downloads/

And what about this part I dont understand how to change this I have unlocked pre for o2
    wget -c palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p14r0d02252010/sr1ntp140rod/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar

And how to change this to my o2 pre.

mv web<TAB> webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.0.jar
    cd ~/meta-doctor/
    Quote Originally Posted by relex View Post
    I come to this part and I don't understand
    First I paste this:

git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    mkdir ~/meta-doctor/downloads/

And what about this part I dont understand how to change this I have unlocked pre for o2
    wget -c palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p14r0d02252010/sr1ntp140rod/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar

And how to change this to my o2 pre.

mv web<TAB> webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.0.jar
    cd ~/meta-doctor/
    I manege to reslove this it is
    eww=ueu
    sprint=wr

But I have another problem. When I come to this

make unpack patch pack

I got:

Please download the correct version of the webOS Doctor .jar file
    and then move it to downloads/webosdoctorp100ueu-wr-1.4.5.jar (i.e. the downloads directory that was just created under the current directory).
    make: *** [downloads/webosdoctorp100ueu-wr-1.4.5.jar] Error 1
    root@darioubuntu-laptop:~/meta-doctor/meta-doctor#
    Last edited by relex; 01/20/2011 at 02:43 PM.
  8.    #348  
    I manege to reslove this it is
    eww=ueu
    sprint=wr

But I have another problem. When I come to this

make unpack patch pack

I got:

and then move it to downloads/webosdoctorp100ueu-wr-1.4.5.jar (i.e. the downloads directory that was just created under the current directory).
    Do this:

cd ~/meta-doctor/downloads
    ls

what does it say? does it list anything in the folder?

I rename my doctors without a dash between the eww & sprint.... but if the Meta-Doctor is telling you to put a dash between there, then just try it with and without

After you're done renaming it... just type this again:

cd ~/meta-doctor
    make unpack patch pack

Also, make sure that the Makefile has the carrier & other variables set properly...
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post

Do this:

cd ~/meta-doctor/downloads
    ls

what does it say? does it list anything in the folder?
    root@darioubuntu-laptop:~/meta-doctor/downloads# cd ~/meta-doctor/downloads
    root@darioubuntu-laptop:~/meta-doctor/downloads# ls
    meta-doctor
    root@darioubuntu-laptop:~/meta-doctor/downloads#

meta-doctor is in blue[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post

After you're done renaming it... just type this again:

cd ~/meta-doctor
    make unpack patch pack
    I got:
    root@darioubuntu-laptop:~/meta-doctor/downloads# make unpack patch pack
    make: *** No rule to make target `unpack'. Stop.
  10.    #350  
    OK... Once you listed what's in the ~/meta-doctor/downloads/ folder... you should see why there is an error telling you there is no doctor in the downloads folder!!

Go back to the downloads folder:

And then download the proper Doctor by following the remaining steps in the guide:

wget -c http://link.to/file.jar

Rename it like the steps tell you:

mv file.jar file-1.4.5.jar

And continue on with the steps...
    Thanks for helping, I have problems with

modprobe vboxvfs
    mkdir ~/Desktop/guestOS/
    mount -t vboxsf hostOS ~/Desktop/guestOS/

It says
    can't create directory .../Desktop/guestOS/... file exists.

And I dont understand this:
    cp bu<TAB>pre<TAB>web<TAB> ~/Des<TAB>gue<TAB>

Do I need to enter cp bu then press tab key and then enter pre and again press tab key etc.
  12.    #352  
    Thanks for helping, I have problems with

modprobe vboxvfs
    mkdir ~/Desktop/guestOS/
    mount -t vboxsf hostOS ~/Desktop/guestOS/

It says
    can't create directory .../Desktop/guestOS/... file exists.

And I dont understand this:

Do I need to enter cp bu then press tab key and then enter pre and again press tab key etc.
    If tab completion isn't working, that means that you're not in the right folder or the folder/file that you're attempting to use tab completion on doesn't exist.

Depending on the version of Ubuntu you chose to run, the modprobe command might actually need to be "modprove vboxsf". The one that doesn't give you an error message is the one that works!

This part can be a little tricky if you don't follow the instructions to the T. There's an earlier part about how to set up the hostOS folder that most people don't get, so they'd need to restart virtualbox again.

So... I'd suggest that if it takes you longer than a minute to do this... just set up a DropBox account and upload the Doctor from your guestOS... then download it from your hostOS.
    Thanks for your guide, I finally manage to bypass activation

There is what I did different from your guide, instead using:

I use:
    cp bu<TAB>pre<TAB>webo<TAB> ~/Des<TAB>gue<TAB>
  14.    #354  
    Thanks for your guide, I finally manage to bypass activation

There is what I did different from your guide, instead using:

I use:
    cp bu<TAB>pre<TAB>webo<TAB> ~/Des<TAB>gue<TAB>
    Nice... I just went thru this a few days ago and noticed that there's a few things that have changed, especially when using a newer version of Ubuntu (different package names, different module names, etc.). And this was another thing...

But hopefully you learned how to double tab to list everything that begins with "web".

Learning is fun.
    I just installed wget on my OS X machine to do this and I get a 404 returned in the terminal when I try this:

wget http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p...0ewwsprint.jar

Is there a new or different location I could try to get this jar?
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.o View Post
    I just installed wget on my OS X machine to do this and I get a 404 returned in the terminal when I try this:

wget http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p...0ewwsprint.jar

Is there a new or different location I could try to get this jar?
    Nevermind, I just found the link to the list of all the jars in the wiki. Thanks for doing this guys
    hi I'm having problems running the aptitude part after installation of ubuntu. it says that there were no packages to be installed because they can't find any packages. do I have to be connected to the internet to do this? I'm trying to do this at the office would you know if I'm having problems with my connection here at work which is causing the problem? Thanks!
    to add to my previous post, I tried pinging google but got the following results:

3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2099ms

also I can't seem to do a copy and paste via the virtual box and my hostOS. I'm not sure if I've missed something
  19.    #359  
    Quote Originally Posted by lemy View Post
    hi I'm having problems running the aptitude part after installation of ubuntu. it says that there were no packages to be installed because they can't find any packages. do I have to be connected to the internet to do this?
    You most definitely need to have internet connection.

to add to my previous post, I tried pinging google but got the following results:

3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2099ms
    You have no internet connection inside VirtualBox.

also I can't seem to do a copy and paste via the virtual box and my hostOS. I'm not sure if I've missed something
    8. Now you need to prepare a few things for the Meta-Doctor. Open Firefox and find this post so that you can copy and paste each of these entire command lines (just Google "meta-doctor guide" and it should be the first result). Each command begins in bold and must be copied in its entirety.

(HINT: To copy & paste in Linux, simply highlight what you want copied and then middle-click inside the terminal to paste.)
    This step requires internet connection inside VirtualBox.

That's beyond my capabilities. Only time I never had internet connection was installing TinyXP on top of Ubuntu... and even that was only 1 outta 2 times. Dunno what to tell you besides save yourself some trouble and use a different machine.
    Many thanks! I'm a Verizon customer and jonesing for a Pre. Will this application work on a Verizon Pre? Or will any carrier Pre work? CB