Page 1 of 38 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Use the Anticipation Thread until webOS 1.3.5 is released.

Please post your feedback about the new webOS update into the appropriate forum:

webOS 1.3.5 New Features & Changes

webOS 1.3.5 Issues

webOS 1.3.5 Discussion

webOS Patch Discussion

From the article Palm Confirms 1.3.5: Speed, Battery, App Limit all to be improved, Plus Investor Call Notes

On today's investor conference call, CEO Jon Rubinstein just confirmed that webOS 1.3.5 is coming soon and will have a bevy of improvements, including:

Allowing for installation of more apps
    Enhances WiFi and app performance
    Improved battery life
    Increased speed and responsiveness on the Palm Pixi
    From Spint:
    WebOS 1.3.5 Build 194 Sprint Config 2.0 12/28/2009
    This update includes enhancements to the following:
    - Improvement in battery life optimization when in marginal coverage areas.
    - QCELP capability fix to allow play and audio of video sent via MMS.
    - Launch Google Maps or Sprint Nav when tapping an address from contacts.
    - Minimized package of MR size through binary difference. Customers can now download over 2G connections if necessary.
    webOS Updates
    Before you update to a new webOS, first remove any theme and then any patches you might have installed. Homebrew Apps, including Preware, do not need to be removed before a webOS update. If you don't know what a patch is you probably have never made one.

Remove All Patches and Themes At Once
    Using WebOS Quick Install:
    1. Remove themes. Click Tools → Themer → Revert to Default
    2. Remove all patches. Click Tools → Tweaks → Run EPR → Luna Restart

Using Preware:
    1. Remove themes. Tap Installed Packages → Theme → Tap your theme → Remove → OK → OK
    2. Remove all patches. Tap List of Everything then type "emergency" and tap Emergency Patch Recovery → Install
    3. Restart your phone. Press these buttons at the same time: Orange-Sym-R

Using webOS Repair Utility:
    1. Click Options → Compatibility Override On
    2. Click Scan/Repair
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/28/2009 at 01:57 PM.
    I'll just jump in here with the ultimate anticipatory question: does the creation of all these 1.3.5 threads serve as a hint that 1.3.5 is imminent?
    Last edited by wynand32; 12/16/2009 at 03:20 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    My thought exactly
    Video recording, no app limit and Speed (Latency BE GONE!), oh my?

(I can at least hope for these, right?)
    I was wondering when this thread was going to be up...
    I love updates!!! They make me feel fuzzy inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopperguy View Post
    Video recording, no app limit and Speed (Latency BE GONE!), oh my?

(I can at least hope for these, right?)
    +1

I'd also like all the bugs from 1.3.1 to be gone. Specifically:
    Shortened notification Sounds
    Lag
    "Too Many Cards" error running rampant
    Aux connection/speaker phone magic no longer works
    Email notifications very spotty
  8. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Any indication that this is still coming this month?
    All I want for Christmas is a new Bluetooth stack. I'm now officially angry with my Pre for its inability to work correctly with my Infiniti.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    For the first time I can remember, I don't care what I give or get this Christmas. I want to LOSE something - the %*$# LAG. Please, Santa, please!
  11. Pun
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Hopefully they fix the messaging...the mysterous disappearance of contacts in texts, and the mysterious re-appearance of every text you ever sent to a contact.
    I'm doing OK with 1.2.1. I'm not about to update anything until a few days have gone by. Too many horror stories with 1.3.1 and the only thing I can't do is add apps. I'm heavily rooting for voice dial, or at least autoanswer on the BT stack. That should be a given on a phone like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

webOS Updates
    Before you update to a new webOS, first remove any theme and then any patches you might have installed. Homebrew Apps, including Preware, do not need to be removed before a webOS update. If you don't know what a patch is you probably have never made one.

Remove all Patches and Themes - From Getting Started: WebOS Quick Install:
    1. Remove themes. Click ToolsThemer Revert to Default
    2. Remove all patches. Click ToolsTweaksRun EPRLuna Restart

Remove all Patches and Themes - From Getting Started: Preware:
    1. Remove themes. Tap Installed Packages Theme → Tap your theme → Remove → OK OK
    2. Remove all patches. Tap List of Everything then type "emergency" and tap Emergency Patch RecoveryInstall
    3. Restart your phone. Press these buttons at the same time: Orange-Sym-R
    These are very nice and thorough instructions. I would be very appreciative if something could be added as to what to do if the firmware update does a forced installation BEFORE you have a chance to remove the patches. Take for example, my wife. I installed patches for her prior to the last update. I was away when the last update came out. She had no idea as to how to remove anything so I told her to just decline the update installation whenever the Pre asked. However, it eventually told her that the next time the phone was charging, it was going to install the update regardless. The phone would've been dead long before I returned so there was no choice but to recharge it and let it do its thing. The update wiped out patches that were installed on the phone. When I try to reinstall them, the installation bombs out on the Pre with an error that the patch is already there.

I HAVE searched and dug through multiple threads in which the subject comes up by find no definitive answer. I have tried the emergency uninstall all patches from both Preware and Quick Install but they have no effect on the problem. I also tried a PC app (forget the name) that compares files in the Pre to the ROM and is supposed to restore any changed ROM files to the original. Somehow that had no effect either. Most persons in these threads ended up wiping the phone & starting over. Even if Palm's cloud backup was reliable, and it's NOT, I still wouldn't want to wipe the phone and start over. I just have too many other things on there that I neither want to lose, nor do I have the time to set everything all up again. There has to be practical way to fix this without a complete wipe.

There is always going to be some unfortunate soul for whom the upgrade hits them unaware. Could we please add some definitive instructions on what to do when it does? It will avoid a lot of threads and aggravation. I don't know if it makes a difference but there was no theme loaded on her Pre. It was just patches.

Thanks,

Bob
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    i'm setting expectations low. how about something simple, like animated gif support?
    No matter what it is it won't silent an extremely loud minority who like to remind us everyday that they are leaving or that the lag while opening the browser has ruined their life.

Palm impress me.. silence them..

Hitmen are an okay solution to this problem.
    I think I'd like my Email notifications to actually tell me when I get pushed mail, that'd be nice. And stopping the ridiculous 10%-per-hour light usage battery drain would be rather nice too, though that may be a hardware problem rather than software.
    Naturally, GPU support blah blah etc. would be nice, but I'd say that'll come at CES 2010 at the earliest *sigh* ah well, bright side, this is the best phone I've ever owned, iron out the kinks and it'll be damn near perfect in my eyes.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I've not loaded a full fledged theme on my Pre, but I have done quite a bit of messing about, changing default icons, bg images, and other such images, mostly in the default apps. Will I need to put back in place the originals before doing the update?
    To my knowledge, you have to remove all OS modifications (Patches and Themes.) But apps are fine, they won't be affected by an update.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    what to do if the firmware update does a forced installation BEFORE you have a chance to remove the patches.
    Remove patches today, problem avoided.

...or run Preware "emergency patch removal" immediately after the update is finished. It can be found in Preware under linux applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanpre View Post
    Will I need to put back in place the originals before doing the update?
    Yes. If you are using the lastest version of preware, there should be an uninstall option for the theme. Otherwise you can connect to your PC and use quickinstall to retore the default theme.
Page 1 of 38 12345611 ... LastLast