Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Hi
    This is driving me mad! I want to be able to view tube maps on my Pre but the Photo viewer renders the text fuzzy.

With my Treo/Centro, I used to be able to grabs maps off the Internet, lob them on my SD and then zoom in and view them in full detail (using Resco Viewer).

However, trying the same thing on the Pre leaves the text all fuzzy and illegible. I've tried blowing up the images before transferring them, and splitting them into smaller chunks but it still won't work.

Here's an example: http://alex4d.files.wordpress.com/20...re_2007_12.gif

On my Pre, the map is more or less unreadable.

Anyone got any tips?
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    My favorite program for the old Palms was Metro. MetrO I spent three days in London with an ancient B&W Palm as my only navigation reference, and didn't get lost once. They offer mass transit databases for most cities all over the world, and some include bus routes and train links as well.

Unfortunately, Metro is not available for the Pre, except running under the Classic emulator. Feel free to start an email campaign to get a port to the Pre. They do offer a web-based version though, which may be worth investigating.....
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    The Tube is on Google Transit as far as I can tell, why not just use that?
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    The Tube is on Google Transit as far as I can tell, why not just use that?
    Because Google Transit's map is nowhere near as good and it's a fat lot of good when you're underground without a signal.

I have other maps (rail etc) that aren't readily available online which I'd like to carry around with me, but the Pre doesn't seem up to the job.

Tomi: I don't think it'll be any different if I take a photo seeing as the images are saved as jpgs.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    If I take a picture of your GIF file onscreen with the Pre's camera, I can zoom in just fine and read everything. Thinking is nice, but it's actually trying stuff that will get you somewhere. Otherwise it's all talk...
    I'd like to know how you managed that seeing as the image measures up at 2,220 x 1,507 pixels.

Have you got a colossal monitor, or are you actually saying that you managed to grab part of the image?

That's not really what I'm after. I need the whole map in one image and preferably in better quality than photographing a screen.
    ~ MetrO has been updated to run under Classic, but that means paying for Classic.
    ~ Tube2 will not run under Classic, which is a shame as it would justify the cost of Classic on it's own.

So the real solution at this stage is to try and convince any of the above, or others, that the demand from webOS is great enough to justify writing a new version for webOS.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    If I take a picture of your GIF file onscreen with the Pre's camera, I can zoom in just fine and read everything. Thinking is nice, but it's actually trying stuff that will get you somewhere. Otherwise it's all talk...
    24'' That's not collosal.
    And I find it acceptable, but that's personal. Here's mine and this is just a first try. Could you upload a screenshot of what it looks like on screen?
    I can't capture the whole map because I haven't got a big enough monitor and - let's be honest - it's a hideous botch having to take pictures of a monitor just to get a readable map on my Pre.

My Treo and Centro managed this with no problems (although my G1 gave the same fuzzy image as the Pre), and it's a real bummer that I can't just copy over a full size map to the Pre and read it easily.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Have you tried the pdf version of the map found here? Maps | Transport for London

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...t-tube-map.pdf seems to view ok for me it could zoom in a bit closer but is still readable
    +1 on the pdf maps. I have downloaded and used several on my Pre. They were very clear and easy to read.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benuk View Post
    Have you tried the pdf version of the map found here? Maps | Transport for London

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...t-tube-map.pdf seems to view ok for me it could zoom in a bit closer but is still readable
    Hi - that's great, thanks. It's a bit of a pain that the Pre can't currently just read imported maps properly, but that PDF means at least I can take a tube map with me.

The PDF option only works for small PDFs - if you try to use the viewer on the the 1MB New Adlestrop Railway Atlas (a fabulous historical atlas of Britain's railways, btw) the zooming restriction renders it unreadable.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Anyone got any non-PDF practical solutions for larger maps?

Seems a bit weird that my Treo 650 can do something that my shiny new Pre can't!