1.    #1  
    Is there a way to back up my SMS on my Palm Pre?
    Yes, there's a thread on that somewhere. Try searching for it. It's got to do with the PalmDatabase.db3 if I remember correctly.

Here it is:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ng-phones.html

Sometimes it actually pays off to do a search instead of just blindly starting a new thread.
  3.    #3  
    Hi, Tomi666:
    Thanks for your response. I'm new to this and was probably too brief (and somewhat embarrassed) with my question. I actually did a pretty extensive search for info on backing up my SMS, including the link that you sent. What I left out is that what I found was too complicated for me. That is, the statement "You will need to have rooted your Pre" is like a foreign language to me. I don't understand it and so was hesitant to try. So...what I should have requested was: Is there a simple way to back up my SMS -or- can someone explain to me in layman's language how to do it. I do thank you for replying.
    Rooted pre isn't *that* complicated. Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

You can also use webos quick install which does not involve rooting http://www.precentral.net/how-back-y...le-information

Also, I think this guy is close to developing something workable that also does SMS message backup, although there's no app out yet. forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/212309-running-bash-sh-scripts-webos-app-13.html
  5.    #5  
    Thank you so much,tarirene. I was able to extract the info through the link you sent (for WebOS Install). Now...how can I be sure the SMS are "in there"? I can't open it. I also can't find anything in the forum that tells me how to do that. I found a link that let me export the Contacts (which I didn't really need), but not the SMS. Any thoughts on that? Many thanks in advance...
    hmm, well, you would have to install a database reader to view the sms messages inside... And there's no easy way I know of to extract them. And even if you could, there wouldn't be much point because they need to be in the same place in that databse file for the phone to be able to read it. What the point of the backup really is is to restore that file (again via quickinstall, just send the file to the same place you got it from) after wiping the phone. As long as you are working with the same version of webos, it works perfectly for restoring your old contacts, memos, sms conversations, etc.

if you really just want to read your sms files, I think people around here recommend the sqlite database browser... Which also lets you export tables to txt or csv files.
    Quote Originally Posted by eleanorew View Post
    Is there a way to back up my SMS on my Palm Pre?
    A simpler method would be to use Google Voice and your GV number. Then all of your SMSs would be backed up on GV and you can also save as text or word docs if you wanted multiple backups.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    A simpler method would be to use Google Voice and your GV number. Then all of your SMSs would be backed up on GV and you can also save as text or word docs if you wanted multiple backups.
    Wait a sec, how does this work?
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Sprint Palm Pre-