Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Hi - I've a Palm Pre on UK 02 (so GSM).

If I bought a AT&T Palm Pre Plus (GSM) on ebay - and then follow this post correctly (& use BYPASS_FIRST_USE & BYPASS_CARRIER_ACTIVATION, will it allow me to use the pre plus with my current O2 sim card?

(the GSM forum doesn't seem to hold the answer)
    The Meta-Doctor does not deal with carrier locking of phones at all (intentionally).

-- Rod
    I am not sure why I am getting the Error as shown below..
    The Folder downloads and the .jar file name used is correct as well

Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Read message: "Download the correct version"
    Have you renamed the file according to instructions?
    Please find the file name just above /meta-doctor window.

I have the explorer behind the Meta-doctor window to show the file name and the location of the file.
    sorry.. my bad.. lack of sleep .. without full concentration leads to silly mistakes like mine.
    I am sorry.

Got it fixed.
    great tool!
    This is a fantastic thread, thanks so much for all of the effort you have put into this. I was lucky enough to win a Palm Pre Plus from the Palm Summer tour, but I can't affort adding over $350 a year in data plans to use it. I was able to get through this relatively smoothly.

I really want to download some apps, the problem is I don't have a Palm profile. When i try the first use app it tries to call Verizon and fails, I can't get beyond that. I do have wifi enabled. Any help in getting a new Palm Profile created would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhamel View Post
    This is a fantastic thread, thanks so much for all of the effort you have put into this. I was lucky enough to win a Palm Pre Plus from the Palm Summer tour, but I can't affort adding over $350 a year in data plans to use it. I was able to get through this relatively smoothly.

I really want to download some apps, the problem is I don't have a Palm profile. When i try the first use app it tries to call Verizon and fails, I can't get beyond that. I do have wifi enabled. Any help in getting a new Palm Profile created would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm not sure that you can create a profile over wifi.

-- Rod
    Oh that's disappointing... is this only true for Verizon phones?

It seems that some users have found a way to make this happen, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether it works for non-verizon phones. If I am understanding various posts here, one could load the Sprint software on a Verizon phone. Is anyone finding success in creating palm profiles with any of the software available? Unless I am able to add new apps, I'm not sure that it will be worth carrying a second phone.

Wayne Pan's blog (I'm a noobie so I can't include the link) implies that this does work, and rwhitby's program can do it. If anyone has had success in creating a new palm profile via wifi, I'd love to hear how you were able to do it.
    Last edited by mhamel; 07/08/2010 at 11:18 PM.
  10.    #212  
    I activated mine with Sprint and then canceled service later... so my profile was already created.

Perhaps Verizon's ROM is slightly different?

I always thought that the Meta-Doc would create a profile, but I'd never done it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I activated mine with Sprint and then canceled service later... so my profile was already created.

Perhaps Verizon's ROM is slightly different?

I always thought that the Meta-Doc would create a profile, but I'd never done it myself.
    i'm pretty sure you can create a profile over wifi, sprint phones do it, why shouldn't verizon phones do it.
    I am absolutely thrilled to tell you that I was able to get the Palm Profile created. Thank you all for the quick responses, trying to get somewhere with a new gadget tends to become an obsession.

So the first time around I uncommented bypass first use, disable upload daemon, activate usb networking. I specifically avoided bypass carrier activation since it said not to do this if you ever intend to activate, I thought if I became hooked, at some point I might break down and go for a data plan.

I created a new makefile and added bypass carrier activation, remove carrier check, remove model check and viola, immediately went to Palm Profile. I suspect that it would have worked if I just bypassed carrier activation, but I figured I'd go a little further just in case.

While it would be great if I could activate on Verizon at any time, if I ever decide to go with data, I assume I can just load the standard software back on the phone and I will be back in business.

Thanks again for the great work on this, I found a lot of information on the topic, but this was the only source with information that I could really digest and feel comfortable in trying to implement.
  13.    #215  
    Glad to hear it worked out for ya!!

And thanks for the kind words on my guide. It probly could have been made a bit simpler with Cygwin, but now you know how to install another operating system [on top of an existing operating system].. and can start destructively finding your way around the new operating system without damaging the old one.

I'd rather teach people the concept of sandboxing than how to turn Windows into something it's not.
    While I was able to access a number of apps, I believe over 1000, some apps that I really wanted, like Pandora were not showing up in the catalog. Apparently some users have experienced issues like this when replacing a phone or doing a software update. They suggest a partial erase, I tried this, however I am now unable to login to my profile, apparently after a partial erase you can no longer enable wifi... I guess I will have to reload the software from scratch again, but I don't know if there is any way to access all of the apps, at least with the Verizon variant.
    For anyone else in this situation, partial and full deletes were problematic for me. In both cases the phone rebooted but wanted me to activate through Palm, however I was unable to activate wifi.

The thing that really scared me was that holding the volume up button no longer got me into recovery mode. Unfortunately I can't remember the source of this solution, but if you take out the battery(keep it out), plug in the USB cable (Pre to PC), hold the volume up button and then replace the battery, the phone will go into recovery mode.

I tried another approach this time around, commenting out the vendor specific lines, unfortunately, I am still unable to access some apps, namely Pandora and Quizlet. I do now see VZ Navigator, it's not usable, but it seems like the vendor apps did install. The good news is that I'm back in business now, but I am desperate to get access to these apps, so if someone has had success, I'm all ears.
    If you can't find the apps you're looking for, it seems that you can get any missing application using IPK Fetcher-- another great tool, I was able to successfully install what I was looking for.
    If you can't find the apps you're looking for, it seems that you can get any missing application using IPK Fetcher-- another great tool, I was able to successfully install what I was looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhamel View Post
    For anyone else in this situation, partial and full deletes were problematic for me. In both cases the phone rebooted but wanted me to activate through Palm, however I was unable to activate wifi.

The thing that really scared me was that holding the volume up button no longer got me into recovery mode. Unfortunately I can't remember the source of this solution, but if you take out the battery(keep it out), plug in the USB cable (Pre to PC), hold the volume up button and then replace the battery, the phone will go into recovery mode.
    The Recovery page on www.webos-internals.org recommends this technique.

-- Rod