Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    so heres where I'm stuck. I have already meta'd my phone. And what I am trying to do is sign in to my palm profile. But heres the kicker. The modem on my phone is bad, and whenever I run the firstuse app (over wifi) it says there is a phone error and I need to call palm...

any ideas?
    Maybe try putting your phone in Airplane Mode then turning wifi on? I'm not sure what else you can do...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Maybe try putting your phone in Airplane Mode then turning wifi on? I'm not sure what else you can do...
    no dice... i saw in the tutorial that it said you can sign in via wifi, maybe i just made my meta incorrectly?
    Using this meta doctor.. can future update just can be done by just download using update applicatioan instead make other "cooked" WebOS doctor?
    hey guys.. i am on cosmote Romania..the operator is not in the db so i took another carrier modified the MCC and MCN, the APN and left blank for user and pass (as normaly is here) then i uploaded the file and now its not working... what am i doing wrong ?
    Hey,

I obviously didn't put the proper file in the proper downloads/ directory.
    Here is what I get after trying to unpack patch pack:

root@myname-desktop:~meta-doctor# make unpack patch pack
    mkdir - p downloads
    Please download the correct version of the webOS Doctor .jar file
    and then move it to downloads/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.1.1.jar (i.e. the downloads directory that was just created under the current directory).
    make: *** [downloads/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.1.1.jar] Error 1

Seems like it would be cake to fix, only probably is that I am Virtualbox illiterate. Help would be greatly appreciated? How do I move it to the correct folder?
    Last edited by bruinsbase; 06/10/2010 at 11:45 PM.
  6.    #186  
    bruinsbase...

Follow these 6 commands... Make sure you wget & mv the proper 1.4.1.whatever file, tho. This example is 1.4.0 only.

cd ~/meta-doctor/downloads/
    wget -c palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p14r0d02252010/sr1ntp140rod/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar

mv web<TAB> webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.0.jar
    cd ..
    nano Makefile
    make unpack patch pack
    Thanks for the prompt reply grndlsm. Your avatar is awesome by the way.

I ran into a bind for time last night and decided I would continue today. I decided to do the whole thing over again. Now it is giving me an error 1 when I make unpack patch pack. Here is what it says:

cp: cannot stat `/home/my name/.ssh/com.palm.wifi.prefsDB.sl': No such file or directory
    make: *** [build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/.patched] Error 1

I will leave my terminal open and wait for your response today. Thanks so much, I appreciate it. I am left with the following command line:
    root@myname-desktop:~/meta-doctor#
    What should I try now?

I only need this meta-doctor to bypass activation and download applications (I need this for a flashcard application for studying). Here is what I am inputing:

BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1
    # BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    # ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    # DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    # INCREASE_VAR_SPACE = 1
    ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    # REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    # REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z

Also, I followed your directions verbatim. No deviation.
    Last edited by bruinsbase; 06/11/2010 at 02:41 PM.
  8.    #188  
    bruinsbase...

you should check the Makefile one more time and make sure that the variables are edited properly. I believe there is another feature or two added in the Meta-Doctor.... and the Meta could be pulling features (ssh keys, wifi keys, etc.) that you don't have available.

There's also an ENABLE_TESTING_FEEDS or something like that... so I know that you should have more variables than what you actually have. Nothing from my guide should be copied and pasted. It's just an example.
    See below.
    Last edited by bruinsbase; 06/11/2010 at 06:53 PM.
    I'm starting everything over. Removing Virtual box and trying again from Step 4.
    Alright, I uncommented bypass activation and first use ONLY and I finally got through Step 9. You have no idea how elated I am right now.

Now I am stuck at the cp command.

After entering cp here is what I get:
    cp: missing destination file operand after 'build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/webosdoctorp100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1.jar~desktop/guestOS'
    Try 'cp --help' for more information.

And yes, I googled this problem.... and no I did not edit below the line in Makefile.

Where do I go from here? I assume everything is fine with the meta-doctor, now I just need to get into onto my hostOS.

What should I type now?
    or could I just drag the meta-doctor (what file is it?) onto my guestOS file which shows up on my linux desktop? (and then it will also show up in my hostOS?)

UPDATE:
    Ha, that's what I did. I copy and pasted (instead of just dragging) the 1.4.1.1.jar file. It shows up on my hostOS now. Let's see if this does the trick.
    Last edited by bruinsbase; 06/11/2010 at 07:11 PM.
  12.    #192  
    Yup... a bit of knowledge on the Linux core utils would be a good start.

I noticed you'd said somewhere earlier that Tab Completion wasn't working, and that when you tried opening the Makefile, it was blank! Clearly, it was because you were in the wrong directory.

Knowing what commands like cp, mv, ls, cd, pwd actually did would help out... but I guess it just took you a bit longer to realize it.

I've got one solution to fix most of the problems, hopefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Quick question just in case anyone knows:
    Is it possible to install an AT&T doctor on a French Pre Plus (given the fact they're both GSM Plus devices) or does a model check make that impossible (unless you meta-doctor)?
    I suspect the carrier check (att vs row) will stop that unless you use meta-doctor.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Thanks for your quick reply Rod.
    I'm thinking (just thinking) of replacing the azerty keyboard on my Plus with a qwerty one. If I install an at&t metadoctor on that, I wouldn't need to fix the keyboard mapping, or would I?
    The doctor does not affect the keyboard mapping at all. It is programmed into the NVRAM tokens at manufacturing, and is not normally modified thereafter, no matter what doctor you use and how many times you use it.

However, you can use the Meta-Doctor to change that manufacturing NVRAM token programming, and then forget about it ... but this is completely independent of which doctor you ask the meta-doctor to customise. You can have any of the three keyboard mappings on any device with any carrier by using the meta-doctor. No need to change the hardware if you just want the logical mapping of the keys to be different.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Did you manage to get that keyboard tucked in?
    I haven't actually replaced the keyboard on a good device yet. I've only taken apart two devices (which are still in pieces), and taken apart and put back together one device (which has a bad GSM board which doesn't respond when the kernel tries to talk to it).

However, when I get my unlocked GSM Pre Plus, there will be some keyboard swapping happening, cause now I've had enough practice to do it without breaking anything.

-- Rod
    I activated my azerty in Germany last night
    (AppCat is as expected)

I'm expecting a broken qwerty, and plan to practise a bit on replacing the keyboard, before I take a hammer to the azerty.
    You know that you will need to use the MetaDoctor at that time to reprogram the NVRAM token anyway, so why not just do it now to change the logical mapping in the meantime?

-- Rod
    There's a lot more differences than QWERTY/Z.

A=Q
    Z=W
    Q=A
    M=backspace
    W=Z
    comma = M
    backspace = comma
    Yep, and the Meta-Doctor will fix the logical mapping.

The keyboard circuitry is identical on all devices - it's just the painting on the top of the plastic and the NVRAM token which is different.

-- Rod
    (1) Bypasses carrier activation (Do NOT use if you ever intend to use the cellular radio).
    This kind of confuses me.

I want to use the Meta-Doctor to activate my phone using wifi only, so that I don't have to pay for data. Then once my phone is running, I plan on disabling data and only connecting to wifi. (I still want to make phone calls and send texts, just not pay for data)

What do I do?
  19.    #199  
    If the phone is stock, and all you want to do is use the phone...

BYPASS_FIRST_USE is really all you need. A new, stock Pre comes locked onto the First Use app... so that's all you need to get passed it.

BYPASS_CARRIER_ACTIVATION has always been a tricky one for me. Rod tells me that it just leaves two variables blank... hence, the warning to not enable that if you plan to use the cellular radio... which you are, with voice & texts.

Very confusing title for this thread, indeed, but I came up with this before I actually understood what all these features did.
    Thanks ^

On a side note, I've been trying to get this thing to work for 4 hours now.
    Now I am stuck on "make unpack patch pack"; not enough space on disk.
    Was trying to do this using liveCD, now installing Ubuntu as we speak..